How To Apply For Minor Passport With Foreigner Father

secret
Posted
Posted

Hello everyone.I got some very challenging questions. The situation is this, I am married to a foreigner and we have a 3 year old son which born and raised in the Philippines. We would like to take him to the country where we are staying hence, we need to apply for a passport. we checked with my husband's embassy and they suggested that we apply for a philippine passport and if we want him to obtain his father's nationality, then we should apply for his passport here. my question is, what are the documents required to get him a philippine passport? i checked the DFA website and i found out the list of the documents required but it's not clear to me. can i just go to DFA with his NSO certified birth certificate and everything will be ok? he's carrying his father's family name. your suggestions are highly appreciated.thanks so much.

Jake
Posted
Posted (edited)
Hello everyone.I got some very challenging questions. The situation is this, I am married to a foreigner and we have a 3 year old son which born and raised in the Philippines. We would like to take him to the country where we are staying hence, we need to apply for a passport. we checked with my husband's embassy and they suggested that we apply for a philippine passport and if we want him to obtain his father's nationality, then we should apply for his passport here. my question is, what are the documents required to get him a philippine passport? i checked the DFA website and i found out the list of the documents required but it's not clear to me. can i just go to DFA with his NSO certified birth certificate and everything will be ok? he's carrying his father's family name. your suggestions are highly appreciated.thanks so much.
http://manila.usemba...th-abroad7.htmlHello Secret,Unfortunately, you did not reveal your husband's citizenship. I'm a little perplex about your husband's embassy suggesting to obtain a Philippine passport for your 3 year old son. As in my case, I simply made an appointment to the US Embassy in Manila, to obtain a "Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA, or Form FS-240)". Within a half a day, I was able to get certificates for each of my 3 children who were born in PI. And then the following week, I was able to get new US passports for them.Again, you did not specify which embassy you visited but hopefully, the link above (US Embassy Manila) would give you some basic guidelines that would apply to other foreign embassies. Good luck to you -- Jake Edited by Jake
spell chek my spilling

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted (edited)
since your living in timbuktu, maybe you can visit a travel agency they have other info that can be assistance to you .and explain it in a clear manner that you can understand. the DFA web site is EXPLAINS VERY Clear on what the requirements are.sometimes these websites can be a little confusingit is ashame that after the birth of your child that you/him did not register this child,(with fathers home country embassy) by doing this, it would save alot of time,but living in timbuktu i am sure things are done much differently. what ever you do, OBTAIN this childs " dual" citizenship at the earliest date, who knows what can occur tomorrow, by having his "OTHER" countriescitizenship/passport , You have protected(invested in) his future Under Section 1, Article IV of the 1987 Philippine Constitution, the following are citizens of the Philippines, thus: [1] Those who are citizens of the Philippines at the time of the adoption of this Constitution; [2] Those whose fathers or mothers are citizens of the Philippines; [3] Those born before January 17, 1973, of Filipino mothers, who elect Philippine citizenship upon reaching the age of majority; and [4] Those who are naturalized in accordance with law. Corollary is Section 2 of the same which defines natural-born Filipino citizens as “those who are citizens of the Philippines from birth without having to perform any act to acquire or perfect their Philippine citizenship. Those who elect Philippine citizenship in accordance with paragraph (3), Section 1 hereof shall be deemed natural-born citizens.” Prescinding from the foregoing provisions of the Constitution, it is very clear that your son is a Filipino citizen in view of the fact that you are a Filipino citizen. If XXXX laws adopt citizenship by blood, thus, recognizing as citizen a child who is born of a XXXX father, your son is also treated as a XXXX citizen. Hence, your child has dual citizenship. As a consequence to your child’s recognition by the 1987 Constitution that he is a Filipino citizen, he can thus apply for a Philippine Passport. Edited by ed villas

joeatmanila
Posted
Posted (edited)

I am not sure if i will help but here is what i did.I am a Greek citizen. married with filipina and we live at manila. Our son was born here and wife and son have not been to my country yet.Got his filipino certificate of birth at NSO, authenticated it at DFA, took it to greece officialy translated it to greek, sent it to the municipal court in my country, delcared him as my son in my family registry. Took his greek brith certificate from the greek municipal court (ofcourse after he was declared) and now he can apply for a greek passport but instead of that the Greek embassy can give him a special traveling document to enter Greece and from there he can issue a passport etc etc.It's easier than you think!!!!! and no need to pay any fixers at DFA or NSO manila, their services are superb.On a recent trip we did to Hong Kong he travelled with his filipino passport. No problem if he has a filipino passport or not. For as long as you declare him as the son of your husband to his country he becomes a citizen of that country too (unless his country has different procedures...check with his embassy).

Edited by joeatmanila

ekimswish
Posted
Posted

One of my daughters was born in Taiwan and the other in Korea, to me (Canadian) and my Filipina wife. In both cases, I just took their local birth certificates already in English to the Canadian embassy, and just filled out the forms, simple as that. They had their one year temporary passports in 3 weeks, and their citizenship cards (which I applied for with the passports, as required) within the year. I did all that at the respective embassy, and they mailed it all back from Canada. My daughters are in the Philippines now, but are still not Filipino citizens. Their one year balikbayan stamp will come to an end in late November, so I'll have to decide if I'll apply for residence, citizenship, or just take them and the wife on a short vacation out of the country at that time, giving them another year on reentry with the wife.

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted
One of my daughters was born in Taiwan and the other in Korea, to me (Canadian) and my Filipina wife. In both cases, I just took their local birth certificates already in English to the Canadian embassy, and just filled out the forms, simple as that. They had their one year temporary passports in 3 weeks, and their citizenship cards (which I applied for with the passports, as required) within the year. I did all that at the respective embassy, and they mailed it all back from Canada. My daughters are in the Philippines now, but are still not Filipino citizens. Their one year balikbayan stamp will come to an end in late November, so I'll have to decide if I'll apply for residence, citizenship, or just take them and the wife on a short vacation out of the country at that time, giving them another year on reentry with the wife.
Under Section 1, Article IV of the 1987 Philippine Constitution, the following are citizens of the Philippines, thus: [1] Those who are citizens of the Philippines at the time of the adoption of this Constitution; [2] Those whose fathers or mothers are citizens of the Philippines; [3] Those born before January 17, 1973, of Filipino mothers, who elect Philippine citizenship upon reaching the age of majority; and [4] Those who are naturalized in accordance with law. Corollary is Section 2 of the same which defines natural-born Filipino citizens as “those who are citizens of the Philippines from birth without having to perform any act to acquire or perfect their Philippine citizenship. Those who elect Philippine citizenship in accordance with paragraph (3), Section 1 hereof shall be deemed natural-born citizens.”At the time of both of your childs birth , Was the mother Still a Philippine Citizen? was the birth recorded at the RP embassy or here in the RP?when born in Taiwan,Korea. where they considered "citizens of that country" , I ask as, i am not sure if they "automatically" became citizens there too? in some countries ,you do obtain "Automatic" citizenship(*BIRTHER*).if they did, this could at some time in the Future be an "advantage" to them (or disadavantage) depending on the circumstances...since your already stated you have their "Canada"passports,.try to obtain the "RP" passport if it is ALLOWED under the Current rules. why? another advantage both to you and them (now and later as an Adult) ,then you would no longer NEED to obtain the "STAMP" possible advantages, In country tuition, ownership of land, in 50-60yrs they would be able to "re-acquire" the RP citizenship should they wish to retire here,(providing the laws had not changed) and other possible Legal advantages*. (minority preference hiring etc )again, i am not a lawyer but this is what I have learned trying to understand the complexities of citizenship, :)(personal note) to those who have children and they have NOT yet obtain the home country/or fathers citizenship. DO IT.do it now. .. who knows what could or can happen to us tomorrow or next week...this can be the best gift & act of love we can do for them...would you want to be left living here when you could be living elsewhere. all because "father/mother" didnt obtain or complete paperwork....do you think your wife/partner can obtain the necessary paper work to do this or complete the task?when Filing late you put the "childs" future at HIGH risk,. ..(sorry for going off topic ) for those who worked at Clark, Subic, Wallace i think they know what i am talking about :th_thbestpost:

secret
Posted
Posted

Hello again. I'm so sorry for not mentioning the exact details as I didn't know that it's gonna be necessary. My dear husband is from Turkey and we are living in dubai. We spoke to the turkish embassy in the philippines and they said that they are not issuing passports in Philippines because the turkish community is not that many in the country. We don't mind taking him here on Philippine passport then apply the Turkish passport/citizenship from here. What I don't understand is, on the DFA website, it states some scenario on how would my son travel and the documents required. Basically, our case is not mentioned on that site. We want our son to obtain a passport and once the passport is ready, we'll come home and take him out of the country with us. So, that DSWD thing that they require are only for minors travelling with someone aside from the parents. So, should I ask my mom (who is taking care of my son now) get a DSWD travel clearance eventhough she's not travelling with us? confusions, confusions..

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted (edited)

You dont need a DSWD clearance for the parent to take out his/her child. Your mother in the RP should be able to obtain his passport,,,,, HOWEVER you should see what the rule is regarding this, what i have read that "only " a parent can obtain/file a childs passport. since your working there, just paperwork stating that your OFW will suffice again review the DFA website. to issue a RP passport will take a few weeks, NOT a few minutes or hours as it did a few years ago, appointment is REQUIRED NOW. does the RP have an embassy located there? they usually are a GOOD source of information,,, well usually they are...good luck.:yes:

Edited by ed villas