Dual Citizenship

Lordblacknail
Posted
Posted

My filipina wife is a US citizen and is wondering about getting dual citizenship. What are the pros and cons?

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
My filipina wife is a US citizen and is wondering about getting dual citizenship. What are the pros and cons?
In my view and situation there are no real great advantages except her being able to get you a permanent visa or own real property, both of which might be important to you both if you intend to live in the Philippines permanently. Also your wife being able to own a firearm if that is something that interests you both. Below is a list and I did not see any negatives except for possibly losing the ability to have the US fight for her rights if she should get herself in a jam. I hope others will expand on this because there might be things I never considered.The Advantages1. One who re-acquires Filipino citizenship can vote in elections in the Philippines. 2. One can own real property 3. One can practice his/her profession 4. One can own and operate a business 5. The citizen's spouse can get an immigrant visa that entitles him/her to permanently reside in the Philippines - come and go, avoid exit clearances, entry fees, etc.

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted (edited)

Also HERE is the opinion of an immigration attorney which might help but for the reverse, yet still some thoughts, such as they could probably never deport your wife from the Philippines.

Edited by Kuya Lee
add