Woman Kills Self Over Slashed Pay

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
http://www.philstar.com/Article.aspx?Artic...bCategoryId=107Woman kills self over slashed pay Updated January 18, 2009 12:00 AM Cebu - A teenager committed suicide last Thursday morning in her rented house in San Fernando town after she could no longer give money to her mother after her salary as a gas pump attendant was reduced.The fatality was identified as Denesa Pisa, 19, of sitio Luknay, barangay South Poblacion, San Fernando.SPO1 Vigilio Ca

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

This is very sad and IMHO, it is directly related to all the pressure that seems to be put on the children in the Philippines to support their parents......... :36_1_68[1]: And some men wonder why a woman would try to hook a foreigner? Yes, we end up supporting the woman and quite possibly helping out some of her family, and what is really wrong with that, considering the love, devotion and affection we end up with from our lovely Filipina partner.This is not the first suicide directly related to the economic downturn, and I am sure it will not be the last. :mad:

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
This is very sad and IMHO, it is directly related to all the pressure that seems to be put on the children in the Philippines to support their parents......... :36_1_68[1]: And some men wonder why a woman would try to hook a foreigner? Yes, we end up supporting the woman and quite possibly helping out some of her family, and what is really wrong with that, considering the love, devotion and affection we end up with from our lovely Filipina partner.This is not the first suicide directly related to the economic downturn, and I am sure it will not be the last. :mad:
From my understanding of the story it says she found out her pay would slashed if she made mistakes in handling the earnings of the service station.It does not say her normal weekly pay would be reduced from what she was earning unless the takings did not balance.Perhaps she was helping her family more than we know with someone else's money? :th_exactly:

Mike S
Posted
Posted

I don't know about here but that is a common practice in the western world for people that handle money and come up short ...... it should be noted however that any extra is not given to the employee for any overage ......

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

I would bet that there is a lot more to it, and I would bet that the boss had already started to deduct missing money from her salary.Have you ever tried to give a coin to round out your change to a cashier in the Philippines or even in the US for that matter, most have no idea what to do with it if the cash register has already tallied the amount. Someone really should teach kids nowadays how to give proper change, with the count back method.No matter what happened, she is just one suicide of many that have happened and that will continue, which can be directly or indirectly related to the downturn in the economy. IMHO

tom_shor
Posted
Posted

I know if they come up short or if they accept a counterfit bill it is taken from their salary. Better just to quit. How much will she make for her family now?

johnrxx99
Posted
Posted (edited)

Deducting unders from salary here is universal. That's why they count your money 3 times and your change 3 times - or is it just me.Perhaps she was not too careful or indeed had borrowed. If the latter she would know it was just evening things out so hardly a reason to top yourself. I suspect she had other issues, most likely family pressure.Very sad.

Edited by johnrxx99

Sampaguita
Posted
Posted
This is very sad and IMHO, it is directly related to all the pressure that seems to be put on the children in the Philippines to support their parents......... :SugarwareZ-037: And some men wonder why a woman would try to hook a foreigner? Yes, we end up supporting the woman and quite possibly helping out some of her family, and what is really wrong with that, considering the love, devotion and affection we end up with from our lovely Filipina partner.This is not the first suicide directly related to the economic downturn, and I am sure it will not be the last. :mad:
a lot has to do with face.