Australian Terrence Binney, 60,

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

My brother in law died the same way and so did his eldest son at the same exact time, so those horns are nothing to mess with, but there was extenuating circumstances of a truck accident with our family when they were killed. SugarwareZ-034.gif Those Water buffalo are not to be messed with and a nursing mother buffalo almost got me one night while I was walking around in the dark in the provinces, all I can say is it was a good thing for me that her and her baby were tied up.A WATER buffalo has gored an Australian pensioner to death in the Philippines after the man slammed into the beast while driving home from a nightclub on his motorbike, police say. The force of the blow to the man's stomach detached the horn from the huge animal's head, police said.Terrence Binney, a 60-year-old retired soldier, accidentally rammed into the pregnant animal at night as he rode along a village road in the farming town of Victoria, near Manila, said police officer Ronald Sumilang.The buffalo retaliated by impaling Binney with one of its horns, the officer said. ''You know how it is with carabaos, they attack and gore people if provoked,'' Sumilang told AFP by telephone.Water buffaloes, or carabaos, as they are locally known, can weigh between 400 and 900kg.Sumilang said the beast, owned by a local farmer, had got free from its tether in the driving rain.A local hospital pronounced Binney dead after the incident on June 19.Binney's Filipina wife has yet to decide whether to press charges against the farmer, the officer said.The farmer could be liable for negligence resulting in manslaughter, which is punishable by up to six years in jail, Sumilang added.''The owner gave a statement yesterday and asked for forgiveness. He said his family is very poor and nobody wanted this thing to happen,'' the policeman said.The buffalo remains in the farmer's custody.The Australian embassy could not be reached for comment.The actual story HERE

Art2ro
Posted
Posted

th_thholysheep.gifI thought water buffaloes were mild mannered animals! I thought wrong! Lucky for us there are no water buffaloes in the suburbs! I'm also careful about driving on the roads in any province, because there are bull cows besides water buffaloes crossing the roads especially at night and people too in pitch darkness, especially drunks laid out on the roads! SugarwareZ-034.gif

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
th_thholysheep.gifI thought water buffaloes were mild mannered animals! I thought wrong! Lucky for us there are no water buffaloes in the suburbs! I'm also careful about driving on the roads in any province, because there are bull cows besides water buffaloes crossing the roads especially at night and people too in pitch darkness, especially drunks laid out on the roads! SugarwareZ-034.gif
Me too Art, I had no idea a Carabaos could be so dangerous. :emostrongbow: Thanks for posting that story Lee.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
Me too Art, I had no idea a Carabaos could be so dangerous. :th_thholysheep: Thanks for posting that story Lee.
Not sure If I was a female Carabao carrying a calf that I would be too happy if a motorbike hit me either, perhaps it thought it was defending its self.As for the farmer, I hope they dont press charges.

tom_shor
Posted
Posted

Anotehr addition to the list of things not to be messed with. Large domestic animals are not like house pets a lot of people don't seem to realize this. Very tragic that this guy died. If the reports are accurate it wasn't really anyones fault. Very sad.

ekimswish
Posted
Posted (edited)

I'm looking for the story now, but I read somewhere that he may have been intoxicated, and somewhere else that he was coming home from the nightclub. Not blaming him, but just saying you gotta be careful. Even though the Carabao was untethered, if he were intoxicated, I wonder if the wife could still legally charge the farmer? Does she now recieve pension from her husband, or would she have a financial reason to put some heat on the farmer? Here it is: http://au.ibtimes.com/articles/170597/20110628/drink-drive-motorcycle-buffalo-carabao-philippines.htm

Edited by ekimswish