Flat Screen Tv's, Big Brother, Paranoia

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

I just got an email yesterday from a friend who happens to be married to a Filipina, and who is not a member of this forum. In this email he said that a friend he knows who is very knowledgeable about electronics told him that he should never buy a flat screen TV because they have microphones and cameras in them, so that people who own them can be monitored. :o Now while I told him that some computer monitors might have built in microphones and cameras, I told him that I think his friend is wrong. Opinions? Anyone else hear something along those lines and can post a reliable source? Well I have found as time goes on and more and more things get discovered that had been done behind our backs, more people are becoming more and more paranoid that other things have to also be happening behind our backs, or in this case right in front of us. So maybe it might not be a good idea to have sex in front of your big screen TV unless of course you are an exhibitionist. :lol: crack-up.gifnudie.gif

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
I just got an email yesterday from a friend who happens to be married to a Filipina, and who is not a member of this forum. In this email he said that a friend he knows who is very knowledgeable about electronics told him that he should never buy a flat screen TV because they have microphones and cameras in them, so that people who own them can be monitored. :o Now while I told him that some computer monitors might have built in microphones and cameras, I told him that I think his friend is wrong. Opinions? Anyone else hear something along those lines and can post a reliable source? Well I have found as time goes on and more and more things get discovered that had been done behind our backs, more people are becoming more and more paranoid that other things have to also be happening behind our backs, or in this case right in front of us. So maybe it might not be a good idea to have sex in front of your big screen TV unless of course you are an exhibitionist. :lol: crack-up.gifnudie.gif
So who is monitoring them and how does the transmitting take place from the TV to the Lost city of Atlantis or some other place.Far fetched if you ask me,imagine how much data that would have to be transmitted from all the flat screen TVs in the world.Anyway, must fly, a space ship just landed next door.kidding.gif

Jake
Posted
Posted

I've been around the block regarding electronics repair with over 35 years experience in both military and consumer electronics. I have open and inspected many TV and computer monitors of all types (CRT, LCD, plasma, DLP displays) and so far, found nothing unusual (no extra circuits for a micro camera and audio transmitter). Of course there is always that possibility that any perverted technician could modified the circuitry and software to remotely activate the built in camera and microphone normally found on laptops. There has been cases where the customer (mostly females) have learned too late that they fell victim to this electronic voyeurism. Regarding home security alarm systems, either install it yourself or have a reputable company technician install it, withstrict supervision.My suggestion is to run anti virus software and disable any programs that could remotely take control of your computer. Most have this feature in order for the 800 service to troubleshoot your computer remotely. Additionally, if you have a separate video camera mounted on top of your monitor, turn it away from you when not in use or make sure the dust cap is covering the lens. Any othersuggestions are welcome in this thread.....Respectfully -- Jake

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted (edited)

(excuse if i am going off topic) He does have some concern,and justified on BIG BROTHER can do,,, WHAT i have read .Is the new models of PHOTO COPY machines can store all the images that you have made,,, 2. the new cars in the US, have a "BLACK BOX" that can give info on what you have been doing ( before the incident)

Edited by ed villas

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
(excuse if i am going off topic) He does have some concern,and justified on BIG BROTHER can do,,, WHAT i have read .Is the new models of PHOTO COPY machines can store all the images that you have made,,, 2. the new cars in the US, have a "BLACK BOX" that can give info on what you have been doing ( before the incident)
What you write is true and the cable companies can monitor what people watch by the computers which runs their system, yet I would doubt that anyone would be able to activate any circuit in your tv to watch you in your home, except possibly the cable company. I hold an amateur (Ham) advanced operator license and have worked on and built a few repeaters and quite a few electronics during my lifetime, and I have found that speakers can be made into microphones and dormant repeaters receivers can still be monitored remotely by phone or a different frequency, so I would say it is possible, not probable for someone to listen to your home via a tv hooked to a cable company, since the newer cable systems are two way and require a signal being sent from your cable box to the cable companies computer for it to work, but there are way too many customers for anyone to pick just one person to listen to, or take the time to modify the equipment to do it. Also having had a friend who was the communications tech for a large police department, he showed me how a police radio that was totally shut off could still be turned on remotely and listened to without the officer knowing it was on, so some things can be done and are built into systems, but being built into tv's is a little much for me to think possible because of the added cost, let alone the extra work needed to keep it all so secret. Yet their seems to be many paranoid people out there who think it is happening right now. I guess some of those people might wear aluminum foil hats too. :lol: