Couple, Son Nabbed In Cebu For Canadian’S Slay

FlyAway
Posted
Posted

From the article, looks like the police are not so incompetent as recent events make them out to be. There is no mention of outside influences on this case. Could it be just a case of good police work?Now if they can just get a good conviction and sentence.....http://newsinfo.inqu...%E2%80%99s-slayCEBU CITY, Philippines— A couple and their son were arrested Friday for allegedly killing a Canadian national, whose body was found buried in the suspects’ pig pen in a mountain village here. Rolando Valmoria Aburot, a 46-year-old charcoal maker, admitted to killing 53-year-old Darcy Hanz Reutenberg, a resident of Mandaue City, last June 26.. He, however, cleared his wife Marilyn and 17-year-old son, saying he was alone when he shot the foreigner following an argument inside the victim’s rest house in Barangay Adlaon, Cebu City. But the police arrested the couple and their son because Marilyn and the teenager knew that Rolando had killed the Canadian. Rolando told the INQUIRER on Friday that he and Reutenberg were drinking inside the foreigner’s rest house, which was about 300 meters away from their house. The two, however, got into an argument over the alleged refusal of Reutenberg to pay for his services in constructing the rest house. Rolando claimed that Reutenberg pulled out a gun and threatened to shoot him. He said he grappled for possession of the gun and eventually shot the victim in the head. Rolando said he hid Reutenberg’s body in a grassy area near their family’s piggery. He then buried the body the next day. But homicide investigators belittled the claim of the suspect as they believed that robbery could be the motive of the incident because Rolando took the victim’s laptop and P50,000. Rolando then gave the laptop to Marilyn, who then sold the unit to a dealer of used electronic products in downtown Cebu City for P8,000. The laptop was later recovered by the police. Marilyn told the INQUIRER she knew nothing about the killing until several days later when Aburot told her and their son about the crime. Police said they started looking for the Canadian after he was reported missing by his landlady, Evelyn Rebuscit. Rebuscit reported to the Basak police station in Mandaue City that Reutenberg had not come home since he left on a motorcycle on the morning of June 25. SPO1 Jeodito Llena, a member of the police’s Cebu City Public Safety Management, said they conducted a surveillance on the house of Aburot after they received reports that the couple had just bought a carabao and seven piglets. The neighbors of the couple were also surprised that Aburot had a lot of money to bet in cockfights. The police also became more suspicious after Aburot was nowhere to be seen at his residence and when neighbors informed them that they found blood in the rest house of Reutenberg. When the police investigators saw that the couple’s pigpen was recently cemented, they decided to dig underneath it. It was then they discovered the decomposing body of Reutenberg. Autopsy report later showed that the victim was shot at close range based on the gun powder burns on the wounds. With the help of barangay councilor Maria Elena Arejola, the police convinced Rolando, through his wife, to surrender to the police at a gasoline station in Barangay Talamban. PO3 Ruth Bongo said that they were still looking for witnesses to strengthen the case to be filed against the couple and their son.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

Could it be just a case of good police work?
The way I read it, their entire investigation consisted of listening to gossip from the neighbors. In this case it appears the gossips were correct.

sjp52
Posted
Posted (edited)

Some times I wonder about the Philippines. The last time I was there for 2 months there was a foreigner robbed and shot and killed and a women stabbed 6 times both events happened with in 300 meters of me. I did not witness either one but they happened. This is in a nice subdivision. I have seen 2 family members ( not mine ) both women argue and fight and one grab a rock and smash the other in the head causing a big gash. Most of the time people in the Philippines are very easy going, But when they get mad look out.

Edited by sjp52

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

The common element in many violent crimes in the Philippines, or anywhere in the world, is alcohol or drugs. Stay away from those who drink heavily and anyone you know who is doing drugs, and one should be fairly safe. Crime is everywhere, yet when I read most of these stories, many have the same things in common.

Rolando told the INQUIRER on Friday that he and Reutenberg were drinking inside the foreigner’s rest house, which was about 300 meters away from their house.

Travis
Posted
Posted

however they caught them I am happy they were caught since the news there was always chock full of foreigners getting themselves killed or dying of supposedly natural causes

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
wt-hell.gif Get a load of this, they knew this fellow that they killed for 15 years and called him uncle, and then on top of that, Reutenberg was known for his efforts in helping poor families and now the guy who killed him says he is sorry. So once again it would appear that possibly excessive drinking was the culprit. :unsure:Aburot said Reutenberg was a good man except when he got drunk, and that they grappled for possession of the foreigner’s gun during a drinking session last June 26 in the farm.Retuenberg was described as a Christian missionary who visited Cebu once or twice a year and stayed at an apartment in Mandaue City.Farmer says ‘sorry’ for shooting Canadian ‘uncle’

ekimswish
Posted
Posted

Imagine if there were no gun. What was a missionary doing with a gun anyways? First, it's illegal. Second, HE'S A MISSIONARY!!! What ever happened to that being "slain in the spirit" stuff, rather than by a 9mil? I can understand a random foreigner with a lot of money wanting a gun, but not a missionary. Getting drunk as well? I understand Christians having a few drinks, but getting drunk and carrying a firearm seems a bit odd. I wonder if he included playing with guns while getting hammered in his weekly sermons? Should've left that gun at home if he was going to be drinking.

FlyAway
Posted
Posted

Still does not excuse the fact of burying the body in concrete. I do not think your average Canadian is used to having a hand gun anyway. Maybe Rolando had the gun and demanded payment. Of course when most anyone is drunk, common sense goes out the door and he may have struggled with the guy?Many possible scenario's.

ekimswish
Posted
Posted
Still does not excuse the fact of burying the body in concrete. I do not think your average Canadian is used to having a hand gun anyway. Maybe Rolando had the gun and demanded payment. Of course when most anyone is drunk, common sense goes out the door and he may have struggled with the guy?Many possible scenario's.
Exactly. Seeing as how the Canadian couldn't have had the gun legally, we don't even know if it was actually his. It could've been the worker's gun, and there may have been no struggle or argument. The whole thing could've been premeditated, cold-blooded, murder. I mean, the guy was spending the money all over the place, apparently. Doesn't look like someone who came across the money accidentally and tried to cover it up in hopes of not being caught.