Filipino Funeral

sjp52
Posted
Posted

Its a sad time for me and my family. My mother in-law is in the hospital and they have stopped all medicine as it is not working. So it is just a matter of time before she will pass. She has TB and pneumonia so severe that there is nothing they can do. They are a poor family and can not afford much. I have been paying for all the medical care and will also pay for the funeral. I was wondering if any one knows what an average cost of a funeral is. I just want to be prepared for when it happens.

Jake
Posted
Posted
Its a sad time for me and my family. My mother in-law is in the hospital and they have stopped all medicine as it is not working. So it is just a matter of time before she will pass. She has TB and pneumonia so severe that there is nothing they can do. They are a poor family and can not afford much. I have been paying for all the medical care and will also pay for the funeral. I was wondering if any one knows what an average cost of a funeral is. I just want to be prepared for when it happens.
Hello SJP52,You should be commended for taking care of your extended family. This link was started by Kuya Lee with Art and Okieboy providing some expenses regarding funerals: http://www.philippin...indpost&p=36147.We wish you the very best, respectfully -- Jake

sjp52
Posted
Posted
Hello SJP52,You should be commended for taking care of your extended family. This link was started by Kuya Lee with Art and Okieboy providing some expenses regarding funerals: http://www.philippin...indpost&p=36147.We wish you the very best, respectfully -- Jake
Thank you so much Jake

Bundy
Posted
Posted
I feel for you at this time, we went through the same thing last year with my Father-in-law. Be prepared as a Filipino funeral is definitely not like what we are used to in the west. My extended family are also not wealthy by any means and it was us who paid for everything.Your wife will be the one to control everything and you should know that she DOES need to take control as expenses can get out of hand very easily especially where there is a foreigner involved.To give you some kind of ballpark figure, we spent around P100,000 but that did not include the plot as that was already in the family. Aside from the plot, the casket and the constant supply of food for nine days were the biggest expense. There were other costs involved in our case such as fees to have the body released from the hospital, death certificate and final hospital bills.It certainly was an experience for me i can tell you.People will come from everywhere to the house, some staying a few hours, others will stay overnight, some you know, some you've never seen before, some your family have never seen before! And of course there will be some who require fare home again. The supply of food and drink continues right up to and including IN the cemetery. At one stage i was convinced that there are "professional" funeral goers there....... people who go for the food and drink and then wait for the next funeral to attend.If you have specific questions, i'll be glad to answer as i can.

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
My heart goes out to you and your family its difficult to see a loved one in that situation. I am also very close to my in-laws they are wonderful people and I love them very much.

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
Sorry to hear that, and our hearts, thoughts and prayers go out to you and your wife and her family. I repaired the link on the page where we discussed this that Jake provided, and on it one place St. Peters Chapels are listed, so possibly they can give you an idea of costs. Also when someone dies in my wife's village in Mindanao, costs are mostly limited to food because everyone chips in and helps to make a casket and carry the casket to the free burial grounds which I believe is provided by the church for the poor with permission. Many poor people cannot afford burial out in the provinces, so that is how it works there, but all places will of course be different, so my advice would be to ask your wife how it has been done in the past for others who do not have foreign husbands in the family, and then you might find a less expensive way for it to be done, if that is what you decide to do. For me, as I wrote one the other page, I want to be cremated because IMO once we are gone, the body was just a vessel and no longer needed, but that is me and most Filipinos and the religious will probably feel different, and I respect them for their own thoughts and wishes. So the point I am making is that I find for myself that it would be a waste of money to spend a lot when a little will do the job, and to me the living are the most important to spend our money on, to try to keep them that way as long as possible when there is hope.

sjp52
Posted
Posted

Thank you so much for your answers and thoughts . I really appreciate it.

roy2cebu
Posted
Posted

With such a high cost, how does the normal poor folk, without foreign relatives, afford to pay a funeral?