Feeling Alone ?

lou
Posted
Posted

I have been to the PI 4 times and decided to come and live in Cebu. I have been here since early June, about 6 weeks now. I live in a nice apartment in Banilad with my gf and all is well. She went out yesterday to visit her mom for the day and it was all good. I was sitting in the apartment watching tv and I realized that I am basically alone here. No family, no friends, and I don't know anyone in Cebu except for my gf. And that's ok. I thought about it for a while and I realized that what I miss the most is being able to talk to someone in English and have them understand what I am saying, someone who understands the jokes and the ironies and occasional sarcasms. It took 6 weeks but I am finally there hahaha. Does anyone else feel the same way? Having said all that, where are some of the expat hangouts in Cebu where I can meet people like myself ? I could sure use some english conversation some days.

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
I have been to the PI 4 times and decided to come and live in Cebu. I have been here since early June, about 6 weeks now. I live in a nice apartment in Banilad with my gf and all is well. She went out yesterday to visit her mom for the day and it was all good. I was sitting in the apartment watching tv and I realized that I am basically alone here. No family, no friends, and I don't know anyone in Cebu except for my gf. And that's ok. I thought about it for a while and I realized that what I miss the most is being able to talk to someone in English and have them understand what I am saying, someone who understands the jokes and the ironies and occasional sarcasms. It took 6 weeks but I am finally there hahaha. Does anyone else feel the same way? Having said all that, where are some of the expat hangouts in Cebu where I can meet people like myself ? I could sure use some english conversation some days.
It may not be easy but once you find some Filipino friends ones you have things in common with it will totally transform living there. I don’t live there but we visit often if it were not for Filipino friends I don’t think I would visit as often or as long it makes a huge difference to my experience there.Perhaps you can start a sport like badminton-shuttlecock it is popular there and it would be sure way to meet people. Maybe you could start attending zumba or some other daily workout activity. You could hirer a local musician to teach you guitar or some other interment or learn to paint or whatever.

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
Hi Lou, yes when I first got to the Philippines 17 years ago I too felt like I needed others to talk to, but nowadays with computers and Magic Jack for a voice over internet phone or other VOIP system, it is easy for some of us to keep in touch with friends and family if one wants to. Having said that, that is why I have found that it is good to get to know other members on this forum, so you can get a feel for who they are and if any of them might be your type of person. I have found when meeting people on the fly, it is hit and miss because we are all so different and have different reasons for being there, so many will not be my cup of tea and I not theirs. So when you say meeting people like yourself, first you would have to categorize what you feel you are and what group you might feel the most comfortable hanging with. There are smokers and non smokers like myself and my wife, then there are drinkers or only occasional drinkers, and then there are married couples and couples in general, and then there are players and everything in between, but if all you want is general conversation, then you will find groups that hang out at Ayala Terraces by walking around the terraces, in Our Place Bar down near Colon, El Gecko off Gen Max also known as Mango, and the Sand Trap off A S Fortuna near Gustavians, and of course walking around Ayala and SM. Maybe others will chime in with more places because right now that is all I can think of. When my wife and I get back to Cebu then we always like meeting up with others and we usually set up a get together for this forums members for the same basic reasons, so members can get to know each other and hopefully find others they might like to hang out with. Those get togethers are usually held in March which will be a long way off from now, so my advice would be to hang out on the forum and find people you think you might like and then send some back and forth pm's and see how you get along, and then meet up with those you seem to click with, that is how my wife and I have gotten to know quite a few great people over the years. :yes:

Travis
Posted
Posted
I felt like that too for a while so having the magic jack was a blessing for me because bein single I met very few expats who were not there for the wrong reasons. I also do not smoke so bars were not for me so I spent a lot of time walking around the terraces in Ayala mall but to tell you the truth met few people I wished to be around. The guys with girlfriends were probably afraid I would steal their ladies & the most of the married people do not like a third wheel around so meeting people came from this forum & I did get to meet a few very nice members who helped me. hope you find some good people but look out for the sexpats that will try to steal your girl. those guys always seem to want to hit on every girl there so they can try to score with more of them. I had 1 try to steal the girl I was with by slipping her his card with his cell number on it when I was talking to another guy. good thing I never saw him again or I would have killed him

Inspector
Posted
Posted

You have four options IMHO1- Live in the province (if your wife is from there) and be VERY alone, despite 500 family members, because trust me on this...they don't speak English out in the sticks and you will soon go nuts trying to get shampoo in little packets that you can't open2- Live in the city and hang out/drink with expats/sexpats...if you are like me and find 75% of them people you would not hang out with where you came from, then again, this is an alone option as well.3- Live in a upscale guarded community of filipino's, that DO speak English...respect their culture, and befriend them, and find a few married expats that do not simply get drunk all day and night, but exercise and live sort of, well a life a bit western and do things that don't always involve drinking.4- Buy a few mannequins, prop them up around the house when the wife is not home, and tell them they are rude for not replying to your questions, until you physically assault one, but pull a hamstring doing a leg sweep, thus in fact, getting your ass kicked by a motionless guy with no headI'm at 3....

Panserhansen
Posted
Posted
In addition to the places Mr Lee mentioned, try Drifters at Gaisano Country Mall, newly opened Emerald Isle in Talamban, Joker's Arms in AS Fortuna, across from Nasa. Those places you're likely to meet expats. Bring a book so you don't look completely lost and you'll soon pop into someone. Another tip is to join a gym like Holiday Spa(they also have a nice pool). I believe a group of brits still gather at Drifters Wednesdays around 2PM or so for some beer and bowling.