Another Violent Drunk Filipino

Travis
Posted
Posted

I am reading so much of this so as the news gets better more will probably be reported & I wonder how many go unreported? & before anyone gets mad at my post I do not think all Filipinos act that wayhttp://www.philstar.com/Article.aspx?articleId=707360&publicationSubCategoryId=107 CEBU, Philippines - The Regional Trial Court sentenced a man to at least eight years imprisonment for killing his neighbor almost eight years ago.RTC Judge Generosa Labra also ordered David Luchavez to pay P50,000 to the heirs of the victim, Reynaldo Quijano, as civil indemnity. Labra found Luchavez guilty of homicide.The victim’s son, Raniel, testified in court that afternoon on October 12, 2003, he fetched his father who was drinking with their neighbors at that time. When they were already at their house, the respondent reportedly came, slapped the wall, and told Quijano that he did not want to be reprimanded.Quijano’s wife told Luchavez to go home, but the respondent just stood still and stared at the victim. This reportedly prompted Quijano to hit the suspect on the buttocks with a stick to shoo him away.About 30 minutes later, Luchavez went back to Quijano’s house and stabbed Luchavez with a knife.Prosecution witness Edwin Castillo said he saw Luchavez and Quijano quarrel and later saw Luchavez stab Quijano. In his testimony, Luchavez denied having stabbed Quijano and said it was the victim who allegedly attacked him. He said he was simply passing by Quijano’s house and greeted the latter a good evening to which Quijano reportedly replied there was nothing good with the night because his pitcher was empty. Upon saying this, Quijano allegedly slapped him with the pitcher but he was lucky enough to elude.Luchavez also alleged that Quijano even got a piece of wood and hit him on the face. When he reportedly saw Quijano getting a knife, he threw a wood to the victim and reportedly tried to grab the knife but failed. Luchavez said he even fell into a creek when he was stepping backwards to avoid the knife.But Labra found more Castillo’s testimony as an eyewitness.“The testimony of said witness deserves credence as no evidence was adduced to show that he had ill motive to falsely testify against the accused,” Labra said. — (FREEMAN)

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted

could it be the Filipinos like the American Indians can not hold their liquor? is this a reason/cause for the violence ?or is there a UNDER LAYING reason? it seems that this happens often, as shown in the post on this forum http://philippines-expats.com/index.php?showtopic=9560&pid=45603&st=0entry45603

ekimswish
Posted
Posted (edited)

I understand the speculation as to whether Australian Aborigines or Native Americans can handle their liquor or not, though it's not actually been proven beyond a doubt scientifically (just speculated), but not with Filipinos. Filipinos are fine at drinking. I've drank with and seen plenty of Native Canadians getting drunk, and it's not the same thing as with Filipinos. When I drink with Filipinos, everyone has a good time. If there is violence (I've yet to witness it firsthand), it's not often. With Indians back home in Regina, Saskatchewan, it's a regular occurrence. If you drink with the same group of Indians week in and week out, you will see them get in fights and brawls and trouble with the police week in and week out, without skipping a beat. That may have to do with not being able to handle liquor, or it may have to do with a hundred years of racism and abuse. My money's on the latter, though we did introduce them to "fire water." Maybe their genes are still evolving for the drink. Filipinos have had liquor for a long, long time, however. Even where we live, they used to, and still do, just drink tuba (palm wine). From what I've seen, drinking with Filipinos in the Philippines and in Canada, and drinking with Indians in Canada, if there is a weak gene for drinking and Indians have it, then Filipinos definitely do NOT. I think I see more white people get in trouble when they drink in Canada than I see Filipinos (partly because Filipinos will fight to the death, where white people will leave it at a good ass whooping, hence, higher stakes, better leave it alone unless you're really willing throw your life away).

Edited by ekimswish

Jake
Posted
Posted (edited)
I understand the speculation as to whether Australian Aborigines or Native Americans can handle their liquor or not, though it's not actually been proven beyond a doubt scientifically (just speculated), but not with Filipinos. Filipinos are fine at drinking. I've drank with and seen plenty of Native Canadians getting drunk, and it's not the same thing as with Filipinos. When I drink with Filipinos, everyone has a good time. If there is violence (I've yet to witness it firsthand), it's not often. With Indians back home in Regina, Saskatchewan, it's a regular occurrence. If you drink with the same group of Indians week in and week out, you will see them get in fights and brawls and trouble with the police week in and week out, without skipping a beat. That may have to do with not being able to handle liquor, or it may have to do with a hundred years of racism and abuse. My money's on the latter, though we did introduce them to "fire water." Maybe their genes are still evolving for the drink. Filipinos have had liquor for a long, long time, however. Even where we live, they used to, and still do, just drink tuba (palm wine). From what I've seen, drinking with Filipinos in the Philippines and in Canada, and drinking with Indians in Canada, if there is a weak gene for drinking and Indians have it, then Filipinos definitely do NOT. I think I see more white people get in trouble when they drink in Canada than I see Filipinos (partly because Filipinos will fight to the death, where white people will leave it at a good ass whooping, hence, higher stakes, better leave it alone unless you're really willing throw your life away).
As usual, Ekimswish has provided a good insight of the typical local drinking session among the Filipinos. In all of my experience, the locals can drink all night long while I excuse myself to puke my guts out after only a six pack of San Magoo (I'm a light weight). But when it comes to hard liquor like Tanduay Gin, things could get out of hand sometimes. I'm still trying to research this Filipino macho thing -- whether it came from the Spaniards or tribal mentality between island warlords a long time ago.A case in point is the drinking among friends and relatives and someone gets killed simply because the song "My Way" fueled heatedarguments within the group. One time, I was looking for the CR at a local beer house and was challenged by a drunk because hethought I was staring at him. I immediately pacified him by offering his whole table another round of beer and quickly left the place.Maintain a low profile and be willing to "lose face", rather than your life.Respectfully -- Jake Edited by Jake
Korrect my spilling agin

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

If anyone reads there countries news,everyday there are murder trials and cases where alcohol is involved.Everyday there is something on the news about a violent crime and its not in the Philippines but when they report their cases some people think its an epidemic related to one country only.89.gif

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

I have an idea, all booze should include a tranquilizer happy pill. :D Then all we would get is happy drunks and the smaller portion that cannot handle their liquor or beer will also become happy drunks. :unsure: