Favorite Hobby Questions

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

Hello all: I will be retiring in Metro Manila, Paranaque City.Question 1. I am an avid raquetball player here in the states. I have searched all over, asked questions in forums etc. The closest sport i can find is Squash. The nearest place to play is the Nomad sports club. Has anyone heard of raquetball being played in the Philippines?Question 2. I have always dreamed of owning a small sailboat, nothing lavish or grand, and just sailing around Manila bay waving to the folks on seafront or at MOA, lol. I can afford the price of a boat and upkeep. But the only place i have found to keep a boat is the Manila Yaught Club. Checked it out on my last visit. Membership fees are insane lol. I was thinking maybe Cavite had a yaught club. Input please?I have read previous strings about things to do, hobbies, activities and the like and really dont think i have any worries about keeping busy. But every man has a dream lol.ADMIN. Please move post to proper catagorie if I put this in the wrong one.

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
Hello all: I will be retiring in Metro Manila, Paranaque City.Question 1. I am an avid raquetball player here in the states. I have searched all over, asked questions in forums etc. The closest sport i can find is Squash. The nearest place to play is the Nomad sports club. Has anyone heard of raquetball being played in the Philippines?Question 2. I have always dreamed of owning a small sailboat, nothing lavish or grand, and just sailing around Manila bay waving to the folks on seafront or at MOA, lol. I can afford the price of a boat and upkeep. But the only place i have found to keep a boat is the Manila Yaught Club. Checked it out on my last visit. Membership fees are insane lol. I was thinking maybe Cavite had a yaught club. Input please?I have read previous strings about things to do, hobbies, activities and the like and really dont think i have any worries about keeping busy. But every man has a dream lol.ADMIN. Please move post to proper catagorie if I put this in the wrong one.
Shuttlecock or as we Americans call it badminton is very big in Philippines. I know its not racquetball but its likely you can easily find places to play and make some friends at the same time.I know very little about the Manila area so can’t help you securing boat moorage, maybe it would be cheaper and easier to rent a boat.

Jake
Posted
Posted

Hey Scott,I got nowhere Googling racquetball courts/clubs in the Philippines. Old55 was kind enough to search out plenty of badminton and tennis courts throughout the islands. Someday, we need to trade some "kill shots" before you head over to PI. I sent youa PM regarding my current location and email. Do you play tennis as well?The link below is one of my favorite places to sail -- the yacht club is at the northern edge of Taal Lake with Tagaytay overlookingthe whole area. I'm into Hobie 16's and windsurfing, especially during inclement weather. Maybe an hour's drive south from Paranaque: http://www.sailphi.org.ph/tlyc/. Seriously, I would stay away from Manila Bay unless you're totally updated with your inoculations. Remember, Pasig River dumps into the bay with all kinds of bio-hazards.Respectfully -- Jake

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

Well, it looks like squash, badmitten, tennis and Taal lake. Hope i can sail around the Talapia farms, lolthanks guys

Jake
Posted
Posted
Well, it looks like squash, badmitten, tennis and Taal lake. Hope i can sail around the Talapia farms, lolthanks guys
Yeah, you're right about the Tilapia fish farms, but the sailing area around the Taal Lake Yacht club is large enoughto hold many sailing regattas throughout the year. Just Google Earth the area and you will be surprise how muchsailing area there is. Further south are all the beaches of Batangas and Nasugbu, which are prime sport locations for diving and sailing. Also check out Puerto Galera, Mindoro (an hour banca boat ride south of Batangas) -- they havean international yacht club with rentals or chartering a sloop. The link below is a fairly accurate wind conditions for the Philippines: http://www.windguru....ex.php?sc=42502Sheet in that mainsail and let's bury the rails -- Jake

Art2ro
Posted
Posted

Jake,OK! Let's do it! I'll take my sun block, Dramamine pills and barf bag with me! Sailing that is! AddEmoticons04230.gif

Jake
Posted
Posted
Jake,OK! Let's do it! I'll take my sun block, Dramamine pills and barf bag with me! Sailing that is! AddEmoticons04230.gif
Are you sure Pare?? I only go out when the winds are strong enough to flip a Hobie catamaran. Get right back up and do it again and again. It's half swimming and half sailing anyway, especially when I get a couple shots of Tequila in mefor anti-freeze. Just google "flying a Hobie Cat" and imagine yourself hanging out on that trapeze wire. Just make sureyou're downwind from me when you start barfin'......he, he.Jake

Art2ro
Posted
Posted

I went deep sea fishing once in Monterrey Bay with 3 to 5 ft swells! I was hanging over the side rails all morning, but in the end caught 50 lbs of fish, mostly cod, perch, mackerel and smelt and had it all filleted and took it home that lasted us for a week of fish lunches or dinners and cooked it every which way! Long ago when the strippers were still running in Northern California, I was out there rain or shine catching these 50 to 70 lb strippers over 30 inches in length and once in awhile a 100 lb sturgeon! Those were the good old days! Nowadays, my stomach would probably be too weak to handle the ocean swells and smell of stinking fish!

omnivorism
Posted
Posted

I would like to know if anyone has a clue on what it would cost for Kali instruction?At a school?How about private instruction?

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
I would like to know if anyone has a clue on what it would cost for Kali instruction?At a school?How about private instruction?
Google “Perry Gamsby” Filipino Stick Fighting you should find some good info but somewhat dated as Perry returned to Australia about five or six years ago. He was well learned in Stick Fighting and started a school in Australia. There is/was a school in the Cebu City area from what Perry said.