Go-Go, Slow-Go And No-Go

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

I am new to this forum and, after a long absence from the Philippines, in need for updated information. The following subject has been repeatedly discussed with my wife and friends who are facing the same predicament. Go-Go -- Our present location is Honolulu, Hawaii. We have sufficient financial resources for independent living. By being careful, there should be enough money for a modest apartment and recreational activities, including once or twice a year off-island travel. We plan to assist others through volunteer work during our golden years.Slow-Go -- Hopefully it will never happen, but at some point we may need assistance. There are companies who can provide trained caregivers to purchase groceries, cook, clean, drive, help in bathing and dressing. The problem is costs at the current rate of $25.00 per hour or $200.00 per day. One option now under consideration is to rent a property somewhere in the Philippines if we are no longer independent. Lower labor costs means we can afford a nurse or nurse aide. No-Go -- The biggest fear is being institutionalized for either physical or mental reasons like dementia. The average cost in Hawaii for a nursing home is $131,400 per year for a private room, compared to $79,900 in the US mainland. We can't afford it. Medicare A will pay hospitalization, but won't cover nursing homes. Hawaii Medicaid now requires a five years waiting period after declaring bankruptcy before they will pay for it. Nursing homes are refusing Medicaid recipients because state reimbursement is too low. In the meantime, the US Congress wants to change Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid. Change is a code word for lower benefits and higher taxes. The only positive news is Medicare A may become portable, meaning the federal government will reimburse prequalified Philippine hospitals up to 80%. My interest is discussing the above with those who are already in the Philippines. I will be in Manila from Sept. 10th to Sept. 19th. If there is a social gathering by forum members during this time period, please let me know. Another option is I can invite members for free pizza at some restaurant, provided everyone pays for their own beer.Aloha - JJR

gapotwo
Posted
Posted

Go go, but go slow. im doing it. very true about Hawaii health care.i hear that the PH. is working on getting medical tourism. i hope it works and helps the local people with disabilitys and generates tourism at the same time. but unfortunatly it will never happen. just imagine a few things. will the blind man be able to cross the street safely alone? will traffic stop for him? will the public honor the handicapped bathroom stalls? who would keep them clean? would the disabled parking stalls be available to the PWD.? i doubt it. we need to see more go and not so much show.I am a victim of paraplegia, due to SCI. even here in the mainland and hawaii, i do not wait for services. adapt and overcome,i say. getting back to topic, we are pretty much on our own in the PH. so do it enjoy life , but dont expect any help from any government. or agency.the philippines has a very long way to go on this subject. just this PINOYS 2 centavos worth. tanks EJ.:541:

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
I am new to this forum and, after a long absence from the Philippines, in need for updated information. The following subject has been repeatedly discussed with my wife and friends who are facing the same predicament. Go-Go -- Our present location is Honolulu, Hawaii. We have sufficient financial resources for independent living. By being careful, there should be enough money for a modest apartment and recreational activities, including once or twice a year off-island travel. We plan to assist others through volunteer work during our golden years.Slow-Go -- Hopefully it will never happen, but at some point we may need assistance. There are companies who can provide trained caregivers to purchase groceries, cook, clean, drive, help in bathing and dressing. The problem is costs at the current rate of $25.00 per hour or $200.00 per day. One option now under consideration is to rent a property somewhere in the Philippines if we are no longer independent. Lower labor costs means we can afford a nurse or nurse aide. No-Go -- The biggest fear is being institutionalized for either physical or mental reasons like dementia. The average cost in Hawaii for a nursing home is $131,400 per year for a private room, compared to $79,900 in the US mainland. We can't afford it. Medicare A will pay hospitalization, but won't cover nursing homes. Hawaii Medicaid now requires a five years waiting period after declaring bankruptcy before they will pay for it. Nursing homes are refusing Medicaid recipients because state reimbursement is too low. In the meantime, the US Congress wants to change Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid. Change is a code word for lower benefits and higher taxes. The only positive news is Medicare A may become portable, meaning the federal government will reimburse prequalified Philippine hospitals up to 80%. My interest is discussing the above with those who are already in the Philippines. I will be in Manila from Sept. 10th to Sept. 19th. If there is a social gathering by forum members during this time period, please let me know. Another option is I can invite members for free pizza at some restaurant, provided everyone pays for their own beer.Aloha - JJR
My wife and I will not be in Manila during that time or we would have been happy to meet up with you and buy you a pizza and some beer, so maybe one day down the road. If I am not mistaken, you are still young enough that you probably should not be worrying that far in advance unless you have some medical issues, and then only you can plan for yourself. I would say that if you are thinking about 10 or more years down the road, then a lot can change in that time and who knows where things might lead by then, and who knows if the Philippines will become advanced enough by then to have real medical tourism. I do believe you would be able to hire full time live in nurses for care giving and for a pretty reasonable amount if living close to a city, so that would be my plans if and when the time were to come for my wife and I to move to the Philippines full time. One thing you might wish to consider is doing what my wife and I do for the present, and that is having a place there and in the US and in our case in Florida, and going back and forth to Cebu, so we have the best of both worlds and if you establish residency in a non tax state, then life would be even less expensive for you to maintain a second home such as a condo in an over 55 community for under $40,000 and that has transportation provided to shopping etc, within the monthly fees. My wife and I have looked into some at this one place called Sunrise Lakes 4 and others at a place called Century Village and while the units are old, and they do have a hefty monthly fee of about $300 to $400, the fee includes water, cable, insurance, transportation and a whole mess of activities, so a person living in places such as those and others, do not need to drive if they do not wish to. I know of people in their 80's and 90's living in some of them and basically taking care of themselves. Whatever you decide to do, hopefully others will have more suggestions for you.

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

If a new member of the forum might chime in. I am heathly (now) and will be 55 yo upon moving to Manila. But have thought long and hard about the move. In reference to the Medical piece, Since there are Tri Care approved physicians over there I am not overly concerned about medical care. Now about old age and our declining years? One of the many things i love about the philippines and the philippino culture is the importance of the family unit. I have no doubt that one of my many nieces (or their children god willing) will coordinate our care (if not move their family into our home or us into theirs). Here is an example, one day sitting in my garden I saw a young woman assisting and elderly (ancient) blind and almost crippled woman walk up and down our street, taking exercise. I asked my Asawa who they were. The old woman had been the family maid for 2 generations. The family is taking care of the woman who took care of them for years. The young girl who was helping? the Great Grand daughter of the woman who origianlly hired the maid. Say what you will, that doesnt happen in the states.

gapotwo
Posted
Posted
If a new member of the forum might chime in. I am heathly (now) and will be 55 yo upon moving to Manila. But have thought long and hard about the move. In reference to the Medical piece, Since there are Tri Care approved physicians over there I am not overly concerned about medical care. Now about old age and our declining years? One of the many things i love about the philippines and the philippino culture is the importance of the family unit. I have no doubt that one of my many nieces (or their children god willing) will coordinate our care (if not move their family into our home or us into theirs). Here is an example, one day sitting in my garden I saw a young woman assisting and elderly (ancient) blind and almost crippled woman walk up and down our street, taking exercise. I asked my Asawa who they were. The old woman had been the family maid for 2 generations. The family is taking care of the woman who took care of them for years. The young girl who was helping? the Great Grand daughter of the woman who origianlly hired the maid. Say what you will, that doesnt happen in the states.
Even more reason to move to the philippines. settle down andtreat family right,for in the end, it is only them that will care for you.no one else.im trying to go back home , but my kid sister does not want me to leave. she says we do not have any blood relatives there anymore, and wants me to stay here in long beach with her, or stay with my other sister in san francisco.thats family .they will be sad when i leave but thats life.:541: ej.

Jake
Posted
Posted
Even more reason to move to the philippines. settle down andtreat family right,for in the end, it is only them that will care for you.no one else.im trying to go back home , but my kid sister does not want me to leave. she says we do not have any blood relatives there anymore, and wants me to stay here in long beach with her, or stay with my other sister in san francisco.thats family .they will be sad when i leave but thats life.:541: ej.
Hey EJ,It's always a difficult and emotional decision to leave family members behind. And then having to face the logisticproblems of moving 8 thousands mile can be stressful to say the least. Hell, you might as well move to Mars! I hate moving my household effect even just across the street. Anyway, you should be in good hands coming back to your hometown of Olongapo, catching up with your barkada. You may be completing the circle of life and no doubt, will enjoy the fruits of your hard earned labor at last. Go get 'em tiger!To Scott -- thank you for that wonderful story about family generations helping each other. You may not act like theking, but definitely have the king of hearts.Respectfully -- Jake

Art2ro
Posted
Posted (edited)

I’m pretty sure that growing old is and will eventually be our concern down the road in how one will live the remainder of one’s life. It really all depends on one’s financial situation and location where one lives! Below I have described the worst and best case scenarios that one can be in! A). Alone, lonely, no family, no money and homeless! Living out on the streets, living under a bridge or makeshift shelter of some sort and just waiting to die!B). Alone, lonely, no family, terminally ill, disabled, incapacitated and living in a retirement home care facility, hospice care facility, convalescent home or in a hospital room just waiting to die! C). Living in one’s own home being cared for by care givers, private nurses/doctors, family and or relatives, waiting to die with dignity at one‘s old age! Just a few months ago my wife’s grandmother died of old age here in the Philippines at the age of 99. She died in her sleep at home taken cared of by family! My grandmother who lived in the U.S., had a fractured hip, was put in a state run convalescent home and died of old age in her sleep at the age of 81.My mother lived, worked and retired in the U.S.. She owned her own and was taken cared of by my brother and a home nurse care giver, but she died in the hospital with complicated medical issues and so did our father who died of terminal cancer! So, it’s really all about one’s financial situation in how one will live out the last days on one’s life! As for myself and my wife, we live in the Philippines and own our own home. For our upcoming old age, we plan to have a master bed room with full bath room downstairs, wheel chair accessible, have a live-in care giver or nurse, on-call private doctor and on-call private driver. Hospitals are just minutes away from where we live! So, our plans are in the works, but for now it’s just my wife and I enjoying our retirement because we are still both healthy, I'm now 62 and my wife 47! I'm retired civil service and military. We have TRCARE military health insurance that provides a 70% reimbursement of medical cost and we plan to get PhilHealth medical Insurance for added protection and my Senior Citizen 20% discount card for me, since my wife isn't yet old enough. It's a Go-Go all the way for us! "Life is truly grand when a plan comes together in the end"! Will yours? I hope so!

Edited by Art2ro