It’S Up To You?

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

After fourteen years occasionally my wife still says “it’s up to you” and normally it means it truly is up to me! There were times early in our marriage this caused some painful or hilarious interaction.What other Filipina idioms do you all deal with time to time?

MikeB
Posted
Posted

"wait a while" and when I point out that, while grammatically correct, it makes no sense because it's an indeterminate time reference, they agree...and keep right on using it. It's in the genes.

Art2ro
Posted
Posted (edited)

Well, since we got married going on 23 yrs now, it has always been "up to me" and to this day it still is, because I still have hold of the purse strings before and during our marriage! That's why it's still "up to me"! It works for us and my wife has never complained, because when it comes to money, I'm fair! We do make decisions also on a lot of issues what ever they are! We hardly ever argue much about anything and at our age, why should we! We're both happy and content with our retirement in the Philippines! It's just all about adjusting to whatever works in a marriage and ours has been doing fine all these years. I know of family, relatives and friends who argue constantly! No way to behave in a relationship, too stressful! If two people can't get along, why stay together and make one another miserable for life? Also, bottom line, "it's always a matter of money", life is miserable without it and money is "the pursuit of happiness" as long one knows how to manage one's finances and don't end up broke again and again!

Edited by Art2ro

intrepid
Posted
Posted

Art2ro---Well, since we got married going on 23 yrs now, it has always been "up to me" and to this day it still is, because I still have hold of the purse strings before and during our marriage! That's why it's still "up to me"!That's the "Golden Rule" Art."He who has the gold rules"! :6:danny

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

I thought the term was, its SUP to you yes.gif

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
in other word, suck up to you for those of us who have learned to grovel and beg. :SugarwareZ-034: Joke lang.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
in other word, suck up to you for those of us who have learned to grovel and beg. :SugarwareZ-034: Joke lang.
Well what I meant is a lot of Filipinos seem to say it like that rather than pronounce "up to" correctly.

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
Well what I meant is a lot of Filipinos seem to say it like that rather than pronounce "up to" correctly.
Yes I knew what you meant, I was just breaking your chops and trying to be funny. I used to hear it all the time from my wife and still hear it all the time from others while in the Philippines, but I did my best to make my wife independent knowing that she is 20 years younger than I am, so inevitably she should outlive me, so now she has a pretty strong mind of her own, so while she will often say it is up to me, I usually turn it around by saying it first. :th_signs083: It does drive me crazy when people in the Philippines say that when we ask them what they would like to eat or do while clearly have something in mind but are afraid to say it until I say, well we can just go to Mcdo, and then they say where they would like to go. :whistling: