Baguio

omnivorism
Posted
Posted

I am an American living in America, so I am not a true expat..... yet.My goal is to move there in the next year or two, and before you say why not just do it now, it has to do with my career or choice.Anyway I have spent months thinking about where (in the world) I would like to relocate to. And I think i have decided on giving the PI a try.I am specifically interested in Baguio. Although there is not as much info to be found on this, at least especially from expats.I have done a lot of research on the PI already. And I am aware there is actually a baguio webpage.But I am still interested in knowing as much as i can.My interest in this area is the cooler rainer weather, and the local produce.additionally i have read the cost of living is cheaper than there some places (and ive gone as far as to look at housing ads).Also there are apparently a lot of local Koreans there (for English school). And as I understand a fair amount of expatsanyone with first hand experience can you tell me pros and cons or your own experiences?I can tell you things i wonder about.1. Is english fluency speaking going to be average or better in this area2. is cost of living really decent in this area.3.are there many expats here?4.how much of an issue do you think it is for an athiest in the PI?5. I honestly dont even have a lot in common with most americans. Will i be able to find many creative types there?6. I am very interested in seeing the slums. Are bodyguards cheap like maids? 7. how safe is it to just wander around alone? in the city? or maybe in the less urban areas.8. I smoke a strange brand of cigarettes (Nat Shermans) that are relatively difficult to find even in a major city. Can i order them by mail if i live there? Or maybe get a local to stock them for me?9.how are kitchens in houses and apartments usually? I a culinary grad and former chef, and am very interested in cooking at home with local produce and fresh seafood.10. I honestly dont fully understand the bathrooms. do the better places have regular showers or not?and if you want to know what kind of budget I am looking at it should be $1500+ per month

lou
Posted
Posted
I am an American living in America, so I am not a true expat..... yet.My goal is to move there in the next year or two, and before you say why not just do it now, it has to do with my career or choice.Anyway I have spent months thinking about where (in the world) I would like to relocate to. And I think i have decided on giving the PI a try.I am specifically interested in Baguio. Although there is not as much info to be found on this, at least especially from expats.I have done a lot of research on the PI already. And I am aware there is actually a baguio webpage.But I am still interested in knowing as much as i can.My interest in this area is the cooler rainer weather, and the local produce.additionally i have read the cost of living is cheaper than there some places (and ive gone as far as to look at housing ads).Also there are apparently a lot of local Koreans there (for English school). And as I understand a fair amount of expatsanyone with first hand experience can you tell me pros and cons or your own experiences?I can tell you things i wonder about.1. Is english fluency speaking going to be average or better in this area2. is cost of living really decent in this area.3.are there many expats here?4.how much of an issue do you think it is for an athiest in the PI?5. I honestly dont even have a lot in common with most americans. Will i be able to find many creative types there?6. I am very interested in seeing the slums. Are bodyguards cheap like maids? 7. how safe is it to just wander around alone? in the city? or maybe in the less urban areas.8. I smoke a strange brand of cigarettes (Nat Shermans) that are relatively difficult to find even in a major city. Can i order them by mail if i live there? Or maybe get a local to stock them for me?9.how are kitchens in houses and apartments usually? I a culinary grad and former chef, and am very interested in cooking at home with local produce and fresh seafood.10. I honestly dont fully understand the bathrooms. do the better places have regular showers or not?and if you want to know what kind of budget I am looking at it should be $1500+ per month
I am going to Baguio with my gf tomorrow. We will take a bus from Manila which takes about 8 hours because there are no directs flights because of weather conditions in Baguio. I will try and answer some of your questions wheen I get back.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
HelloIf you do a search here on the forum with the word "Baguio" you will find pages of information related to the place.You can search by clicking on the magnifie glass symbol at the top right of the forum.post-1-0-93376100-1311583696_thumb.gifHere's one link about safety, http://philippines-expats.com/index.php?showtopic=4576&view=findpost&p=21098

omnivorism
Posted
Posted

Thanks, I actually wanted to search but didn't see how. I overlooked that icon. I actually moderate on another (non expat or travel related) forum, and this one is quite different.I already saw the majority of those results mostly just by digging randomly though.If anyone can give me more info on their specific impressions, or answer my specific questions I would appreciate it.Also, I was in a bit of a hurry and on my way out the door when I wrote the initial post, so it's a bit sloppy.

HelloIf you do a search here on the forum with the word "Baguio" you will find pages of information related to the place.You can search by clicking on the magnifie glass symbol at the top right of the forum. post-1-0-93376100-1311583696_thumb.gif Here's one link about safety, http://www.philippin...indpost&p=21098