Laptop Wireless Internet In Metro Manila And Cebu City

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

I need your help please. What do I need for wireless internet in Manila and Cebu City? I am looking at a new Dell Laptop. I am clueless when it comes to ethernet cards and that stuff. :any-help: Buy load in RP? Buy Ethernet unit in Hong Kong or US?

TheMason
Posted
Posted (edited)
I need your help please. What do I need for wireless internet in Manila and Cebu City? I am looking at a new Dell Laptop. I am clueless when it comes to ethernet cards and that stuff. :any-help: Buy load in RP? Buy Ethernet unit in Hong Kong or US?
Almost all laptops come with wireless capability built in these days. Read the specs and look for something about a wireless ethernet card or something similar. If you aren't sure, call a sales rep before purchasing. If you do happen to get a laptop without wireless, you can buy a USB wireless card for about $30-$50. It's better if it's built in though, that way nothing hanging off the side of your laptop when you use it.If you want wireless connectivity at home, you also need a wireless router. The router hooks up to the modem provided by your ISP. Most routers have a range of 30 meters or so, but sometimes have problems penetrating block walls. Routers run about $80-$100. I have a D-Link one now but have used Linksys in the past. They're all pretty much the same though as long as you go with a name brand and don't buy generic or gray market. When you buy one, make sure you are getting a router, not a wireless access point. They aren't the same thing. Also verify the router has both wired and wireless capability. It's handy to have the option. Most routers allow you to connect up to 4 devices to them.If you want to connect away from home, you'll need to find a wireless hotspot. Many businesses such as Starbuck's, McDonald's etc. offer free wireless connectivity in their shops. I don't live in Cebu, but in Manila I was always able to find a Starbuck's with free wireless access.There are also wireless Internet services available from both Smart and Globe. These offer Internet via the 3G mobile phone network. I know you can get a signal just about anywhere in Metro Manila, but I have never been to Cebu so don't know about there. These kits cost about 3-5k php for the modem and then you buy load cards just like for a cell phone. You need to have a SIM card with the carrier in order to reload the Internet account. I think the cost is 10 pesos per 30 minute block of time. The setup kit you buy is a USB wireless modem. You don't need a wireless card built in to the laptop to use these systems. Both systems work well, it's really just a matter of how you think you will use the wireless connectivity. For me personally, wireless access is overrated. I seldom use it at home or when I'm out. I find it simpler to use an Internet cafe. Edited by TheMason

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

Just to add to the very complete answer TheMason gave, I have found a lot of open (not locked) routers all over the Philippines and even in the US, (it is supposed to be illegal to use open routers in the US) so if you have a laptop or cell phone with wireless, you just have to search for an open router and connect. In most malls there are usually quite a few open routers and as TheMason said, most coffee shops have free access. I found a good one at the Nokia store in Ayala Cebu, and I used my phone there a number of times to check my voice mail in the states for free before I got DSL in our condo.Just a word of caution, when using any open router in a coffee shop or otherwise, be careful when accessing bank accounts and other sensitive sites, someone who is also on that open router can install a keystroke program into your computer and record everything you do. It is always good to use sites that allow you to store your log on in your computer or they have a key pad that comes up on your screen and you have to click the numbers with your mouse to put in your password. I personally only use a wire system when banking or doing credit cards and I never use an Inernet cafe for those either.

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Thank you both for the helpful information! SugarwareZ-003.gif That is great stuff; I now understand how wireless works and how to safely use it. I see Smart Bro offers a broadband prepaid kit that would fill my needs nicely. I found some maps of hot spots in Philippines. http://max.limpag.com/2007/02/02/mapping-cebus-wi-fi-hotspots/ http://www.trustive.com/hotspots/Philippines/