Australia Expands Travel Advisory To Mindanao

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

Once again Mindanao is in the news listing it as a dangerous place to go. “We advise you to reconsider your need to travel to eastern Mindanao (including the provinces of Bukidnon, Camiguin, Misamis Oriental, Compostela Valley, Davao del Norte, Davao del Sur, Agusan del Norte, Agusan del Sur, Surigao del Norte and Surigao del Sur) due to the very high levels of violent crime,” the advisory said.“We strongly advise you not to travel to central and western Mindanao (including the provinces of Zamboanga del Norte, Zamboanga del Sur, Zamboanga Sibugay, Lanao del Sur, Lanao del Norte, Cotabato City, North Cotabato, South Cotabato, Sarangani, Misamis Occidental, Sultan Kudarat, Maguindanao and the Sulu archipelago and surrounding waters) due to the very high threat of terrorist attack, kidnapping, and violent crime,” it said.The advisory said armed clashes between the Armed Forces of the Philippines and the Moro Islamic Liberation Front or other armed groups could occur “anywhere, anytime in central and western Mindanao.”The complete story HERE

Inspector
Posted
Posted

Well, if it's my time to go...it's my time. I certainly don't feel unsafe in Davao, or I am being hunted for a kidnapping...but I also never dress up...actually, feel it to be the safest, by far, place I have ever lived in the Philippines. Another thing, I sort of enjoy not seeing so many foreigners here, so keep these warnings coming....I came here to get away from white people in Cebu who seem to be more into using woman (girls) ...so mingling with educated filipinos is my new hobby, and how I now like it. Slowly, I am turning into a pinoy, and soon you will not notice the difference. :whistling:

Jim Sibbick
Posted
Posted

The warning is poorly described.Camiguin being a 'province" is therefore not part of Mindanao.Regards; Jim

• 5 weeks later...
Patsada
Posted
Posted

well, it's correct that Camiguin is a province on its own, but it belongs - administratively speaking - to Mindanao, which unfortunately often leads to misinterpretation of "safety/security advises".The Australian travel advise, however, is a sign of ignorance 1%20(103).gif and a clear offense against one of the safest and friendliest places in all of the Philippines! Cheers,Patsada

tbplayer
Posted
Posted

So it's been a couple years, how are things in Iligan City, safety wise?

tbplayer
Posted
Posted

So no one has knowledge of Iligan city I see

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
So no one has knowledge of Iligan city I see
I guess you could read the first post I made above in July of this year and sort of decide for yourself. I have no direct info on Iligan City itself at this time, yet as time goes on, there seems to be more and more trouble in many parts of Mindanao, yet my wife and I go there anyway. The choice is really each of ours to make on our own, yet Iligan is becoming more and more Muslim occupied as time passes, from what the locals who travel there tell me. Now is that a bad thing, I guess it will depend on ones religion and how they feel about it.

Bruce
Posted
Posted
Well, if it's my time to go...it's my time. I certainly don't feel unsafe in Davao, or I am being hunted for a kidnapping...but I also never dress up...actually, feel it to be the safest, by far, place I have ever lived in the Philippines. Another thing, I sort of enjoy not seeing so many foreigners here, so keep these warnings coming....I came here to get away from white people in Cebu who seem to be more into using woman (girls) ...so mingling with educated filipinos is my new hobby, and how I now like it. Slowly, I am turning into a pinoy, and soon you will not notice the difference. :no:
I have been watching you..... as soon as I see you walking the streets with a bucket, yelling B A L U T E..... I will know you have crossed over.......