Customs Sets Tighter Rules For Balikbayan Boxes

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

I am sure this will end up just one more milking cow for customs. I am guessing that much more than standard items will end up with duty charges on them, and now some small businesses will have to go out of business because they no doubt received goods that way. Will you still chance it shipping other than household goods? I know I will not because I am a chicken and would not wish to end up blacklisted. MANILA, Philippines - The Bureau of Customs (BOC) will tighten the rules covering the country’s Balikbayan Box Program after discovering that smugglers are now using this route to bring in goods to the Philippines and escape the duties slapped by the BOC.“We will now subject the balikbayan boxes to X-ray,” Customs Commissioner Angelito Alvarez said yesterday in a press conference at the Department of Justice (DOJ).The complete story HERE

sjp52
Posted
Posted

I wonder how this will effect shipping now. Before I sent a lcd tv still in the original box and it went through no problems, I assumed they let it go because it was going to a fellow Filipino and thats what the BB shipping is all about. But after they caught those smugglers I,m sure that will screw it up for every one else.

softail
Posted
Posted

That can’t help but add to the delays, I wonder how long it will take to get a box to it’s destination now?Doug

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

Well guys, if anyone ships a box, then please be sure to check back in and let us know how it goes. My wife and I should be shipping some towards the end of the year or the very beginning, so I will let you all know what happens with them, but ours would just be full of clothing and some food items, so I am not sure they would get opened or delayed as much as those they will decide to open.

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

With 40,000 balikbayan boxes arriving every year, it would be difficult to hand inspect and x-ray all of them. The press announcement is merely "feel good" public relations after authorities discovered firearms. It sounds like Philippine customs received a tip about the shipment. The end result is an increase in the negotiated gratuity per containerload. Expect shipping charges to increase $5 or $10 per box before Chrismas.

MikeB
Posted
Posted
With 40,000 balikbayan boxes arriving every year, it would be difficult to hand inspect and x-ray all of them. The press announcement is merely "feel good" public relations after authorities discovered firearms. It sounds like Philippine customs received a tip about the shipment. The end result is an increase in the negotiated gratuity per containerload. Expect shipping charges to increase $5 or $10 per box before Chrismas.
agree.gif

FlyAway
Posted
Posted

Well, when stories like this turn up, what would you expect? But if you analyze the article, notice it was 15 balikbayan boxes. Personally I would not ship that many at one time. To me that is just looking to attract attention. I will be shipping out 3 soon via LBC. Two to Manila and one to Mindanao. Will let everyone know if there are any issues.http://newsinfo.inqu...s-smuggled-gunsCustoms seizes smuggled gunsA gun store owner and his alleged cohort are facing life in prison for allegedly trying to smuggle into the country several disassembled high-powered firearms and assorted live bullets from the US, according to the Bureau of Customs (BOC). Customs Commissioner Angelito Alvarez said on Thursday the contraband goods were placed inside 15 balikbayan boxes and misdeclared as household items and personal effects. “The gun parts and ammunition were stuffed between diapers and other personal items,” Alvarez told reporters in a briefing at the Department of Justice. “The items were ready to be assembled as machine pistols and high-powered firearms.” Alvarez said the boxes were consigned to one Mark Louie Mendoza, a resident of 52 Luna Street, La Loma, Quezon City. He said the items were sent by a certain Marilou Mendoza from California and that the BOC was still trying to find out how the two suspects were related. “We are filing various technical smuggling offenses ranging from misdeclaration and misclassification to unauthorized importation of weapons,” Alvarez said. If found guilty, the Customs chief said, the suspects might spend the rest of their lives in jail. According to Alvarez, the BOC was in close coordination with the Philippine National Police (PNP) to locate and arrest Mendoza, reported to own the Last Resort Armaments, a gun store at the Makati Cinema Square in Makati City. He said a check made with the PNP Firearms and Explosives Division showed that Mendoza did not secure an import permit for guns and gun parts. He said the BOC would also be stricter in examining the contents of balikbayan boxes.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
Will you still chance it shipping other than household goods? I know I will not because I am a chicken and would not wish to end up blacklisted.
Hey Mr ChickenThey are interested in illegal shipments of things like firearms,if you ship something which might attract a tax then that is just the risk you take and I'm sure all that would happen is you pay some import tax. Anything illegal being shipped such as guns or drugs is no different than breaking your own country's laws so of course you don't do it unless you are a crim.

Inspector
Posted
Posted

I just received 9 items, including a big bottle of grey goose...no problems. But I'm sort of a wild and crazy guy and what you would call, a risk taker. One time I even drove 9 mph OVER the speed limit. I drove them to LA before I came back...including a heavyweight office chair, new...450 pound weight limit so it will not break, as well as a leg press in pieces. I am positive many of those smaller boxed pieces looked strange if they went through an x-ray machine and would warrant a closer look, yet, nothing was opened. I still believe it's who these companies know, and paying off. But that's just my opinion, and I could be wrong, as nothing is actual facts.