The Poor Die When Sick

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

Seems a shame in this day and age that government hospitals will still not take care of those who need help.Beggar dies after being refused hospital treatment MANILA, Philippines - A mendicant was found dead on a sidewalk in Sta. Cruz, Manila yesterday morning after a government-run hospital reportedly refused to treat him.The still unidentified man, described as between 35 and 40 years old, at least 5’4” tall and with a tattoo of “JMR” on his right knee, was discovered by passersby not breathing as he lay on the pavement in front of the Odeon Mall along C.M. Recto street.People in the area said they observed the man loitering for the past several days.Barangay tanods told police they brought the man to the Mother and Child Hospital in Tondo two days ago after noticing that he was sick. Doctors diagnosed the man to be suffering from tuberculosis.However, the tanods said the hospital staff refused to have the man admitted for confinement, saying he has no relatives to take care of him. The barangay tanods then brought him back to his usual resting place

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted

at least the Barangay tanods showed some compassion,respect to this man, maybe the reason the hospital didnt treat him was he "refused" any treatment or was "hostile" , who knows. i think we know the "media" here only reports part of the story not the "WHOLE" truth.

brock
Posted
Posted

Hospital in Cebu City turned away a mother and new born baby because they had no money, They both died the next day through loss of blood....I think its disgusting.

Jim Sibbick
Posted
Posted

Well I thought hospital care in a public hospital was free. However, you have to pay for your own medicines and doctor visits. That is how it is at the public hospital in Palompon Leyte. Regards: Jim

sjp52
Posted
Posted (edited)

There are so many Filipinos who die unnecessary because they cant afford and the ones who can will owe for years to come as they will have borrowed with an outrages interest rate. I just finished paying for a funeral and it was 100,000 pesos. Half of that was trying to keep her alive. How many Filipinos can afford that. The problem is most of the poor can not afford to go to the Doctor for regular check ups or the dentist. These are luxury items to them. I feel for these people, They have a government that is too busy lining its pockets with money to care about what happens to its people

Edited by sjp52

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted (edited)
Hospital in Cebu City turned away a mother and new born baby because they had no money, They both died the next day through loss of blood....I think its disgusting.
yes it is. (disgusting)with out 'offending' the forum,wouldn't this be a good reason to have/support a "RH"/family planning bill. to reduce the needless deaths. or for the families we support (family tax) we should encourage them to consider "measures" to limit famliy growth Edited by ed villas

MikeB
Posted
Posted
baby turned away in Cebu? yes it is. (disgusting)with out 'offending' the forum,wouldn't this be a good reason to have/support a "RH"/family planning bill. to reduce the needless deaths. or for the families we support (family tax) we should encourage them to consider "measures" to limit famliy growth
Yes, it is but he article is about a beggar who died after being taken to Mother and Son Hospital in Manila. Is there a source for the story of the mother and baby in Cebu?

brock
Posted
Posted

Hi MikeThe mother and baby were neighbours of mine,She also went to the church for help, I didnt find out about it until it was too late, I also had a neighbour who had a baby boy who was born without a a**h*le, ( for want of a better word )I used to pay on average 2000p every 2 months for his care, I asked about him having an operation and was told he could have one when he reached the aqe of 2 1/2 years if he was strong enough, The cost was going to be round about 20,000p if I remember correctly, which I was going to pay, He sadly died a few weeks before the operation was due.

MikeB
Posted
Posted
Hi MikeThe mother and baby were neighbours of mine,She also went to the church for help, I didnt find out about it until it was too late, I also had a neighbour who had a baby boy who was born without a a**h*le, ( for want of a better word )I used to pay on average 2000p every 2 months for his care, I asked about him having an operation and was told he could have one when he reached the aqe of 2 1/2 years if he was strong enough, The cost was going to be round about 20,000p if I remember correctly, which I was going to pay, He sadly died a few weeks before the operation was due.
Thanks, Brock. That is sad. Poor kid never had a chance. You have a good heart for trying to save him.