Throwing Knives

omnivorism
Posted
Posted

Okay so this question might be a bit out there for some of you. Really it's about legality more than anything, but within the topic of safety as well. So apparently it is illegal for foreigners to own guns in the Philippines. But the status of knives seems, at worst more of a gray area. Where I think its safe to assume in most cases knives are not illegal if used in a reasonable lawful manor. But then there is a difference between being in the street, and in your home. I came to find out, that other than the common Eskrima fighting system (which can include stick fighting, knives, and hand to hand) there is another less known fighting system called Kuntao Dumpag. Knife throwing is part of this system. And a few throwing knives could be quite lethal. There is even a video on youtube of a guy practicing with screwdrivers. Me personally, if a burglar broke down my door with a bolo in his had, i wouldnt have a problem with putting a couple knives in him. I am curious what people think about this. It is protecting ones residence, and ones self from violence, and it is not a firearm. Obviously its the kind of thing that would require practice, but it seems kinda fun to practice.

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
Okay so this question might be a bit out there for some of you. Really it's about legality more than anything, but within the topic of safety as well. So apparently it is illegal for foreigners to own guns in the Philippines. But the status of knives seems, at worst more of a gray area. Where I think its safe to assume in most cases knives are not illegal if used in a reasonable lawful manor. But then there is a difference between being in the street, and in your home. I came to find out, that other than the common Eskrima fighting system (which can include stick fighting, knives, and hand to hand) there is another less known fighting system called Kuntao Dumpag. Knife throwing is part of this system. And a few throwing knives could be quite lethal. There is even a video on youtube of a guy practicing with screwdrivers. Me personally, if a burglar broke down my door with a bolo in his had, i wouldnt have a problem with putting a couple knives in him. I am curious what people think about this. It is protecting ones residence, and ones self from violence, and it is not a firearm. Obviously its the kind of thing that would require practice, but it seems kinda fun to practice.
Here is the law on knives, so you can make of it what you can, but IMHO they would be considered illegal if you could not prove a reason why you carry them beyond self defense.
except where such articles are being used as necessary tools or implements to earn a livelihood or in pursuit of a lawful activity.
I carry a folding knife with me for opening things and especially for cutting up fruits while out and about, so IMO I carry it for a legal purpose, yet if I were to use it for self defense, then I am pretty sure I would end up arrested, but that is the chance we all must decide on our own if it is worth taking. So I would say get a bat for the house, or live in a condo like we do, so there is no need to worry about anyone breaking down our door because they have to pass many security guards before getting up to our floor. One more problem with carrying a knife is that most malls now are installing metal detectors before you can enter, so while they rarely fully search a foreigner, one time and one time only I had one guard tell me that I had to leave the knife with them, I refused and turned around to walk away, and he said just sign the book and describe the knife and then I could go in with it. Above where I wrote were many people who had signed and were carrying legal guns. :oLet me add, that one time I tried to buy Eskrima sticks for a friend from a instructor at his school, and he informed me that they are illegal to carry in the street.

omnivorism
Posted
Posted

I would like to make something clear about the context of my post. I never actually implied carrying them on my person. And if they are a normal part of the culture and martial art, and i was a practitioner of this art, that would be reason for me to have them in my home. Furthermore even a quality kitchen knife could be used for such a thing. I am referring to ones home and a break in, much more than a carry on the street weapon.

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
I would like to make something clear about the context of my post. I never actually implied carrying them on my person. And if they are a normal part of the culture and martial art, and i was a practitioner of this art, that would be reason for me to have them in my home. Furthermore even a quality kitchen knife could be used for such a thing. I am referring to ones home and a break in, much more than a carry on the street weapon.
I am sorry if my post made you think I thought otherwise, I was just pointing out the strict laws of the Philippines should you decide to take them outside your home. The Philippines is a great place and I have seen locals walking around the provinces with bolo's on their side, but we are often at a disadvantage when it comes to weapons, and most Filipino rob teams work in numbers, so it is often best to just give them what they want, unless they try to come into our homes, then all bets are off. When you first get there, IMO try to live in a safer type environment, then once you know your way around, move wherever you feel comfortable but always make sure someone is at home all the time or your personal items have a way of growing legs.

omnivorism
Posted
Posted

someone wouldn't be home, as that I would live alone. Then again, it might not be that hard to have people from the states wanting to come stay with me. But I would likely look into getting a quality safe. (the kind that you cant just walk away with). As far as possessions, I wouldn't have a lot of extravagant stuff. I'd prob make sure to back up my pcs though just incase someone snatched it. I wondered about the sticks.The stick fighting is the least interesting (and seems least practical) of all of them, but I am very interested in the other stuff. I am sure most criminals carry knives because they are easier to conceal, and have a more legal status, and are cheaper than guns as well.