Searching For Expat Psychologist Or Psychiatrist

MarcManila
Posted
Posted

Hello all, Total newb to this forum but hoping folks can help me out. I'm searching for a psychologist or psychiatrist in the Metro Manila area to help me deal with 6+ years of frustration from living here in Manila. Obviously I'm not handling these frustrations very well if I'm looking for help, heh. I'd likely feel more comfortable talking to an expat who's practicing over here but who knows, maybe there are local psychologists who specialize in this sort of thing? I can't be the first expat having a hard time adjusting to living in a different culture. Beggars can't be choosers but I'd really prefer a psychologist to a psychiatrist. Generally I've found psychologist help you figure out ways to deal with issues while psychiatrists pull out the prescription pad first.

Inspector
Posted
Posted

Can't help you there Marc, but I'm not sure a psychologist in a different culture would help as much as one from the west....especially if the problem IS the culture. Personally, I would head back where you come from and get treated there.

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

Sorry I cannot be of direct help for you on this question, but I have usually found that the best way to find a doctor in another field, is to talk to any other doctor or dentist you are already seeing and ask them if they know anyone since they usually hang around with each other and will often know of the best in different fields of medicine. Yes most of us have problems dealing with some issues due to culture, so I hope you can find a way of dealing with the stress it is causing you.

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Marc completely understandable to have issues living in a culture other than our own I would think you could find a Filipino counselor that would be able to help you. The fact he or she is Filipino would not be so important it could even be helpful. Some Expats have the "why do they do things that way" or "this is what's wrong with Philippines" thing going on forgetting for better or worse the Philippines is the Philippines it's not ours to tinker with you maybe better off with a local person.You seem to have a good attitude toward Philippines and Filipinos its just that living away from “home” is stressing you out. I've lived in a very foreign country for nearly three years it was not always easy at least Filipinos mostly speak some English.Our Filipina wife’s go through the same thing if they move out of Philippines plus the fact they are away from family.

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted (edited)

Oh this topic is 1 that i could help you on.I too had some "issues" "difficulties",after living away from the US(conus) for the past 12years plus I found the PPA in the medical arts bldg.(10th floor,1007 suite) near Richmond hotel./shang mall/lourdes schooli was there as me &my childs dentist is located there,I inquired on US TRAINED Doctors,(or dr who have had some experience/learning in the US mental health field) they do have a few (very few) in the Metro manila area., about psychologist i am not sure if there are any listed,I dont have the phone # but here are the 1 links, i recall that they are 2 different associations www.ppa.org.ph . www.ppa.ph , www.rxpinoy.com http://ppa.ph/index.php?p=contact * *this will provide you with names of "US trained" Dr. I understand to a degree how you feel. for my 1st few years here I had ZERO contact with other"Expats",, .I learned where the "other" american clubs(not night clubs nor bars) were and made an effort to attend the "FRIENDSHIP"nights, that has been a GODSEND, better than any pill or, wild night at KTV club( including the twins) :999: YES it is hard as :) at times dealing with the many "alien"issues that elsewhere we would have no problems in dealing withdont give up or allow the "stress" get the best of you. :867: hope that this can be of assistance to you. late edit.sometimes when we "feel" or think that we are not "mentally" well. it could be a underlying condition/symptom of a Physical illness, please check with your local doctor, ASAP.,

Edited by ed villas

No name
Posted
Posted

Boy would I hate to be a shrink in the Philippines. Business can't be booming. I don't know things might be different in Makati but out in the province, wow, the stigma for seeking such would be devastating for a Filipino in their culture. I've never seen one in Cebu City though I'm sure they are there. Probably more psychiatrist than psychologist. Psychiatrist in the US pretty much suck for counseling, they are all about medication. Psychologist and social workers handle the counseling. I hope you're doing okay Marc! Good luck!

Steve & Myrlita
Posted
Posted (edited)

Unfortunately, you're right. In this culture, mental illness in any shape or form is not considered a medical condition like it is in the US but a source of shame, weakness and loss of face to them & their families. One of the ways the Philippines is far from "Paradise" God Bless...Steve

Edited by Steve & Myrlita

MarcManila
Posted
Posted

Thanks so much everyone for the replies and help! @Ed, heh, bet we have the same dentist. I'm familiar w/ the building. Actually found those sites online, hit up the contact form for PPA.ph letting them know their "Find a Psychiatrist" page wasn't working. No reply. Think I'll just go visit their office asking for a referral. And lots of folks make a good point about how it might not be that bad an idea to get a local therapist. My initial concern was that a local wouldn't be too keen to hearing me vent on the issues I have with the culture over here. But, then again, if he/she is a decent therapist he/she is probably used to listening to layers of bullsh&t in the process of getting down to the real root of the issue ;)