Love To Comment!

ekimswish
Posted
Posted

It never ceases to amaze me how much Filipinos comment on each other's Facebook statuses, pictures, and other comments. Even my Filipino Canadian friends are all about posts with 27 comments lined up afterward. I deleted 90% of my wife's Facebook friends because my newsfeed was stuffed full of Waray, Visayan, and Tagalog comments by the thousands. I think it's great that their culture allows them to communicate so vigorously and stay in touch like that. For most of my Canadian friends, the comments are very slow to come by. I remember how lonely my wife was back in Korea UNTIL she started using Friendster and then Facebook. With most of her friends scattered around the world, it provided a meeting ground to get together and laugh with each other. Is this "phenomena" a result of OFWship, or just a culture with the gift of gab?

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Closeness to family and friends defines Filipino culture. Of the Filipinas we know living in the States the majority are active hourly on Facebook via cell phone. A small number are nothing more than attention whores but most are sharing and supporting each other in a positive way. I’ve noticed many like to post pictures several times a day some of places or activities they are attending more of their children.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

My filipino friends, neighbors and inlaws are always talking. They like to know everything about everybody and many of their questions would be condsidered rude in my previous social circles. Like how much do you make, what are you paying for - - - -, where are you going, why are you only living together instead of married, why don't you have children. Interestingly enough, when I ask them similar questions they are extremely adept at avoiding the questions. They seldom give me a valuable, accurate answer.

• Like 1

Art2ro
Posted
Posted

​Fortunately for me, my wife for now is computer illiterate and she even has her own laptop she hasn't used since I bought it last year! I was the one who created her email account and Facebook and maintain them for her! She has an iPhone and just uses it to txt and call her friends not knowing her cellphone has many other applications! So, luckily she doesn't have a gift for gag on Facebook! She does however knows how to switch on my desktop and use our Magic Jack to call her folks in California whenever she wishes! So no, I don't have any problems when it comes to her being a "Chatty Kathy" to whomever she's acquainted to!

• 4 weeks later...
TwoRock
Posted
Posted

I don't think the frequent posting is specific to Filipino's... of course I can only relate to my fb friendship base. I have a 50/50 ratio of "fb friends" that are located in the PH and USA. Some of them have dozens of wall post daily... basically small talk.. what they had to eat, feeling happy, feeling sad, etc. Some will post a popular subject... or controversy… just trying to get a response. The frequency of posting seems to coincide with their gender and age. If they are under 40 years old, they will be frequent fb posters…. If they are female and under 40 years old, the frequency increases. This is the generation of social networking. Laptops have made it more portable, with the prevalent use of tablets (iPads) and smartphones… it is now mobile, they can post when they are out and about. Personally, I post in moderation… then again… I’m male, and well past my 40’s… but, I am Filipino. I agree that pinay’s seem to post several photo’s of themselves… we have all seen the self portrait from a phone cam at arm’s length… just sayin’, not complaining… especially if they’re hot :no:

TwoRock
Posted
Posted

Sorry for the small font in my previous post... Since, I'm here... To the OP, you are able to just hide all posting from certain people. I have done that to some of my "fb friends" that were over-prolific posters... It cleared some of the clutter on my newsfeed. When I was curious to see what they were up to, I would still be able to glance at their wall (at my convenience).

Jake
Posted
Posted
Sorry for the small font in my previous post... Since, I'm here... To the OP, you are able to just hide all posting from certain people. I have done that to some of my "fb friends" that were over-prolific posters... It cleared some of the clutter on my newsfeed. When I was curious to see what they were up to, I would still be able to glance at their wall (at my convenience).
Mabuhay TwoRock, Glad to see another Filipino on this forum. We look forward in yourcomments and questions. This forum is relatively small (about 1200 members) but it's thebest one in town! Welcome sir -- Jake

TwoRock
Posted
Posted
Mabuhay TwoRock, Glad to see another Filipino on this forum. We look forward in yourcomments and questions. This forum is relatively small (about 1200 members) but it's thebest one in town! Welcome sir -- Jake
Thanks for your warm welcome, Jake. I have lurked on a few "PH expat forums". I've enjoyed reading the various topics here. I will post more about myself in the intro section, so this thread can stay on track

Art2ro
Posted
Posted (edited)

:no: TwoRock! I'm the other Pinoy and the SS Buddy of Jake! My wife and I live here in the Philippines permanently, we have nothing to go back to the U.S., just a few relatives! Just waiting on Jake to jump the pond with his pitcher of Mojo! Oh, just to stay on the topic, I have relinquished FB to my wife since she now knows how to finally use her laptop and log on to her FB! I peak in now and then and eliminate some of her news feed backs to cleanup the clutter or unfriend some of the people she doesn't know! I'm not much into FB and don't have my own FB account! FB to me seems too much of an invasion of my privacy and prefer to stay private somewhat! Hope to read more of your post on this wonderful forum! Artfrom Sta. Rosa, Laguna

Edited by Art2ro

TwoRock
Posted
Posted

Thanks for the welcome, Art2ro. I've had a fb account for a good while, the first year it was dormant with zero friends. My former place of employment had a reunion, and one of my co-workers upload several pics to his fb page. I added him as a friend so I could view the pics. This eventually led to re-connecting with other former acquaintances. It seems, when you find an old friend... they have some else that you know, on their friend list. Fb has been a good tool to re-connect with relatives and friends, but fb can invade your privacy.

• Like 1