Terms Commonly Used That Have A Different Meaning

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

One major thing internet dating might be good for, is to learn what their use of certain words might be. One term which neither my wife nor I knew the meaning of was "having had a boyfriend" or any form thereof. No to many years ago a Filipina asked my wife if she ever had a boyfriend before me and she did not know that it meant had sex with a man before me. Later on asking many ladies questions, I came upon that term and found out what was said to be the common meaning of it, since many ladies said it meant having had sex, yet I do not know if that would be the common meaning of it all over the Philippines, so be aware that if a girl tells you she had a boyfriend before, that might mean she had a sexual partner before. Another common term is suitor and that just means someone who was interested in a lady but had not necessarily dated them, yet depending on whether in a city or a province, could have meant they went out on a date. Any other terms any of you have come across which might be relevant for people new to internet dating to learn, or any corrections in what I wrote above?

• Like 1

Candyman
Posted
Posted
One major thing internet dating might be good for, is to learn what their use of certain words might be. One term which neither my wife nor I knew the meaning of was "having had a boyfriend" or any form thereof. No to many years ago a Filipina asked my wife if she ever had a boyfriend before me and she did not know that it meant had sex with a man before me. Later on asking many ladies questions, I came upon that term and found out what was said to be the common meaning of it, since many ladies said it meant having had sex, yet I do not know if that would be the common meaning of it all over the Philippines, so be aware that if a girl tells you she had a boyfriend before, that might mean she had a sexual partner before. Another common term is suitor and that just means someone who was interested in a lady but had not necessarily dated them, yet depending on whether in a city or a province, could have meant they went out on a date. Any other terms any of you have come across which might be relevant for people new to internet dating to learn, or any corrections in what I wrote above?
Well, when I first met my now wife, she told me that she had one boyfriend before me. Having come from Australia, I naturally assumed it meant the same thing in the Philippines ! It DOES NOT ! On our first night together, i was both surprised, and a little taken back, to find out she was in fact a virgin ! When I quizzed her about this, and I found out that "boyfriend" in the Philippines meant just that. A friend who was a boy ! No mention of sex at all ! In fact, most of the girls, especially Provence girls, regard holding hands, and the occaisional kiss and cuddle to be the far boundaries of the relationship of "boyfriend and Girlfriend" This was during the early part of 1998. Things may have changed a bit since, but I doubt it ! If you are at all unsure, as to their definitions, ASK ! It may save a lot of unnecessary mistakes !
  • Like 1