Bi Implements A Dress Code

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

I always thought they had one, but no one ever followed it, so I guess now it will be official. Individuals wearing shorts, undershirts, slippers can’t transact business at BI

The BI chief instructed all the bureau’s division and section chiefs to strictly implement the dress code on all persons, foreigners and Filipinos alike.
BI website HERE AUGUST 9, 2011 Individuals wearing shorts, undershirt and slippers are now prohibited from entering the the main building of the Bureau of Immigration (BI) in Intramuros, Manila . In a memorandum issued last July 20 by BI Commissioner Ricardo David Jr., ordered the bureau’s civil security unit (CSU) personnel to strictly implement the dress code for all persons entering the bureau’s premises. David also directed employees manning the frontline services not to entertain any person who does not comply with the dress code while transacting business in the bureau. The BI chief instructed all the bureau’s division and section chiefs to strictly implement the dress code on all persons, foreigners and Filipinos alike. BI Administrative Division chief Felino Quirante Jr. added that the bureau, like any other government office, is mandated to implement the proper dress code as it caters not only for the foreigners but also to Filipinos, thus it is proper to dress accordingly. Quirante recalled that security guards of the bureau used to be very strict in enforcing the dress code but the policy was relaxed during the previous administration. Other BI officials and employees also welcomed David’s memorandum as they noted that the bureau had become too lax in enforcing the dress code on the transacting public in recent years. “I doubt if Filipinos abroad could enter the immigration offices in other countries if they are not properly dressed,” said Roque Santos, a retiring employee assigned at the BI records section. They observed that many foreigners have been openly violating the dress code by wearing shorts, undershirt and slippers when transacting at the bureau. “Although we welcome the entry of foreign visitors into our country, we should not allow them to undermine the integrity of our bureau by allowing them to enter our offices in sandos, slippers and shorts,” said Alien Regulation Division (IRD) chief Danilo Almeda. Lawyer Arvin Santos, BI legal chief, said he has instructed all legal and hearing officers under him not to entertain improperly dressed foreign visa applicants in their offices. ###
  • Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
They observed that many foreigners have been openly violating the dress code by wearing shorts, undershirt and slippers when transacting at the bureau.
So its back to: Welcome to the Philippines, you can stay 16 months as a tourist but you cannot conduct business with that visa, however, when you are ready to renew it be sure to dress like a businessman and not a tourist.

OldUgly&Cranky
Posted
Posted

i personally don't really have a problem with it and when i go to the bi i do always dress up but its not really like a business man i just wear a nice pair of jeans and a polo shirt and no hat and after im done there my wife and i go take a tour around itramuros or go out for a nice dinner so for myself it isnt really a problem but i do still see Dave's Point too !!! O-U-C :541:

Steve & Myrlita
Posted
Posted

Never been a problem for me because Myrlita won't even let me go outside the gate for any reason unless properly dressed. She will feel embarrassed if I was not fully dressed at all times. I think me being an American has a lot to do with it (Supposed to look rich). God Bless....Steve.

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

It did not bother me in when I first arrived because the dress code was uniformly adhered to. Then, over time, (in Cebu), the enforced it sporadically and it was frustrating to me to dress up in a hot stuffy shirt and pants only to find out that was the day they were letting in people dressed like 'beach bums'. Now I am quite comfortable dressed as a beach bum. I love it. And I know darn well that I am going to be one of the sheep that follows the leader while some black sheep shows up all comfy looking and gets let in. But if I try it they send me home to change. Just a rant but that is one reason I hate the BI and probably one of the reasons that guys find fixers to take care of that BI stuff for them.

Art2ro
Posted
Posted

​I too don't have any problems with the BI's dress code, because whenever I go out of the house, I'm usually dressed causal in jeans (no shorts), dress/tennis shoes(no sandals or flip flops) and a decent shirt(long or short sleeve, linen or knit fabric material) with a collar(tank tops - a no no).