Code Enforcement/compliance, Do They Have Such A Thing?

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

I wonder if some places in the Philippines have code enforcement/compliance officers or something along those lines? Inspector, how is Davao? Others, how is where you live? As I go though years and years of photos dating back to when I first visited my wife in Cagayan de Oro over 17 years ago, it brings me back to realize just how unsafe and unkept many of the places we have visited are. I remember electrical meters with open wires all along the streets of CDO and also now see them all over Cebu City, I remember electric wires all around the ceiling of businesses and in the one where my wife used to work and we recently visited, and they are still basically the same way, and a building right across the street burned out during our last stay in April of this year in CDO. Then there is peeling paint on houses and the first condo building next to the one we live in where even the rebar is starting to rust through the wall in places because the building paint has all worn off and cracks probably fill with water, so someday the structure might fail. I could go on an on but I am sure you all get the idea, so how would one complain about some of this, or do they wait until a child dies from sticking their fingers into an open electric panel or meter which is right out in the open on public streets, or a building falls down before taking action? What other obvious code violations have you all seen and where?

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

:dance:

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
I wonder if some places in the Philippines have code enforcement/compliance officers or something along those lines? Inspector, how is Davao? Others, how is where you live? As I go though years and years of photos dating back to when I first visited my wife in Cagayan de Oro over 17 years ago, it brings me back to realize just how unsafe and unkept many of the places we have visited are. I remember electrical meters with open wires all along the streets of CDO and also now see them all over Cebu City, I remember electric wires all around the ceiling of businesses and in the one where my wife used to work and we recently visited, and they are still basically the same way, and a building right across the street burned out during our last stay in April of this year in CDO. Then there is peeling paint on houses and the first condo building next to the one we live in where even the rebar is starting to rust through the wall in places because the building paint has all worn off and cracks probably fill with water, so someday the structure might fail. I could go on an on but I am sure you all get the idea, so how would one complain about some of this, or do they wait until a child dies from sticking their fingers into an open electric panel or meter which is right out in the open on public streets, or a building falls down before taking action? What other obvious code violations have you all seen and where?
As you keep saying to me,if ain't broke don't fix it.Seriously I'm sure many have died from electrocution and somewhere on the forum I once posted a video of a building falling down in Manila so there are dangers out there. Even on sports forums they sometimes sprain an ankle so its good that you bought up this subject about some of the dangers lurking and no;I doubt if much compliance goes on but that's life in the Phils compared to perhaps New York.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

They have enforcement officers. Every once in a while they visit the building of a foreigner to discuss violations. Shortly after that you see them on vacation 7_3_205[1].gif

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted

:lol: :o at 1st i thought this was misplaced from the "clean joke "section , yes there is some "code" enforcement but if you read/look at the papers they do something but .........(will not post the rest as not to be banned)1 problem here is "Lack of preventative maintenance "then combined with "lack of enforcement" you can start to see how problems will continue to expand,should you be building your own "unit" make sure you do the best you know how,maybe others will see how to make a "better" constructed unit and it will help/change others for the better

Jim Sibbick
Posted
Posted
Don't know about now but it used to be that if you were a certain distance from the town, there is no code so you can build what you want. Regards: Jim