Shipping Computers

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Has anyone shipped computer equipment such as a desk top PC, monitor etc by Balikbayan box or how did you do it? :bash:

MikeB
Posted
Posted
Has anyone shipped computer equipment such as a desk top PC, monitor etc by Balikbayan box or how did you do it? :bash:
I shipped a 24 in monitor and printer a few months ago. Put them in a box and tagged then "household items". I don't have a desktop pc, only laptop and tablet. Carried them with me.

FlyAway
Posted
Posted

We shipped a Mid-Tower PC with a 23 inch LCD monitor last November. The box arrived the last week of December while we were still there on vacation. I unpacked it, made sure the pc's power supply was switched to 220V and plugged int the TV/Monitor into a 220v to 110v transformer. Powered up the PC and monitor. Fired up fine. About 2 minutes later the monitor popped! Did not have a meter to check out what happened. The monitor worked fine in the US on 110V, I think it had something to do with the transformer. My best advise is get a PC and monitor that are capable of 220V. Most of the "External" power supplied monitors are like that. Many PC's have a switch on the back by the power cord to switch between 110 and 220. We just declared it in the box as house hold items.

Candyman
Posted
Posted

We sent a complete unit a couple of years ago. We just wrapped a few clothes around it as well for a bit of protection. It arrived fine and is still working.

• 5 months later...
Curley
Posted
Posted

I want to send my girl a new tablet, value around $150 I can get it shipped from China to include delivery but they do not pay customs/duty charges, my girl will have to pay that. Any idea how much this is? A set charge on the invoice value or up to the individual customs officer?

Mike S
Posted
Posted

Tom ...... I sent a bunch of computer related equipment when I moved here a few years back ..... a desktop .... monitor .... printer and bunches of other goodies ...... no problems ... the only thing broken was the glass on the scanner and that was due to stupidity on my part by the way I packed it ..... had a piece of glass cut at a local glass shop and was good to go ..... but sense then I have upgraded all my electronics except my monitor but may have to do that sometime soon as I have 2 small (1in. red streaks in the top right hand corner of the LCD) ..... no problem for now but they could get worst .....Just pack everything well ..... I used pillows and a few blankets to protect them ...... I also like to put a piece of 1/4in. plywood or paneling in the bottom of the box to keep the bottom secure ...... then I wrapped the entire (and I mean entire box) with GOOD clear packing tape ..... over lapping each piece by half ..... over kill ..... maybe but with thousands of miles to travel and months to get here I didn't want to take a chance ...... IMHOCurley ........ any electronics coming into the Phils will cost you an arm and leg ...... I recently ordered another Magic Jack from the US for $35 US ...... I was honest and declared it as a computer to telephone hook-up ...... here is what the customs charges were on that $35customs charges ............................. 671pduty handling fee ........................... 280pimport processing fee .................... 250pcustoms documentary stamp ........ 265pothers ? ..........................................33.60pTOTAL .........................................1499.60 = $35.69 ....... $ .69 more than I paid for the unitSo for a $35 dollar item I paid ..... $35.69 ........ + the cost of sending it here ....... no exaggerating ........ got the DHL bill to prove it .... gonna hang it on the wall as a reminder

Curley
Posted
Posted (edited)

That does not sound so bad.... the only variable ought to be the customs charges as the cost of stamping the paperwork etc would be the same. The tablet will cost me under 7,000 pesos and if the customs bill is say 3,000 that's still a hell of a lot cheaper than 14,400 that a shop in Zamboanga wants for a tablet.

Edited by Curley

Lordblacknail
Posted
Posted

because we shipped everything before we left the US, including some boxes that we would need right away, we brought our computers and monitors in our suitcases. We also brought our tv as checked luggage.

• 11 months later...
Call me bubba
Posted
Posted

Powered up the PC and monitor. Fired up fine. About 2 minutes later the monitor popped! Did not have a meter to check out what happened.

The monitor worked fine in the US on 110V, I think it had something to do with the transformer.

could you inform us what actually happen to the monitor? think it was "power related" or ??

FlyAway
Posted
Posted

Powered up the PC and monitor. Fired up fine. About 2 minutes later the monitor popped! Did not have a meter to check out what happened.

The monitor worked fine in the US on 110V, I think it had something to do with the transformer.

could you inform us what actually happen to the monitor? think it was "power related" or ??

We were using a 220V to 110V transformer when it blew the internal power supply within the monitor. It was actually a JVC TV/Monitor. My brother in law took it to the JVC Service center there in Manila. They put in a 220V power supply unit and it now works fine.

I cannot say for sure if it was a bad step down transformer or if the monitor power supply decided to just let go. Next time I will be leaving an inexpensive multi-meter.

• Like 2