Return To U.s. With Wife

Garpo
Posted
Posted

I arrived here in the Philippines in September of 2010 and married my Filipina wife in March of 2011. I am 56 years old and we are living off my private local government retirement from the U.S. We are now thinking about going back to the U.S. and work ( save money) until I am able to draw my social security retirement. We will then return back to the Philippines for good or at least most of the time. My question is how hard is it, and what is the best and fastest way to get a Visa for my wife to return to the U.S. with me? How long does it usually take?

Art2ro
Posted
Posted

This was just my past experience from long ago when we got married and I filed for my wife's immigrant visa petition from California, but I'm sure it still holds true today! Get a good reputable immigration agent who knows all the ins and outs of the visa process for your spouse, but first submit your petition application for your wife's immigrant visa, having all the correct & legal documents it's a must! Once the petition is submitted and approved and checklist completed, it's just a matter acquiring an appointment for her interview at the U.S. Embassy in Manila, which is a 6 to 10 month process from start to finish, but maybe longer now a days. There are others out there who have gone through the process recently and can further add to my comments in more and exact details. Good luck!

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

Garpo, I hate to be the negative nellie here. Though i encourgage you to get your wife visa taken care of, just in case. I would think long and hard before moving back to the states. The way things are, unless you have something already set up, the chances of "good jobs" are thin and on the ground here, especially for guys our age. I mean we are talking clerking at 7-11, stocking shelves at walmart etc etc. The grass might be brown there in the Phil right now, but the lawn is dead in the states right now.

• Like 4

Jake
Posted
Posted (edited)
Garpo, I hate to be the negative nellie here. Though i encourgage you to get your wife visa taken care of, just in case. I would think long and hard before moving back to the states. The way things are, unless you have something already set up, the chances of "good jobs" are thin and on the ground here, especially for guys our age. I mean we are talking clerking at 7-11, stocking shelves at walmart etc etc. The grass might be brown there in the Phil right now, but the lawn is dead in the states right now.
You got that right Scott. My background is technical (electronics tech) with many, many on-lineapplications to major tech companies (Boeing, Rathyeon, Lockheed, civil service, Military Sea LiftCommand, retail stores.....etc,etc. Even out in the war zone and one down in the south pole --no response except from FAA. That one is just filling out more paperwork with no appointmentfor an interview yet. I have one more year before I become eligible to collect my SS at age 62. I'm going to collectearly because I don't have a warm and fuzzy feeling about the future of social security or anyother government programs. The lawn is the States is not only dead but it's full of dog crap. Respectfully -- Jake Edited by Jake
Korrect my Englesh agin
  • Like 2

Garpo
Posted
Posted

I was not looking to discuss the job market or conditions in the U.S. as I am aware of the problems there and would not return unless or until I already had a job. I was hoping for more information on the Visa process to get my wife to the U.S. with me. I do thank you for the information but just do not want this to get hijacked into a discussion on the U.S. economy situation as I can read about that everyday and also still have many family and friends there them provide me with information on the situation there.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
http://an-american-in-dumaguete.blogspot.com/ Sorry to have misunderstood Garpo and hope I didn't offend, check out the above blog which discribes some of the processes. This is one of several I have read in the past, (aint google wonderfull?) Good luck to you.

Lordblacknail
Posted
Posted

My personal advice is that you don't need a agent or a lawyer. The forms are very easy to fill out, as long as you read them. You can download all the forms that you need from the government web site.The last I heard it is taking six to eight months for a wife visa, as opposed to a fiance visa. Getting a visa for your wife as compared to one for your girlfriend, takes about a month longer, but saves you thousands of dollars in fees. PM me if you have any questions. We arrived here in March and just did all that ourselves.

Art2ro
Posted
Posted (edited)
My personal advice is that you don't need a agent or a lawyer. The forms are very easy to fill out, as long as you read them. You can download all the forms that you need from the government web site.The last I heard it is taking six to eight months for a wife visa, as opposed to a fiance visa. Getting a visa for your wife as compared to one for your girlfriend, takes about a month longer, but saves you thousands of dollars in fees. PM me if you have any questions. We arrived here in March and just did all that ourselves.
My personal advice in having a reputable immigration agent, is that some spouses of expats aren't as knowledgeable as some and don't know their way around in a city such as Manila, there are a bunch of wolves in a big dirty city and anything can happen! My wife knew her way around in Manila, but I insisted that she was pampered my an agent and she found one in her home town she knew who's profession was just that! The agent assisted her to my satisfaction, because the agent provided protection, transportation, lodging and food and took her where ever she needed to go! I was working at the time in California and was able to afford the immigration agent to assist my wife, it was money well spent! If any one is processing an immigrant or K-1 fiancee visa for their spouses or spouses to be and want their spouses or fiancee to do all the leg work themselves just to save a few pesos, well have at it, she'll probably tell you or not of all the horror stories later after the fact, because she probably will not complain like a good soft spoken Filipino wife! Actually, when my wife received her checklist, I returned to the Philippines and went with her to complete her checklist! When all was said and done, she submitted her completed checklist and the U.S. embassy gave her an appointment in 3days for her interview and issuance of her visa. We flew back together to the U.S. arm in arm, cheek to cheek on the plane to start our new life together in the U.S.. In 1997 I retired early at age 49 and we returned to the Philippines and we're still here enjoying our retirement lifestyle! My wife appreciates every bit the length I went through to pamper her all these years and I still do! That's why my wife of 23 years still loves me to this day! Edited by Art2ro
  • Like 1

Garpo
Posted
Posted
http://an-american-i...e.blogspot.com/ Sorry to have misunderstood Garpo and hope I didn't offend, check out the above blog which discribes some of the processes. This is one of several I have read in the past, (aint google wonderfull?) Good luck to you.
Did not offend me at all. I just was hoping to keep the topic on the Visa process rather than getting into the process of if a good idea to go back to the US or not. Thank all of you that have posted on the topic.