2 More Indian Expat Killed

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

2 more Indian expat killed http://www.gmanews.tv/story/145780/2-more-...ndians-continueFICC has listed at least 140 Indians killed in attacks across the country in the past two years. Glad I am not an Indian, but this is no laughing matter, which group of expats might be next and why is this happening?I think all expats need to stand together in the common cause of keeping us all safe.

TheMason
Posted
Posted
2 more Indian expat killed http://www.gmanews.tv/story/145780/2-more-...ndians-continueFICC has listed at least 140 Indians killed in attacks across the country in the past two years. Glad I am not an Indian, but this is no laughing matter, which group of expats might be next and why is this happening?I think all expats need to stand together in the common cause of keeping us all safe.
I think the 2 biggest reasons for this are....As the story states, many of the victim's families believe it is India-based organized crime carrying out the killings. Non-resident Indians (NRIs) are frequently subjected to extortion by the Indian crime syndicates. I lived in India for a few years and heard similar stories of NRI extortion from several friends. Given the overall lawlessness of the Philippines, I'm not surprised to hear there are gang related killings here. I suspect it would happen far more in the US if it were not for the stronger law enforcement efforts to track down murderers.Indians tend to be entrepeneurs, especially the Sikhs. The victim in this case, Jalinder Singh, sure sounds like a Sikh. (Jalinder and Singh are both very common Sikh names) I suspect that far more Indians come to the Philippines to start businesses and compete with the locals. As has been discussed on this forum before, successfully competing against Filipinos can get you killed rather quickly.

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Indian nationals living in the Philippines are often in the money lending business.

johnrxx99
Posted
Posted

Indeed, Indians run the money lending operations I understand, usually using Filipino front men and women. A very dangerous business to be in and this news is hardly unexpected.By the way, is there any chance we could keep off reporting every foreigners death, cuts or bruises as it hardly represents a balanced view. Quite a few newcomers have ask the question "is it that bad there?" when in reality it is no worse then any other country.Furthermore, it is rather morbid. If people want to know these things they only have to do a google - the site is not called Dying in the Philippines. :23_11_60[2]:

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
Indeed, Indians run the money lending operations I understand, usually using Filipino front men and women. A very dangerous business to be in and this news is hardly unexpected.By the way, is there any chance we could keep off reporting every foreigners death, cuts or bruises as it hardly represents a balanced view. Quite a few newcomers have ask the question "is it that bad there?" when in reality it is no worse then any other country.Furthermore, it is rather morbid. If people want to know these things they only have to do a google - the site is not called Dying in the Philippines. :23_11_60[2]:
My thought on this is that the people deserve to know the whole truth and that the Philippines is not the total paradise that some forums and some people make it out to be, just so that those people can make the big bucks on the suckers, just like the Legacy group that some people did not want me to post on another forum because it might have cut in on their profits, even when IMO they should have known it was a scam and I told them it had to be a pyramid scheme. I have said before and I will say it again, if expats stay out of businesses that make large sums of money or that they have to carry and keep large sums of money around for, and they keep a low profile and are not flashy or boastful, and they do not go into competition with the local Filipinos, then the Philippines is perfectly safe. IMHO anyone who reads these stories should also be smart enough to read between the lines and see why people are getting killed and then be smart enough to make sure it does not happen to them. With that said, I would be happy to cut back posting some of these, but IMO you are not taking into account that not everyone knows where to find the news and or has the time to read the papers online everyday. Not everyone is retired like us. Therefore they can come to a forum and get informed and catch up whenever they have the time. Is that not the purpose of a forum. Anyway, I try to show the good and the bad of the Philippines and I am not about to sugar coat it like some people do, and if some foreigners (to the Philippines) cannot see the news in their own towns and compare it to the Philippine news, then IMHO they should not move to the Philippines. CNN shows way more crimes everyday all over the world than in the Philippines. BTW, I listened to the local news in Miami today, nine people wounded, two fatally, Manhunt continues after mass shooting in Liberty Cityhttp://www.miamiherald.com/460/story/871201.htmlIt is happening all over the world and any adult should know that IMO.

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted (edited)

Just to quickly add to my last post..... OT How many people could have been saved from being scammed had I been allowed to post those words and signs of warning! and how many expats might be a little wiser if we post the truth and not sugar coat it! We will never know, but a lot of sites and people are all about making money and not about telling the truth when it will hurt their bottom line, and I am not cut out to that way.The Philippines is a great place IMO and it is as safe, if not safer than any other country. IMO

Edited by Mr. Lee

tom_shor
Posted
Posted

I tripped on the uneven sidewalk and skinned my knee. Is this some sort of targeting of foreigners to keep us from wearing shorts? I never tripped on an uneven sidewalk anywhere else. I think I have a hangnail too. :D :thumbsup: Really I do see your point Mr Lee but sometimes it does make it seem to be more common when we post so many.

On-in-2
Posted
Posted
I tripped on the uneven sidewalk and skinned my knee.
Hey!! that happened to me too! I think you're right about the anti-foreigner environment.amm...I -may- have had a drink or two preceding that knee-skinning.Pete C

johnrxx99
Posted
Posted

Mr Lee, I was talking about Kano mishaps not Legacy etc.We need balance, good and bad, like it is. Too much of the bad, warnings etc can give the wrong balance. It has been said that any publicity is good publicity and that may be right in Hollywood but a foreigner who is reading about various countries and with little experience outside of their own comfort zone may think the probability of mishap is greater than having a good time.We who live here can decern the truth and ignore the stories. Those that don't do not have that facility.If you look down the list of forum topics, by far the greatest is "from the news desk" 106 in all. If you read down the titles you may get my drift.This is not a dig at you Lee, you do a sterling job but perhaps a monthly summary may be better :thumbsup: