Is Bigger Really Better?

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Been looking at computer monitors and find that bigger is not much more expensive than some of the smaller ones.Do you have a big one or would you prefer a smaller size?What about using a TV as a computer monitor,anyone do this as I see it is no problem these day? What about now LED seem to be better than LCD?Any advice on monitors would be appreciated before I buy. Summary Is bigger really better?

MikeB
Posted
Posted
Been looking at computer monitors and find that bigger is not much more expensive than some of the smaller ones.Do you have a big one or would you prefer a smaller size?What about using a TV as a computer monitor,anyone do this as I see it is no problem these day? What about now LED seem to be better than LCD?Any advice on monitors would be appreciated before I buy. SummaryIs bigger really better?
You probably already know that and an LED is an LCD, the LED refers to the backlighting. The LCD technology is the same. LEDs are usually thinner and supposedly have more accurate colors. They are also more expensive. Both my TV and computer monitor are LCD, I have this connected to my laptop and it works fine. Very nice picture quality. I would recommend a 24in.

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
Been looking at computer monitors and find that bigger is not much more expensive than some of the smaller ones.Do you have a big one or would you prefer a smaller size?What about using a TV as a computer monitor,anyone do this as I see it is no problem these day? What about now LED seem to be better than LCD?Any advice on monitors would be appreciated before I buy. SummaryIs bigger really better?
I have found that with computer monitors, it is similar to with TV's, if you have enough distance from the monitor/TV then bigger will be better. In our condo in Cebu we have a 32 inch Samsung TV and I occasionally use it as a monitor for my 15.6 inch laptop, and especially when streaming video TV programs from the US, but once I am done watching programs, I find it easier to go back to my regular laptop monitor, so because of the limited distance of my desk in Cebu, the largest monitor I would consider using might be a 24 inch. So to answer your question, I use a 22 inch Acer LCD monitor in our home in Florida and sit about 2 feet away from it, so for me a larger monitor would not work at the desk setup I currently have. Should we move to a new place and I have a greater distance from the monitor there, then I would go with a slightly larger monitor, maybe the one MikeB is using, but not much larger than that because when at my friends house where he uses 32 inch LCD TV's as his monitors, I have to keep turning my head from side to side to read an email or follow a post, so to me that is too large and he sits about 3 feet away from his monitors, Yes he has more than one because he works the stock market. As for LCD verses LED, we recently bought a 40 inch flat screen LCD TV because our 36 inch picture tube set finally crapped out after 14 years, and because Wallmart had it on sale for $348, and then we also bought a 42 inch Flat screen LED TV since it was on sale for the ridiculously low price of $449, and I really cannot see the difference besides the LED being much lighter and thinner, so for the deals out there for LCD's, then I would buy those instead of the LED when buying my next monitor unless the thinner LED was super cheap as well.

Art2ro
Posted
Posted

It's not that I can't afford an LCD or LED big screen TV for just watching or hooking up my PC to it, it's just because my 3 old analog TVs are still functioning fine and I'm happy with their resolution and my 22" HP brand LCD desktop monitor is big enough and comfortable to the eyes. I just might buy myself an LCD or LED big screen TV no larger than 42" for Christmas and then again, I might not, because it's not on our priority list of things to buy! we're saving our millions of centavos for a down payment on a decent vehicle, because my old 1979 Toyota needs a rest and a makeover!

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
If you are going to watch TV and movies on the monitor larger could be better depending on the size of the room and how far from the screen you plan to view from.LED could be a better choice in a room with lots of light or sunlight. Overall a Plasma has the best picture.I use an older 20 inch LCD with my desktop my eyes are no more than 24 inches away from the screen and I do not watch TV or movies on it.We have a 58 inch Plasma in the living room for cable TV, Blue ray and online netflix or other online movies.

MikeB
Posted
Posted
As for LCD verses LED, we recently bought a 40 inch flat screen LCD TV because our 36 inch picture tube set finally crapped out after 14 years, and because Wallmart had it on sale for $348, and then we also bought a 42 inch Flat screen LED TV since it was on sale for the ridiculously low price of $449, and I really cannot see the difference besides the LED being much lighter and thinner, so for the deals out there for LCD's, then I would buy those instead of the LED when buying my next monitor unless the thinner LED was super cheap as well.
I agree, it's a matter of how much you can spend. Thinner and lighter in a computer monitor is a good thing, I constantly have to flip mine upside down to reconnect the HDMI cable from the TV when watching movies. If the cost is not much more I would go with LED for that reason alone.

Gary
Posted
Posted

The size of your monitor has a direct corelation to how good your eyesight is.

• Like 1

CebuAndy
Posted
Posted

I have a HP 2309m '23' HDMI monitor (USD 275 last year). Today they sell 25-27 for same prices.Sometimes I connect to a 42 plasma TV, but I feel uncomfortable with 10 feet distance to the screen. Is bigger really better?Yes, if you ask missus :no: - No if you ask me, I will not buy or use much bigger.