Imported Meat-Wholesale

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Anyone know of or have experience in buying imported meat such as beef,I mean wholesale not retail unless you know of a retailer who can supply at wholesale prices.Oh, I mean in the Philippines. Thanks in advance.

• 5 months later...
Tatoosh
Posted
Posted

I can't help on this question at the moment, but I hope to be able to later this year. I have a brother-in-law working in the fruit and vegetable section of the local SM grocery. They are not directly SM employees, as SM contracts different vendors to provide food and workers for various sections of their markets. He was offered a promotion by the fruit and veggie contractor. He has been offered a job by the meat contractor which he is going to accept after his contract with the fruit and veggie section is done, sometime in late February or early March. The reason he wants to make the switch is because the meat contractor provides butchers to both Australia and Canada. Plus they pay a bit better here in the Philippines. It will likely entail his moving to Manila, so I won't have a local in for good meat, but I will have a source of information on where meat is coming from down the road. If and when I do, I'll let you know. In a tangentially related subject, my Weber and smoker insert arrived, so traditionally low and slow ribs, chicken, chops and so forth will be coming soon. Just have to source some woods I can use for smoking.

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted

Sorry ,on wholesale I cant help.the ONLY PLACE I AM aware of . is S & R membership shopping. thats ONLY RETAIL store I know of.althou others may sell IMPORTED meat

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
I can't help on this question at the moment, but I hope to be able to later this year. I have a brother-in-law working in the fruit and vegetable section of the local SM grocery. They are not directly SM employees, as SM contracts different vendors to provide food and workers for various sections of their markets. He was offered a promotion by the fruit and veggie contractor. He has been offered a job by the meat contractor which he is going to accept after his contract with the fruit and veggie section is done, sometime in late February or early March.The reason he wants to make the switch is because the meat contractor provides butchers to both Australia and Canada. Plus they pay a bit better here in the Philippines. It will likely entail his moving to Manila, so I won't have a local in for good meat, but I will have a source of information on where meat is coming from down the road. If and when I do, I'll let you know.In a tangentially related subject, my Weber and smoker insert arrived, so traditionally low and slow ribs, chicken, chops and so forth will be coming soon. Just have to source some woods I can use for smoking.
Sorry I meant to reply to this the other day.Thanks for the info and keep me up to date as to what you find out. :tiphat:

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
thats ONLY RETAIL store I know of
I wondered about that. There is a merchant here in Naval Biliran who purchases from S/R in Cebu. He ships the items here and then sells them for the same price as the sticker from S/R. It means either he has a deal to get a wholesale discount from S/R or he is selling these items as a 'loss leader' to keep his place busy with foreign customers. It is not a huge part of his business but I surely appreciate the service. I hesitate to ask him how he is doing it because it may bring it to his attention and cause a 'price increase'. He is a 'Chinoy' businessman who has a good rapport with the English speaking foreigners.
  • Like 2

Mike S
Posted
Posted
He is a 'Chinoy' businessman
Hey Dave ..... you can bet your sweet bippy that if he is Chinoy he is making a profit on EVERYTHING he sales ...... I know ..... the family that owns the apartments we live in is Chinoy and anything they buy for their 4 apartment buildings .... 2 electronic stores and 1 boardinghouse comes from China ..... and I mean everything .... I've been waiting on a part to fix my back door lock for 6 months as it has to come from China ..... nothing like it here in the Phils ..... the one he brought back 3 months ago didn't fit so next time he goes back he will look again ..... funny thing is all the doors on all the apartments have the same type lock ...... :tiphat: ...... not to worry though the lock locks just have to lock it all the time so the wind won't blow the door open ..... :hystery:
  • Like 2

Tatoosh
Posted
Posted

This is an old list from 2010 but it has meat importers licensed by the Philippine Dep't of Agriculture: http://nmis.da.gov.ph/importer/nmis.ai.091010.pdf

• Like 1

i am bob
Posted
Posted
He is a 'Chinoy' businessman
Hey Dave ..... you can bet your sweet bippy that if he is Chinoy he is making a profit on EVERYTHING he sales ...... I know ..... the family that owns the apartments we live in is Chinoy and anything they buy for their 4 apartment buildings .... 2 electronic stores and 1 boardinghouse comes from China ..... and I mean everything .... I've been waiting on a part to fix my back door lock for 6 months as it has to come from China ..... nothing like it here in the Phils ..... the one he brought back 3 months ago didn't fit so next time he goes back he will look again ..... funny thing is all the doors on all the apartments have the same type lock ...... :hystery: ...... not to worry though the lock locks just have to lock it all the time so the wind won't blow the door open ..... :bash:
Neat! You have to lock yourself in! Ever have trouble getting out? :hystery:(sorry - just couldn't resist... all good?)
  • Like 1