Airline Passengers Get New Protections

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

Have you ever been bumped off a flight? So far we have been lucky but one time it came right down to the couple just before us, so almost but we got lucky.Bumping compensation gets a boostPassengers involuntarily bumped from oversold flights are now eligible for more money.Under the new rule, bumped passengers can get up to $650 if the airline can get them to their destination within a short period of time (within one to two hours of their originally scheduled arrival time for domestic flights), or up to $1,300 if they are delayed for a long time.Before Tuesday, the amounts were capped at $400 and $800 respectively.

JJReyes
Posted
Posted (edited)

Last month, our flight from London Heathrow to Chicago O'Hare was oversold. United Airlines announced that they are offering a $1,000 voucher in exchange for any passenger willing to give up their seat. I laughed as a long line formed. I don't think the passengers who volunteered realize the difficulties involved in converting the vouchers into tickets. In addition, they would have to pay in cash $175.00 (inclusive of 20% VAT) for an overnight hotel room near the airport. On another flight, the airline gave all the passengers a $200 voucher because of a 4 hours delay due to mechanical problems. I tried booking a trip through the web using the voucher. The airline had no web pages on this subject. Inadvertent or intentional? Using the phone resulted in being routed to 3 different call centers. After several hours, I finally got a supervisor. She quoted me $975 less the $200 voucher. The advertised price on Travelocity, Expedia, Priceline, etc. was less than $400! The supervisor explained those are special prices. To use the voucher, I would have to pay the regular airline price. My choice was a $775 ticket with voucher or $399 without the voucher. This news story is wonderful. Never volunteer to give up a seat in exchange for a voucher. If you are still bumped off, the airline has to give you cash, something they really hate to do.

Edited by JJR
  • Like 1