Powerful Solar Storm Could Shut Down U.s. For Months

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,478024,00.htmlPowerful Solar Storm Could Shut Down U.S. for Months:SugarwareZ-037: As if there was not already enough to worry about.I am not sure why they are just mentioning the US in this? Shouldn't this hit the whole earth?

Mik
Posted
Posted (edited)

It wouldn't affect my neighbors too much. The hand pump at the well would still work and their firewood would still burn to cook their rice.We are in a period of reduced solar activity now so a solar storm won't happen tomorrow. I read somewhere that a few electrical utility companies have prepared for this scenario by having reserve transformers stockpiled. If all the transformers blew it would take months to manufacture so many replacements. The average person is probably more worried if they will be laid off from their job. But it would be tough for me if the ATMs quit working.

Edited by M.Morey

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
It wouldn't affect my neighbors too much. The hand pump at the well would still work and their firewood would still burn to cook their rice.We are in a period of reduced solar activity now so a solar storm won't happen tomorrow. I read somewhere that a few electrical utility companies have prepared for this scenario by having reserve transformers stockpiled. If all the transformers blew it would take months to manufacture so many replacements. The average person is probably more worried if they will be laid off from their job. But it would be tough for me if the ATMs quit working.
I guess you better stockpile some money come around 2012. SugarwareZ-004.gif I wonder how something like that might affect us all, no TV, no electric, no telephones, no dsl, boy it would be very relaxing for us. SugarwareZ-005.gif

Mik
Posted
Posted

... no videoke. The neighborhood would be mighty quiet.

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
... no videoke. The neighborhood would be mighty quiet.
Nawh, there is always the rooster to keep it from getting too quiet. :SugarwareZ-037: cockadoodle do, any cock will do. SugarwareZ-005.gif

TheMason
Posted
Posted

From the article....A remarkable 2003 rampage included 10 major solar flares over a two-week period, knocking out two Earth-orbiting satellites and crippling an instrument aboard a Mars orbiter.I was working tech support for a software company when this happened. Internet connectivity was disrupted for a large portion of the country for a day or so. People just did not believe that solar flares could cause such a problem, but that's what happened. Based on the reactions of the typical customer to a minor outage like this, I shudder to think what would happen if there was widespread, long-lasting disruption of power and communication networks.

Guardian
Posted
Posted

Get your guns and ammo while you still can, you will need them.