Hurricane Irene To Deliver Blow To Economy

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

With all the cancelled flights and snowballing items it will do to the economy of the US, whether major damage is done or not, I have to wonder if this will be yet one more major blow to the worlds economies? As Hurricane Irene roars toward the East Coast — _ home to some of the country's most densely populated cities and costliest waterfront real estate — _ experts are forecasting a multibillion-dollar disaster.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

Well that's the good news, Kuya Lee. Natural disasters and wars actually help the economy as there is so much rebuilding to do and that means jobs. Its many years later, when people have to pay the bills, that it hurts.

• Like 1

Jake
Posted
Posted (edited)
Well that's the good news, Kuya Lee. Natural disasters and wars actually help the economy as there is so much rebuilding to do and that means jobs. Its many years later, when people have to pay the bills, that it hurts.
You've got that right Dave. I had a friend who was unemployed from the construction industry. He drove his beat up car from CA and headed for New Orleans with two chain saws. He madesome good money cutting up and clearing debris. Natural events such as fires have been going on since the birth of Mother Earth. It becomesa natural disaster only when it's related to a population occupying a known earthquake zone,reclamation area and known flood zones. Perhaps Wall Street in lower Manhattan and thepoliticians in DC need to be toilet flushed anyway. Respectfully -- Jake Edited by Jake
Korrick my Englesh agin

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

Just noticed how kind Mother Nature is being to give New Yorkers this big storm on a weekend. I wonder if the Mayor would shut down the subway and such in the middle of a work week?

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

There's a forecaster from Forbes magazine going out on a limb and saying Hurricane Irene is all hype and "the Weather Channel’s advertising rates skyrocketed." and "Hype begets hype". He predicts a storm but says " It is doubtful that Irene will even cough up eight bodies" You can read his thoughts here

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
There's a forecaster from Forbes magazine going out on a limb and saying Hurricane Irene is all hype and "the Weather Channel’s advertising rates skyrocketed." and "Hype begets hype". He predicts a storm but says " It is doubtful that Irene will even cough up eight bodies" You can read his thoughts here
Hope you both are correct. I have been through my share of hurricanes, and saw the damage they can do. Andrew wiped a whole area out in South Florida, and Wilma that was later said to have only been a cat 1, took off roofs all over, tore up a mobile home park so bad that the streets were littered with aluminum a week, cut the power for 2 weeks in areas, took down so many trees that it looked like a bomb had been dropped, and on and on, so I take these things more serious now. Then there was Erin that was more water than anything else, so much water that the lakes by my home overflowed the roads, so there were fish swimming everywhere, which was funny to see for me because the water did not get up to our home, but when it receded enough to uncover the roads, I took a trip around and found houses flooded all over and some down by the beach areas with 4 feet of water in them and signs that some had much higher levels earlier. After Andrew I drove down to the worst hit areas in Miami to volunteer my time, and found and air conditioner the size of a tractor trailer about a half mile away from the Home Depot roof it was originally on, those darn things are heavy, so how the heck it moved that far amazed me, then there were no street signs to be found anywhere, houses literally leveled, a hotel sucked empty and restored to the empty shell it was when built, and the whole area looked like an atomic bomb had hit it, so it would be my hope that none of that happens with Irene, and so far it looks like it might be all hype from the current news stories, my fingers are crossed.

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
In an early estimate, consulting firm Kinetic Analysis Corp. figured total losses from the storm at $7 billion, with insured losses of $2 billion to $3 billion. The storm left millions without power across much of the Eastern Seaboard, left more than 20 dead and forced airlines to cancel about 9,000 flights. It never became the big-city nightmare forecasters and public officials had warned about, but it still had the ability