Senior Citizen Benefits In Philippines

retired
Posted
Posted

May be missing something in regards to Medicare portability issue but think it's unlikely that US would approve only for a segment of the population such as Phil - Ams . Portability issue has been tossed about a bit but being that it makes sense government probably won't be interested . :-)

i am bob
Posted
Posted

I think the Philippine govenment only speaks about the FilAms regarding Medicare as this is a Filipino group that can get free medical care while returning to live in the Philippines - with all their American dollars in savings. If Medicare is made portable, it will be portable for all Americans obviously.

I had to go and be Canadian... We don't have a true federal medical - it's all provincial! Ain't no way that will be portable!

• 1 month later...
Call me bubba
Posted
Posted

quote name='Mike S' timestamp='1334370019' post='66235'

Here is something I copied from another website but not sure Tom wants a link to it

..... so I just copied it here ....

this pertains to CURRENT laws but for those that might want to read this here it is ..... i

t is interesting to note that at the end of the article it WE CAN use the express lanes in supermarkets and other places ....

but don't attempt to get the discount .....

has anyone tried this .... the senior citizen lane is always much shorter than the regular lanes .....

and as they have to look up all the prices in a book for the discount I see no problem there .....

just don't ask for the discount .....

The Senior citizen card in the Philippines is not meant for senior citizens of foreign countries in the Philippines even when some Filipino government officials don’t understand their own laws regarding it.

Unfortunately, many expats dont care to read or, maybe, are just incapable of understanding the restrictions in the law for some curious and selfish reasons.

As Expats in the Philippines, we are visitors whether we are tourist or permanent residence or under SSRV: we have no right by taking away the benefits that belong to the Filipino Citizens.

To clarify, Section 2 of Republic Act 9257 (Expanded Senior Citizens Act of 2003) defines that:

• Senior citizen or elderly shall mean any resident citizen of the Philippines at least sixty (60) years old;

The above is very clear and the operative word is citizen.

A foreigner may be a permanent resident but not necessarily a Philippine citizen.

A non-Philippine citizen, therefore, cannot legally acquire a Philippine senior citizen card.

Business establishments are well within their rights to respectfully ask for proof of Filipino citizenship.

Rule III, Article 5, Section 5.5 of RA 9257 Implementing Rules and Regulations (IRR) states that:

5.5 IDENTIFICATION DOCUMENT refers to any document or proof of being a senior citizen which shall be used for the availment of benefits and privileges under the law, such as the following:

• Identification card issued by the City or Municipal Mayor/Office of Senior Citizens Affairs (OSCA) or of the barangay captain of the place where the senior citizen or the elderly resides
  • The passport of the elderly person or senior citizen concerned
  • Other documents that establish the senior citizen or elderly person is a citizen of the Republic and who is at least sixty (60) years of age

It may be worth mentioning also the great risks facing offenders. Section 10 (Penalties) of the same act states that:

• If the offender is an alien or a foreigner, he shall be deported immediately after the service of the sentence [six months or more imprisonment] without further deportation proceedings.

Filipino Senior Citizen Discount Benefits. If you are a foreigner and are using this benefit then BEWARE.

When in a supermarket or other store and even in some government offices like LTO, it is allowed to use the senior citizens lane, but do not try to get the discount Filipino Senior Citizens are getting.

here is the article from dear pao regarding the discount

as posted on a previous topic

Under Republic Act No. 9257 or more commonly known as the Expanded Senior Citizen’s Act of 2003,

the term senior citizens as used therein is defined as:

“(a) ‘Senior citizen’ or ‘elderly’ shall mean any resident citizen of the Philippines at least sixty (60) years old” (Section 2)

While in the Implementing Rules and Regulations of said law, the term senior citizen is defined, thusly:

“5.1 SENIOR CITIZEN OR ELDERLY – refers to any Filipino citizen who is a resident of the Philippines, and who is sixty (60) years old or above. It may apply to senior citizens with “dual citizenship” status provided they prove their Filipino citizenship and have at least six (6) months residency in the Philippines” (Rule III, Article 5).

It is thus sufficiently clear from the foregoing that R.A. No. 9257 is only applicable and only covers Filipino citizens, including DUAL citizens, who are 60 years of age or older and who are likewise residents of the Philippines.

Hence, foreigners are excluded from availing of the benefits of said law.

In order to avail of the benefits under the said law, including the 20% discount in restaurants,

the senior citizen must present proof of his/her entitlement to the same by presenting the following:

“(a) an ID issued by the city or municipal mayor or of the barangay captain of the place where the senior citizen or the elderly resides;

(b) the passport of the elderly person or senior citizen concerned; and

© other documents that establish that the senior citizen or elderly person is a Citizen of the repubic and is at least sixty (60) years of age” (Section 4, R.A. No. 9257).

“a) Senior Citizens’ Identification Card issued by the Office of Senior Citizens Affairs (OSCA) in the city or municipality where the elderly resides;

b) The Philippine passport of the elderly person or senior citizen concerned; and

c) Other valid documents that establish the senior citizen or elderly person as a citizen of the Republic and at least sixty (60) years of age,

which shall include but not be limited to the following government-issued identification documents indicating an elderly’s birthdate or age:

driver's license,

voters ID,

SSS/GSIS ID,

PRC card,

Postal ID” (Rule III, Article 5.5, Implementing Rules and Regulations of R.A. No. 9257).

Thus, if a senior citizen who dines in your restaurant presents any of the proofs,

then you are duty-bound under the law to grant them the 20% discount.

The fact that they possess any of the said proofs is prima facie evidence that said senior citizen is a Filipino citizen, even if the person does not look like he/she is of Filipino descent.

This is because said person might have successfully undergone the process of naturalization and has already acquired Filipino citizenship.

And if that is the case, then he/she is entitled to avail of the benefits under the Expanded Senior Citizens Act of 2003, provided that the necessary residency requirement is also met. :thumbsup:

retired
Posted
Posted

quote name='Mike S' timestamp='1334370019' post='66235'

Here is something I copied from another website but not sure Tom wants a link to it

..... so I just copied it here ....

this pertains to CURRENT laws but for those that might want to read this here it is ..... i

t is interesting to note that at the end of the article it WE CAN use the express lanes in supermarkets and other places ....

but don't attempt to get the discount .....

has anyone tried this .... the senior citizen lane is always much shorter than the regular lanes .....

and as they have to look up all the prices in a book for the discount I see no problem there .....

just don't ask for the discount .....

The Senior citizen card in the Philippines is not meant for senior citizens of foreign countries in the Philippines even when some Filipino government officials don’t understand their own laws regarding it.

Unfortunately, many expats dont care to read or, maybe, are just incapable of understanding the restrictions in the law for some curious and selfish reasons.

As Expats in the Philippines, we are visitors whether we are tourist or permanent residence or under SSRV: we have no right by taking away the benefits that belong to the Filipino Citizens.

To clarify, Section 2 of Republic Act 9257 (Expanded Senior Citizens Act of 2003) defines that:

• Senior citizen or elderly shall mean any resident citizen of the Philippines at least sixty (60) years old;

The above is very clear and the operative word is citizen.

A foreigner may be a permanent resident but not necessarily a Philippine citizen.

A non-Philippine citizen, therefore, cannot legally acquire a Philippine senior citizen card.

Business establishments are well within their rights to respectfully ask for proof of Filipino citizenship.

Rule III, Article 5, Section 5.5 of RA 9257 Implementing Rules and Regulations (IRR) states that:

5.5 IDENTIFICATION DOCUMENT refers to any document or proof of being a senior citizen which shall be used for the availment of benefits and privileges under the law, such as the following:

• Identification card issued by the City or Municipal Mayor/Office of Senior Citizens Affairs (OSCA) or of the barangay captain of the place where the senior citizen or the elderly resides
  • The passport of the elderly person or senior citizen concerned
  • Other documents that establish the senior citizen or elderly person is a citizen of the Republic and who is at least sixty (60) years of age

It may be worth mentioning also the great risks facing offenders. Section 10 (Penalties) of the same act states that:

• If the offender is an alien or a foreigner, he shall be deported immediately after the service of the sentence [six months or more imprisonment] without further deportation proceedings.

Filipino Senior Citizen Discount Benefits. If you are a foreigner and are using this benefit then BEWARE.

When in a supermarket or other store and even in some government offices like LTO, it is allowed to use the senior citizens lane, but do not try to get the discount Filipino Senior Citizens are getting.

here is the article from dear pao regarding the discount

as posted on a previous topic

Under Republic Act No. 9257 or more commonly known as the Expanded Senior Citizen’s Act of 2003,

the term senior citizens as used therein is defined as:

“(a) ‘Senior citizen’ or ‘elderly’ shall mean any resident citizen of the Philippines at least sixty (60) years old” (Section 2)

While in the Implementing Rules and Regulations of said law, the term senior citizen is defined, thusly:

“5.1 SENIOR CITIZEN OR ELDERLY – refers to any Filipino citizen who is a resident of the Philippines, and who is sixty (60) years old or above. It may apply to senior citizens with “dual citizenship” status provided they prove their Filipino citizenship and have at least six (6) months residency in the Philippines” (Rule III, Article 5).

It is thus sufficiently clear from the foregoing that R.A. No. 9257 is only applicable and only covers Filipino citizens, including DUAL citizens, who are 60 years of age or older and who are likewise residents of the Philippines.

Hence, foreigners are excluded from availing of the benefits of said law.

In order to avail of the benefits under the said law, including the 20% discount in restaurants,

the senior citizen must present proof of his/her entitlement to the same by presenting the following:

“(a) an ID issued by the city or municipal mayor or of the barangay captain of the place where the senior citizen or the elderly resides;

(b) the passport of the elderly person or senior citizen concerned; and

© other documents that establish that the senior citizen or elderly person is a Citizen of the repubic and is at least sixty (60) years of age” (Section 4, R.A. No. 9257).

“a) Senior Citizens’ Identification Card issued by the Office of Senior Citizens Affairs (OSCA) in the city or municipality where the elderly resides;

b) The Philippine passport of the elderly person or senior citizen concerned; and

c) Other valid documents that establish the senior citizen or elderly person as a citizen of the Republic and at least sixty (60) years of age,

which shall include but not be limited to the following government-issued identification documents indicating an elderly’s birthdate or age:

driver's license,

voters ID,

SSS/GSIS ID,

PRC card,

Postal ID” (Rule III, Article 5.5, Implementing Rules and Regulations of R.A. No. 9257).

Thus, if a senior citizen who dines in your restaurant presents any of the proofs,

then you are duty-bound under the law to grant them the 20% discount.

The fact that they possess any of the said proofs is prima facie evidence that said senior citizen is a Filipino citizen, even if the person does not look like he/she is of Filipino descent.

This is because said person might have successfully undergone the process of naturalization and has already acquired Filipino citizenship.

And if that is the case, then he/she is entitled to avail of the benefits under the Expanded Senior Citizens Act of 2003, provided that the necessary residency requirement is also met. :thumbsup:

http://www.philippin...s-cannot-avail/

http://www.philippin...et-20-discount/

Won't get into the it's legal not legal thing but i do use the Senior Citizen line every time i go to the grocery or bank . In fact , just used yesterday at the grocery but truth is that store is never crowded so really would not matter . Did have a silent chuckle though at the check out gal . Placed an 8 pack of double a batts on the counter and she turned to the bagger and said " See, smart " . I assumed the reference was to the fact they were on sale and you got 8 while paying for 5 . Might use 8 double A's within the next 2 years , but what the heck . Just ignored her comment as didn't want to appear as the smart "ass" foreigner . :-)

• Like 1

Mike S
Posted
Posted

According to the cashiers at SM here in Cebu a foreigner can use the senior citizen line AS LONG AS THEY DON'T GET THE SENIOR CITIZEN DISCOUNT........ she was quite clear on that ...... I haven't tried it yet because it takes so long for the girls to look up the price of everything so the seniors can get their discount ...... and a lot of things are not discounted ......

• Like 1

i am bob
Posted
Posted

I wonder what would happen there should some westerner with a senior's card came in and demanded that they get their discount...?

Steve & Myrlita
Posted
Posted

I wonder what would happen there should some westerner with a senior's card came in and demanded that they get their discount...?

You will see them shouting from behind bars asking the cops "Where's my discount? I want it and I want it now!"
  • Like 2

Mike S
Posted
Posted

Actually I guess......I doesn't really matter to me (see last sentence at the end of this post) that some foreigners have senior citizen cards ...... regardless if they got them from some official for all their "good deeds" or bribed them or if they get forged ones ........ if you got one all the more power to you ....... less than a hand full are able to get them ..... at the present time I am quite able to provide for myself with out any assistance ....... I personally didn't use my senior citizen discount in the US and I doubt very seriously if I will use it here if it becomes legal for ALL foreigners to get one ...... the exception might be if i was hospitalized ..... but even then they will just adjust the cost to fit the person ..... kano's will pay more regardless .... so if I get a 20% discount the price will go up 20% .....

The articles and opinions I gave are what the Philippine law states as I don't want the vast majority of foreigners coming here to expect to get or think they can get one of these cards ..... it is not going to happen unless they change the law ......

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Shoot me if you want but I feel that foreigners who have a seniors discount card while living in the Philippines are rorting the system and are as cheap as the cheap skates they complain about like the government officials who seek bribes. No damn difference in my book as my mum would say. Its common knowledge for any average person that if you are living in a foreign country and especially a poor one that you do not get steak and eggs on a plate for nothing.

Wake up, smell the roses!

• Like 1

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted
I feel that foreigners who have a seniors discount card while living in the Philippines are rorting the system and are as cheap as the cheap skates

Boss man I have agreed with you on many topics in the past & i understand your position on this

EXCEPT that some of us(expats/FM) are watching.pinching our pesos,cutting out some unneeded expense.

As some of us(expats/FM) are on a FIXED INCOME , every peso counts when the AUS/CAN/USD$ drops thats less money we can spend.

as we know this isnt Kansas we made a choice to live here .

When some of left our home country we lost some important benefits, which is $$ that we now must pay out of our pocket

(medicare.National health insurance ect )

in this forum many stories have been posted about being TAKEN ADVANTAGE OF or being overcharged Those who do this I am sure do this as to save $ and in an indirect way of taking advantage of a discount as the system usually looks the other way.

is what they do "legal",? well legal in the eye of the beholder way.

Am i cheap myself? I will not buy the cheapest item

but the lowest cost item IF it is a QUALITY MADE PRODUCT,

I myself have not used this discount BUT if the opportunity arose I would as long as i had obtained it from a "LEGAL" source to USE this discount.

• Like 2