Can A Us Citizen Teach English In The Philippines ?

davis27
Posted
Posted

^ the Philippine Constitution says that anyone born to a Filipino parent is eligible for Filipino citizenship, even if born abroad, provided that the parent was a Filipino citizen at the time of birth.

Anyway, is a call center trainer the highest paying English teaching job in the Philippines?

bows00
Posted
Posted

When you decide to retire in the Philippines and if you are still worried about your  income after retirement... then you have no business retiring there yet! Harsh, but true... It's a wrong move my friends...   based on my research so far, you are better off seeking a job in the US than risking your future in the Philippines!  Common!  Get real! Take one step at a time guys.. secure your income first.. then make your move.  It is really tough to make any money there. Hell.. why do you think the Filipinos are seeking jobs outside of their own country?  What makes you think you can do one better than the majority of the population there - as a foreigner?

Once you make the move there, IMHO, it is a matter of keeping busy and fulfilled.. you should set yourself up so that any job you find there is just to keep you busy and happy... and the income won't matter.. it will be just a job to establish relationships... friends...  and be happy.. you will be working for the love of your work... and friends...and if not, you will have the financial freedom of just plane quiting... and move on until you find another place that suites you better...  it is awesome to what financial independence and freedom provides...    

• Like 3

davis27
Posted
Posted

I'm not trying to retire there. I just want to live there for a few years, get more experience teaching while also helping my country in some way. Yes, I consider the Philippines my country. I want the experience of living in the Philippines when I'm young. Money isn't the main factor because I know I could make more money teaching in other countries, but still I'd obviously prefer a job in the Philippines that pays more rather than less. So would call center trainer be the best job for a native English speaker with a Masters in teaching English as a second language?

Thomas
Posted
Posted
I'm not trying to retire there. I just want to live there for a few years, get more experience teaching while also helping my country in some way. Yes, I consider the Philippines my country. I want the experience of living in the Philippines when I'm young. Money isn't the main factor because I know I could make more money teaching in other countries,
:thumbsup:
but still I'd obviously prefer a job in the Philippines that pays more rather than less. So would call center trainer be the best job for a native English speaker with a Masters in teaching English as a second language?
I don't know if it's the best of all, perhaps a biger Call Center would want to employ you to improve English for employees they have allready. It don't hurt to ask   :)    (In an other topic were the bigest Call Centers listed.)

But I suppouse you will get no problem to get a common English teaching job, because many get that WITHOUT the English teaching exam you have...  :)

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
^ the Philippine Constitution says that anyone born to a Filipino parent is eligible for Filipino citizenship, even if born abroad, provided that the parent was a Filipino citizen at the time of birth. Anyway, is a call center trainer the highest paying English teaching job in the Philippines?

Yes, but the application process for Americans of Filipinos ancestry is different and more complicated. You need to be careful because in certain situations, the US government might conclude you have given up your citizenship. For example, the Philippine government requires you to use your Philippine passport for travel. Another is applying for a security sensitive job in the United States later.

I looked into this matter about a year ago due to property ownership issues. My conclusion was I would have to pay taxes in the Philippines and the United States (citizens are taxed on their global income).  

davis27
Posted
Posted

^ the Philippine Constitution says that anyone born to a Filipino parent is eligible for Filipino citizenship, even if born abroad, provided that the parent was a Filipino citizen at the time of birth. Anyway, is a call center trainer the highest paying English teaching job in the Philippines?

Yes, but the application process for Americans of Filipinos ancestry is different and more complicated. You need to be careful because in certain situations, the US government might conclude you have given up your citizenship. For example, the Philippine government requires you to use your Philippine passport for travel. Another is applying for a security sensitive job in the United States later.

I looked into this matter about a year ago due to property ownership issues. My conclusion was I would have to pay taxes in the Philippines and the United States (citizens are taxed on their global income).  

If you're working in the Philippines, you'll have to pay Philippines and US tax, but if you're working in the US, you'll only have to pay US tax. The Philippines won't tax you unless you're working there. So yeah, I'd be taxed more for being a dual citizen working in the Philippines, but maybe it's worth it because working as a citizen would be a hell of a lot easier than being a foreigner. 

Thomas
Posted
Posted
Don't USA have double tax agreement with the Philippines (=Agreement so no same income will be taxed in two countries.) Not even although it has been a colony???

(Sweden have such agreements with many countries.)

• Like 1

davis27
Posted
Posted

^ This is what I found

"The Philippines and the United States have a tax treaty. Such a treaty is meant to prevent “double taxation”—which happens when an individual pays full income tax in the foreign country and also pays full income tax in the Philippines for the same income."

Read more: http://business.inquirer.net/153963/pacquiao-still-has-to-report-income-tax-payments-made-in-us-bir#ixzz2pNermyEP 

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

Going back to the original topic title, "Can a US citizen teach English in the Philippines?" The short answer is, "Yes." My suggestion is to travel to the Philippines with your mother when she goes on holiday. You will both receive the Balikbayan or "BB" stamp on your passports. This permits a stay of one year plus extension. Your mother can return early to the United States without any effect on your status. To avoid any entanglement with local labor laws, seek employment prior to departure from a non-Philippine company such as an American Business Process Outsourcing (call center), or an ESL school in Japan or Korea. They will pay better rates than a domestic corporation. 

One example is an American friend who taught ESL in Korea for eight years. Prior to relocating to the Philippines, he arranged to continue giving one-on-one lessons to Korean students. The system is similar to Skype. Since the payments are off-shore through PayPal, he does not pay Philippine taxes and there is no violation of Philippine labor laws. One problem is Internet broadband. His solution was to rent a "bucket seat" at a call center in Makati during their off hours. Most call centers are busy at night when it is daytime in the United States. The income is not much. He receives Social Security benefits, so the added income is supplemental.

If you decide on the dual citizenship approach, please keep the forum updated. I am personally curious if others are successful. My research had indicated there were more problems than benefits.  

davis27
Posted
Posted

^ Thanks for the advice, and I will keep you all updated if i go through with it. What do you think about teaching Koreans in the Philippines? I know that thousands come to the Philippines to learn English, but perhaps that pay would be very low because Koreans are coming to the Philippines as a cheaper alternative to other countries where they could learn English. Do you know anything about jobs in the international schools?