Can A Us Citizen Teach English In The Philippines ?

earthdome
Posted
Posted

Just a quick note, I have been told there are more than 10,000 korean students attending universities in Baguio.

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
Thanks for the advice, and I will keep you all updated if i go through with it. What do you think about teaching Koreans in the Philippines? I know that thousands come to the Philippines to learn English, but perhaps that pay would be very low because Koreans are coming to the Philippines as a cheaper alternative to other countries where they could learn English. Do you know anything about jobs in the international schools?

Several years ago, we looked into the possibility of using call centers and English speaking teachers in the Philippines to provide after school tutorial services for Native American, Pacific Islander and Hispanic students in the United States. We studied the Japanese, Korean and Chinese ESL business models. One problem is the federal grants required Standard American English. They speak Filipino English in the Philippines

What I learned after visiting ESL companies in Korea and their subsidiaries in the Philippines is they pay lower wages for Filipino teachers and much higher for "foreigners." The Filipino teachers weren't too happy and they started reporting to local authorities about the foreigners in their midst. Many were informal residents with no work permits. To avoid problems with the local authorities, most Korean ESL companies hire Filipinos only.

Papa Carl might be in a better position to provide a more up-to-date insight on Korean ESL. I think he is still involved with one of the language school. 

• Like 1

BrettGC
Posted
Posted

Just as an aside JJ, the US has allowed dual-citizenship for some years now.  Their only disclaimer is as follows:

Dual Citizenship: The U.S. government allows dual citizenship. United States law recognizes U.S. Dual Citizenship, but the U.S. government does not encourage it is as a matter of policy due to the problems that may arise from it. It is important to understand that a foreign citizen does NOT lose his or her citizenship when becoming a U.S. citizen. An individual that becomes a U.S. citizen through naturalization may keep his or her original citizenship. However, as some countries do not recognize dual citizenship, it is important to consider it carefully before applying for US citizenship.

Sorry if I misunderstood your statement with regards to whether or not it's permissible.

Here's a list of countries and restrictions world-wide:

http://www.dlgimmigration.com/united-states-citizenship/list-of-countries-that-allow-or-disallow-dual-citizenship/

D'Allesio are reputable; they're who I used to obtain my green card a few years back. 

• Like 1

loveexpats
Posted
Posted (edited)

Hello Cyrus

My name is Tonette, I am writing you on behalf of the company that i am working with. We are currently looking expats who live in Cebu  who might be interested in joining our team.Please shoot me an email to further discuss the nature of the job 

Hope to hear from you .

Regards,

Tonette

Note from forum owner

You can discuss the nature of the job here ort pay to advertise. 

Removed Email

Jollygoodfellow

Edited by Jollygoodfellow
added note