Canadian Citizen Killed In Surigao City

Steve & Myrlita
Posted
Posted (edited)

I met Harry on my last stay here. We were both staying at the Metro Park Hotel and the word at the time was he hiding out as an attempt had already been made on his life., apparently a bullet had been fired through his window at him at his home somewhere in Mindinau (?).

More on an attempt on his life.

post-1-0-32065700-1345039035_thumb.jpg

Fredericton man killed in Philippines had previous attempt on life

Harry Doyle was shot at through window in February, says friend

A former Fredericton businessman, who was shot and killed in the Philippines, had been considering moving back to Canada after a previous attempt on his life, according to one of his friends.

Harry Joseph Doyle, 62, died of multiple gunshot wounds at a beach resort in Surigao City on Sunday.

His former business partner and long-time friend Stephen Thompson says he spoke to Doyle on the phone about a month ago about coming home.

“We had a conversation about, someone had tried to shoot him back in February,” Thompson told CBC News.

'He was quite concerned about his environment, his safety and his family's safety.'

—Stephen Thompson, friend

“He was sitting in his home reading one night and somebody drove by and took a shot through his window and just barely missed him,” he said.

“Of course, he was quite concerned about his environment, his safety and his family's safety.”

Doyle’s Facebook profile picture is of him with the apparent bullet hole in the window behind him.

There is also a separate photo album, entitled murder attempt, with 11 photographs of the bullet hole.

“I told my sister two years ago I would be murdered for being a good guy,” Doyle had posted on his Facebook page on Feb. 4.

“Everyone carries a gun here," he wrote.

Police seek suspects in fatal shooting

Doyle had moved to the Philippines about seven or eight years ago, but still owned several properties in Fredericton.

It’s unclear whether police in the Philippines were investigating the alleged murder attempt in February, but Doyle had posted “the police will get us justice.”

Police are now investigating his death.

Police said Doyle was at Palma Beach in Surigao City when he was approached by two men who apparently asked for food.

Doyle reportedly pushed one of the men and the other man drew a pistol and shot Doyle several times, killing him, police said.

"Just underneath everything, Harry's a real decent guy and he was … you know, when he was your friend, he was your friend for life," said Thompson.

"And he would do anything for you and I know he loved his family."

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...hot-murder.html

I'm thinking maybe he saw the gun and pushed one of them away in an attempt to disarm him or maybe flee but instead failed and was killed. Yes, it does smell like a hit. Edited by Steve & Myrlita
  • Like 1

gmb8585
Posted
Posted

In my mind this was a hit pure and simple and any talk of these guys asking for money or food or whatever is pure bullsh&t. As for the instigator look to who would benefit the most from Harry Doyles' death. As for there being no one who can identity the killers when there were up to 30 people present at the time-this speaks volumes. Perhaps if the family would use some of Harrys' money and put up a substantial reward someone may suddenly come forth. I can almost guarantee however that this will not occur. I hope I'm wrong.

• Like 4

i am bob
Posted
Posted

One of the newscasts here in Canada stated that Mr Doyle would not leave the Philippines after the first shot through his window was because, as he had told friends in Canada, he "personally owns over $300,000 (P13 million) of property and just wasn't going to leave it behind". Now I know we Canadians can't own property outright so I'm not really sure how this comes into the story.

• Like 3

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

One of the newscasts here in Canada stated that Mr Doyle would not leave the Philippines after the first shot through his window was because, as he had told friends in Canada, he "personally owns over $300,000 (P13 million) of property and just wasn't going to leave it behind". Now I know we Canadians can't own property outright so I'm not really sure how this comes into the story.

Could be the reason he was murdered? My opinion only.

• Like 2

jamesmusslewhite
Posted
Posted

Harry does not have anywhere near that amount of assets here. That was false brovaldo. Perhaps $50,000 once you get the leans paid off.

jamesmusslewhite
Posted
Posted

It may be his 1 million Canadian dollar insurance policy.

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

AHHH! now we are getting somewhere, Property, Insurance, Business Connections. " Sometimes, I sit and Think, Sometimes I just sit." the list of possibilities will go on and on. This can be a Problem when we brag about things, the truth, will I doubt Never come out. Only those involved will know and I doubt they will come forward, Untill the next hit of course. I for one, would not want to have been a witness. :no: i still think there is more to this that meets the eye. IMHO :unsure:

:tiphat:

• Like 2

Steve & Myrlita
Posted
Posted

AHHH! now we are getting somewhere, Property, Insurance, Business Connections. " Sometimes, I sit and Think, Sometimes I just sit." the list of possibilities will go on and on. This can be a problem when we brag about things. The truth, I doubt will never come out. Only those involved will know and I doubt they will come forward, until the next hit of course. I for one, would not want to have been a witness. I still think there is more to this that meets the eye. IMHO

That's right Jack. Everyone here knows that witnesses have a habit of disappearing "Eliminated" here.

Adventurer
Posted
Posted

What is the main motif for murder? greed!, money!

A family picnic, planned!

30 witnesses, no arrest!

I hear certain family members were in the CR at the time

big insurance payout

Apparently he was shot at before, seems someone was out to get him, definitely not anyone upset over his political views as they would have done it right the first time, ;) somethings that cross my mind....

luke
Posted
Posted

Scenarios I can think is:

In order to start a business here he needs local partners that have 60% of the shares, 40 % is yours.

Incorporations can own property. Again in the end he only "owns" 40% of that.

The relationship with one or more partners turns sour and they want him gone/out....

A busness deal went bad. The angry customer lost money or lost face in public. He/she/they want revenge .....

They will try to scare you away at first. If that doesn't work they want you gone in a zinc coufin!