Living On A Boat In The Philippines

bobbyharmon
Posted
Curley
Posted
Posted

I was reading on another forum about a houseboat builder in south negros oriental. south of dumaguete in a place called tambobo bay. The builder is an Australian named Nigel. I hear their are many boats for sale down there. a real sailors community. Bobbyharmon

Thanks bobbyharmon, perhaps its not such a crazy idea after all.

Jake
Posted
Posted

Although I don't have personal experience actually living on any small vessels, I have read stories

of many sailors about the pros and cons.

One sailor describes his experience in the Philippines. Basically, he eventually relocated to a more

stable land lock dwelling. If you don't have a nuclear powered generator for fans or a small AC unit,

the inner cabin temps could really be a torture. Even tied up to a nice private mooring with all the

hotel services may financially run you dry. Also the constant fear during every typhoon season can

stress you out. There are some adequate safe harbors but are few and far between.

You may be out coastal navigation over the weekend and a sudden squall hits you. Are there any

decent nautical maps to locate the nearest natural safe harbor anywhere in the Philippines? Are the

modern day pirates still active down south?

As far as permanent location living near or on the water, you may want to try the basic bamboo huts

on stilts first - just to test out your will to survive. It ain't no picnic. As for me (a Filipino), the bamboo

structure will be much stronger than my will to continue living on the edge year after year.

Respectfully -- Jake

• Like 2

Curley
Posted
Posted

Thank you Jake

• 4 years later...
David-Paul
Posted
Posted (edited)

Regarding discussion on the subject of living on a boat in the Philippines firstly the Philippines is far safer than you might think particularly in Davao and Palwan both with tough people running them and in the case of Davao our mayor is now president and sorting the whole country out. Davao is a paradise of peace and has certain avantages surrounded by mountains no typhoons or rough weathe at all. Very safe for foreigners and I know a lot of people will turn their noses up at the idea of buying a condominium consider the advantages. You CAN buy one in your name they are cheaper, you can walk out the door come back five years later walk back in the door and all will be the same. You want a garden get some flower baskets and hang them on the balcony in the Philippines you are out having fun most of the time you need far less than you think.

I have always thought the Philippines would be a yachting paradise but I think the security situation put people off but that is changing rapidly so go ahead. My suggestion would be to get a cheap yacht from the west coast of America and sail her down to the Philippines then you are free to come and go as you wish, many marinas have abandoned boats for free. Don't create a trap for yourself ie a boat/houseboat that can't be moved if your circumstances change. I saw a William Atkin double ender on Samal Island that had sailed down from Alaska.

Moderator's Note:  Approved post and welcome to the forum but removed the self promoting/advertising bit.  Please contact @Jollygoodfellow for rates if you wish to advertise.

Edited by Dave Hounddriver
  • Like 4