Thailand 'one Of The Most Dangerous Tourist Destinations On Earth

JJReyes
Posted
Posted (edited)

On the subject of being part of the culture when abroad, it is differcult for people older to grasp the language of the people of Asia. What I dont understand why Filipinos who are able to speak English choose not to, when in the company of people who cannot speak Tagalog!

English is not their first language. Some Filipinos are reluctant to use the language with native speakers. They are afraid the grammar is wrong or worse, the native speakers won't understand their version of English.

Going back to the topic of safety in Thailand, my suggestion is to ask locals if there are areas you should not visit. That includes walking in certain streets that are more prone to pedestrian accidents. In many Thailand and Philippine cities, there are no sidewalks. So you are on a main road dodging cars, buses and trucks. Locals have years of experience and training doing it. You don't as someone new to the country.

Edited by JJReyes
  • Like 1

Kuya John
Posted
Posted (edited)
Going back to the topic of safety in Thailand, my suggestion is to ask locals if there are areas you should not visit. That includes walking in certain streets that are more prone to pedestrian accidents.

I understand what you are referring too'

However how does one do that if you dont speak the language, or if the locals are embrassed to speak English?

Safety in Thailand, Philippines, America or UK is still down to being aware of where you are, especially at night.Would you walk up to a stranger in a foreign country and ask, when you dont speak their language unless you felt safe ?

Life is about how much trust you put in your fellow man/woman. These days that takes a lot of trust in God.

When I mentioned about Filipino's chosing not to speak English (when working as OSW in UK) and also in my own home.There are a great many here I thought were my friends through my Filippina wife, yet even in my home they ignore my presence and apologise later in English

Edited by Kuya John
  • Like 2

Methersgate
Posted
Posted

I think that may just because they are glad of the opportunity to use their own language, which they seldom get in England. I find that completely understandable. I lived in China amongst Chinese for five years and used to treasure my occasional "breaks" with fellow native speakers of English. I was "immersed" in Chinese because I was working for a Chinese State Owned Enterprise and I did not want to make my colleagues uneasy with me - some were initially suspicious, but when the Group Party Secretary jokingly proposed me for membership of the CCP on the grounds that "Lao Bei has the two essential qualifications - he his a good man and he can hold his drink!" the thaw was complete. But it took it out of me.

Methersgate
Posted
Posted

A friend who lives in Thailand added a point - the prices of both rubber and rice have dropped, so the Thai balance of payments is not looking too healthy this year. 

Kuya John
Posted
Posted (edited)

A friend who lives in Thailand added a point - the prices of both rubber and rice have dropped, so the Thai balance of payments is not looking too healthy this year. 

Not a lot of people know that!  Meth,

I was "immersed" in Chinese because I was working for a Chinese State Owned Enterprise and I did not want to make my colleagues uneasy with me

Am I right to assume you speak some dialect of Chinese which allowed you join in conversation or were just a man who could hold his drink?

Edited by Kuya John
  • Like 1

Kuya John
Posted
Posted
Spain has more crime against the British than Thailand,,,,Over 6000 British people died last year while abroad,,,,They were not all murdered.,,,,Their are more murders committed in the Philippines than their are in England each year.

Well maybe I should retire to Thailand instead of Philippines or Spain.

Although to be honest I try to avoid British people, especially the younger ones, wherever I go! :dance:

That is why I married a Filippina :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Methersgate
Posted
Posted
Am I right to assume you speak some dialect of Chinese which allowed you join in conversation or were just a man who could hold his drink?

A little of both.

• Like 1

afathertobe
Posted
Posted (edited)

And global demand for both hardware (hard disks and ram especially) and cars has fallen, major export goods of the country. Tourism is down, investor trust as well... not looking great for Thailand at the moment.

But yeah, the article is sensationalist and the author is obviously out for revenge. But Thailand quite simply is not a safe country for whatever metric you want to use; violent crime, tourist deaths, road accidents and so on. I like the country and its people a lot, don't get me wrong. It's simply a misperception that everything's peaceful, friendly and safe.

Edited by afathertobe
  • Like 1

brock
Posted
Posted

Their is crime and death in every country, But I would hazard a guess that their are more foreigners murdered in the Philippines each year than in Thailand, Also compare the tourist statistics

• Like 1

Methersgate
Posted
Posted

Their is crime and death in every country, But I would hazard a guess that their are more foreigners murdered in the Philippines each year than in Thailand, Also compare the tourist statistics

The Philippines is much less popular as a tourist destination compared to Thailand.