Rates Are Up! Get Your Dollars Out From Under The Mattress!

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

as of todays rates means that from today every American I talk to can buy my beer. :mocking:

USA.jpg so need that bit Extra.

intrepid
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Did you check the receipt carefully?  Whenever I have made large purchases for my house using my Capital One card I have noticed a hidden charge of 3 or 4 % on the receipt:  Service charge.  Its what many stores charge for using a credit card to make a large purchase.  Hopefully you did not get hit with that.

Boy Dave, you sure know how to make a guys heart skip a beat.  I have been using this Capital One card for about eight months now after giving it a test usage back then.  I noticed they always always give the current XE rate at the moment the transaction takes place.  The first time I used it was at Mercery Drug.  There was no additional fee whatsoever on that transaction.  So after reading your post I have gone back and pulled mu receipts.  Ace Hardware, Wilcon, Mandaue Foam, Handyman, Watson Drug, and a furniture store at Festival Mall.  Add to that Caltex.  No service charge from any of them.  A little work but I’m happy again.:thumbsup:

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
7 minutes ago, intrepid said:

No service charge from any of them.  A little work but I’m happy again.

Yep.  And I'm jealous LOL.  Must be because Dumaguete is a small town that I get soaked with a service charge for using a credit card for major purchases, of I'm just shopping at the wrong stores :bonk:

Or perhaps the stores I shop at are showing cash prices and they have to charge extra to use a credit card.  I shop for home reno supplies at local shops rather than the big chains so that there will be the difference.

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Good for those from the US but for people like me that only get about 40.19 as of todays rates means that from today every American I talk to can buy my beer. :mocking:

I fully support your endeavor, from afar!  

earthdome
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Yep.  And I'm jealous LOL.  Must be because Dumaguete is a small town that I get soaked with a service charge for using a credit card for major purchases, of I'm just shopping at the wrong stores :bonk:

Or perhaps the stores I shop at are showing cash prices and they have to charge extra to use a credit card.  I shop for home reno supplies at local shops rather than the big chains so that there will be the difference.

I always ask if there is an extra service charge to use credit card  or ask if there is a discount for cash. Sometimes for major purchases there can be a significant discount for cash. If the discount is more than 1.5 % I will pay with cash since I only get 1.5% cash back on my Capital One credit card.

Always had an excellent FX rate when using my Capital One card with no extra fee's from Capital One.

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, earthdome said:

I always ask if there is an extra service charge to use credit card  or ask if there is a discount for cash. Sometimes for major purchases there can be a significant discount for cash. If the discount is more than 1.5 % I will pay with cash since I only get 1.5% cash back on my Capital One credit card.

Always had an excellent FX rate when using my Capital One card with no extra fee's from Capital One.

Usually when I am buying anything significant and negotiating the prices, they will always ask if it will cash or card.  I won't use a credit card if there is an extra charge unless there is another compelling reason to use it.  All the major stores around here accept my Cap One Credit card without a fee.  I find that places like small furniture stores are the ones that charge fees.

I use it more often when rates are high because it is a way to transfer $ to pesos fee free, at an excellent rate.  I used it last Friday to buy gas and just looked at the rate.  51.53 was an excellent rate!

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

I fully support your endeavor, from afar!  

Subic to Cebu is not that far :smile:

earthdome
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

I use it more often when rates are high because it is a way to transfer $ to pesos fee free, at an excellent rate.  I used it last Friday to buy gas and just looked at the rate.  51.53 was an excellent rate!

That matches what I have done in the past.

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

Have any of you folks who use your Capital One card from the US had any trouble here?

I ask because  I used mine in Philippines for quite a few years before someone opened their eyes and said:  Wait a minute, are you living in Philippines?  So they cut off my card until I went back to Canada and actually phoned them from my home phone.  (I tried to get my brother to call and say he was me but he had done that before and said that enough is enough :hystery: )

Now I don't use the card in Philippines but I have used it recently to transfer money to my Philippine bank account when I was buying a car.

earthdome
Posted
Posted
43 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Have any of you folks who use your Capital One card from the US had any trouble here?

I ask because  I used mine in Philippines for quite a few years before someone opened their eyes and said:  Wait a minute, are you living in Philippines?  So they cut off my card until I went back to Canada and actually phoned them from my home phone.  (I tried to get my brother to call and say he was me but he had done that before and said that enough is enough :hystery: )

Now I don't use the card in Philippines but I have used it recently to transfer money to my Philippine bank account when I was buying a car.

I never had any trouble. I made sure I updated my international travel list of countries every few months.

• Thanks 1