Filipinos Reluctance To Walk Instead Use Trisikad Or Trikes?

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Something Thomas stated in another topic agrees with what I've observed during my visits.

It seems few Filipinos are willing to walk more than a hundred meters but instead will take a trisikad.  

One can understand using a trike or jeepney for longer distances or when hauling groceries or whatnot. I'm asking about using a trisikad for short trips around the neighborhood. 

• Like 3

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted

Where I live, the streets are full of holes and dog poop.

I do my walking on my treadmill, the beach  or at an A/C mall.

The main streets in Davao city have the sidewalks littered with vendors. Most sidewalks are used to park their cars and motorcycles. One has to venture out into the traffic to go around all the clutter.

Davao city is not all that great. It has its share of purse snatchers and pickpockets in crowded areas. Wife has alerted me on this many times before I started reading the Mindanao Times. Yes, it has more than its share of bigger crimes as well. Its not as safe as some claim it is.

• Like 2

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
It seems few Filipinos are willing to walk more than a hundred meters

Don't get me started on this topic :bash: .

Ah what the heck :no: . Like most other expats, we see a problem and we come up with ways to fix it. I talked to a relative who works in our local city government asking why jeepneys don't have set pick up and drop off points. Seems like a good way to alleviate traffic problems. He wrinkled his forehead and asked me if I wanted to start another peoples revolution?

When we were building our house our foreman would hand me a list of stuff he needed and I would walk 500 meters to our supplier and order it. Once he forgot something and sent a worker after me with the additional list. He beat me there cuase he would rather spend 8 pesos (out of his 250 peso daily wage) than walk (he was 21 and I was 55 at the time).

And they wonder why they are overweight and suffer from high blood pressure :1 (103): .

• Like 5

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

It's something that puzzles me too. I mean most have little cash to spare but much spare time. I see many overweight Filipinos there as well. 

expatuk2014
Posted
Posted

my wifes reason is and I quote " its Too hot and the sun will make me black !! "

which another excuse for buying Whitening soap !!  :hystery:

IF I HAD MY WAY :1 (103):  I would walk everywhere ! 

from our home we normally get a Tricycle to " The Crossing " 

from there its a short walk to the local supermarkets.

But again once we have done our shopping with the box of groceries and the bottle of water

we walk back to the crossing Tricycle terminal as it saves us 16 pesos !!

Mind you its normally midday and the sun is at its hottest , but then again we do have one of around 20 umbrellas with us !!

so its back home and on the treadmill for 15 mins !!

• Like 1

RBM
Posted
Posted

It's something that puzzles me too. I mean most have little cash to spare but much spare time. I see many overweight Filipinos there as well.

I have mentioned this subject several times to locals. Most answer, well sir, we don't like to get sweaty.

Understood if someone is freshly showered or a lady well dressed how ever seems to me walking any distance is a no no. Number of times being stuck behind a jeep as it stops every few meters to unload passangers amazes me.

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Mind you its normally midday and the sun is at its hottest

You know there are some days that I find 2 to 3 pm hotter especially if there is no breeze to speak of.

JP :tiphat:

frosty (chris)
Posted
Posted

It's the same where I live, it would be 100 yards to the front gate at our Sub Division, but all the males here get on there moto's to go to the sari store just outside the gate and some of these guys really need to loose some weight, funny the females always seem to walk. Also just around the corner there is a two lane street, the locals go to buy something so just park there cars, trucks, jeepneys, pedicabs, moto's right outside the shop they want, so just blocking one half of the street, there attitude seems to be, well screw every one else I'll park where ever I want and they do, really gets my goat up some times.

• Like 4

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted (edited)

The subject seems racist/culturist (for Scott :tiphat:  ) to me.  I don't say that in a bitter way, it just seems that we notice when Filipinos do not walk and do not mention all the foreigners here and people of our own country who do not walk.  For me it is exactly the same, but that's just me I guess.

Lots of foreigners here walk, I do.  Lots of locals walk, my partner does.  When I walk along the boulevard at 6 am there are more Filipinos walking than I can count.  Hundreds and hundreds of them.  Go for a walk at that time and take a look.

Edited by Dave Hounddriver
  • Like 3