Filipinos Reluctance To Walk Instead Use Trisikad Or Trikes?

Thomas
Posted
Posted

I would probably say they dont want to walk for the simple reason there is rarely a sidewalk to walk on, and contending and negotiating the numpties on the road trying to hit you - may as well become part of the traffic issue and not a death statistic.

The situation Old55 refer to in the start topic is RURAL at a road to "nowhere" so almost ever any traffic there - except when they get a tricycle from the bus stop  :lol: 

• Like 2

Steve & Myrlita
Posted
Posted

I get a kick out of how often people ask for the jeeepney to stop.  We have these 3 old ladies that live next to each other... we have to stop at all three houses ha ha.   The other day we honestly had one that the jeepney driver even got mad about.  We were stopped, picking up people, and drove less than one full jeepney length and a  woman called for a stop!  :tiphat:

It could be that the last one that had called out possibly wasn't paying attention as to where the jeep was and almost lost her stop.

Gerald Glatt
Posted
Posted
How would all those drivers make a living if everybody walked? They can't all become cobblers.

:999: They could if they banned flip flops  :dance: 

• Like 2

canadamale
Posted
Posted

Ban slippers oh my gd sacrilegious

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
Ban slippers oh my gd sacrilegious

That would/could be worse than singing "My Way" at a Karaoke  night :hystery:

• Like 2

davewe
Posted
Posted (edited)

Is this really an issue? When I was young I lived in a suburban neighborhood. Other than kids no one walked. If you were going to your neighbor's a block away, you took the car. Walking was apparently something adults only did on the golf course (if they didn't spring for a cart).

My wife's family is very poor. The kids take a trike to school for something like 5 pesos. Why not? It may be the only luxury they get in the day, not that I think of a trike as a luxury.

Speculation about poor sidewalks, hot weather, etc. is accurate. But let's face it - between hard work and the fact that most don't own a car they are forced to walk or be on their feet plenty. It's only in the West where we walk for exercise, pleasure or stress relief. BTW, I love to walk, but I do it because I already spend too much time driving. My wife grew up walking because she had to. Now if we have to go around the corner to the store - she prefers the car!

Edited by davewe
  • Like 1

Thomas
Posted
Posted
Is this really an issue? When I was young I lived in a suburban neighborhood. Other than kids no one walked. If you were going to your neighbor's a block away, you took the car. Walking was apparently something adults only did on the golf course (if they didn't spring for a cart).
That's in USA  :)    In Sweden it was almost the opposite back then. Some days I exersised 3 x 2 hours switching when each group got tired  :) and RUNED between the exersise places, and got a very good stamina. Nowadays parents even drive their kids to their sport exersises! :hystery: