3 MPS internet speed

markpa
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, mogo51 said:

That gets up my nose, when you buy 'unlimited' and then they freeze you after a certain amount.  They obviously do not realsie 'no limit' is just that unlimited, they do the same thing in Thailand.

its not that the price is so high its what you get .  I going to use the net there for Skype and surfing the net, and to buy things on the net. I know i'll need things I might not be able to get there.

markpa
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, Tukaram (Tim) said:

I never see 3 Mbps here.  I get 2, on a good day.  I have a wireless modem at the house.  I used to have wired DSL (another house) - it was no faster.  Odd thing is I can use my VPN, connect through Romania, and get 5 Mbps?  What you will usually find is many area have one provider (generally Globe, Smart, or PLDT) . It is not exactly a monopoly, but close enough.

It works good enough. YouTube, Netflix, and iFlix all stream fine.  Torrents are bit slow, but such is life.  :tiphat:

2 on good day.ok. But you got me wondering. can I use Skype at all? Just a thought. I got to look that up.

• Like 1

markpa
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, scott h said:

Mark, not real sure what your referring to (not being a computer guy) but as to internet speed? Well like almost everything here in the Philippines, it depends on how much your willing to pay and where you are located. I get up to 15 MBHS for about 75 usd a month. But I live in metro manila and we usually get "most" modern conveniences.

One thing you will learn on your journey of discovery here, is that real commercial competition is almost unheard of. Your choices of internet providers is usually limited to 3 major providers (if they are available in the area you settle in). Monopolies of major services is the rule, not the exception. Price competition is almost unheard of.

If you need fast internet speed, I would recommend you stick close to large cities.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Now 15 is liveable, I am thinking Cebu Big city not like Manila, but might get lucky.

• Like 1

Sander Martin
Posted
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, markpa said:

I guess I'll have to change my ways when I get there. I'm a big surfer on the net. I'm on for hours on it, but I can change,  new place new thnings get used to. Thanks. Mark

Depends on what do you do while surfing. If its reading and watching youtube, then the 50gb limit will last you a month easy. Problem with us is that we have 4 people using it. 3 of us stream/download US TV Series and one of us plays alot online (surprisingly not me). Rest of it is just regular facebook.

The Globe 3mbs internet we have costs 1399 per month i think. You can get better if you pay more. You better not live in the middle of nowhere here, if you want good internet.

Compared to Australia the internet is alot cheaper here. Compared to Estonia not so (you would get "unlimited" (50gb a month) 4G usb stick for under 10 euros a month).

Edited by Sander Martin
  • Like 1

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, markpa said:

2 on good day.ok. But you got me wondering. can I use Skype at all? Just a thought. I got to look that up.

I do not use skype but my wife talks to her OFW sisters all the time on it, and I use my Magic Jack (online phone) to talk to my family in the US. I pretty much live online.  Netflix, iFlix, and YouTube play fine, I even stream my 91X radio from San Diego! The only time it is an issue is just if I am in a hurry for a torrent, or if I am uploading to YouTube... 

And since I am on a home service, not a Tattoo stick or cell phone, I have unlimited use. No throttling.  :tiphat: 

• Like 1

Sander Martin
Posted
Posted
18 minutes ago, Tukaram (Tim) said:

I do not use skype but my wife talks to her OFW sisters all the time on it, and I use my Magic Jack (online phone) to talk to my family in the US. I pretty much live online.  Netflix, iFlix, and YouTube play fine, I even stream my 91X radio from San Diego! The only time it is an issue is just if I am in a hurry for a torrent, or if I am uploading to YouTube... 

And since I am on a home service, not a Tattoo stick or cell phone, I have unlimited use. No throttling.  :tiphat: 

Whos the provider? We have Globe DSL and they have that crap 50gb data allowance...

expatuk2014
Posted
Posted

we pay PLDT for and get upto 2mbs and it hovers between 1.35-2.20 mbs there are 2 things you can do to keep speed constant 

1. leave the modem connected, this keeps your connection open and helps maintain speed , if you turn it off at night then when you turn it on

you are more or less fighting to get a good connection !

2. twice a day do a ping test to pldt as this reflects on their servers and this often boosts your speed ! ( both these tips come from our local PLDT Engineer )

we used to have wimax when we first arrived here in 2011 which was rubbish ! and we tried the plugin type which was rubbish so we stayed with PLDT

• Like 1

mogo51
Posted
Posted

Here in Pattaya, I use 3BB generally considered the best, there are several other providers. I pay 900bht a month and get 15mps, 10mps is 690 and you can get 30mps for 1300bht. Ihave an apps box but it is crap and have just about given up on it, although I do get Australian TV with my VPN so not all bad oh and the Ozzie races which is a bit of aroblem with 'freezing' but latest movies are a PIA. There is a Thai provider here that is called 'Ilikehd4" and several of my friends have that, 200b mth for sports only or 300b for everything, BBC stuff mainly, movies etc. that is my next step. But generally speed is quite good here. Pity everything else is so f...ked up.

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted
17 hours ago, Sander Martin said:

Whos the provider? We have Globe DSL and they have that crap 50gb data allowance...

Globe WiMax.  A wireless modem on the roof.  If they have a max, I have never hit it.  :tiphat:

Sander Martin
Posted
Posted
29 minutes ago, Tukaram (Tim) said:

Globe WiMax.  A wireless modem on the roof.  If they have a max, I have never hit it.  :tiphat:

According to Globe (http://www.globe.com.ph/broadband) all their packages have a fixed data allowance (the internet still works once you use your allowance, but the speed drops to around 5-10% of original).

Couldnt find anything about Wimax (might be a old product).

50gb is quite hard to hit if your wife only Skypes and you do what you said. Torrenting is the root of all evil :D.