Brown Lives Matter? Not So Much...

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted (edited)

David is correct.  Mayor Osmena had a hit squad years ago when he was mayor before. Dumpit was well known as a brave policeman later he was involved in some controversial shootings. Osmena made Dumpit his personal guard and depending who you talk to hit man. One fact is a massage gal married a retired Japanese Dr. long story short she took his house and two cars. Dumpit took the mans Mercedes at gunpoint. It was suggested he leave Cebu immediately or he would be killed so he hid out at a local newspaper office.

Edited by Old55
  • Like 1

mogo51
Posted
Posted

This topic has raised some interesting and thought provoking responses.  Robert is a 'due process' advocate, others support him.  Some say the shooting of a suspect in reasonable circumstances are justified.

Having had 16 plus years in law enforcement in Oz, I can tell you 'due process' has lots of holes in it in the west.  The guilty walk or don't get prosecuted for non sensicle reasons at a regular basis.  The legal fraternity gouge obscene sums of money disguised as 'justice' from the purse of those who are least able to afford it.  The legal Administration feed themselves on lobsters at the cost of the public purse and build their empires - with proper justice left in its wake.

The Philippines is a 3rd world country and you are comparing apples with oranges.  Yes you can still see how the legal fraternity and well to do, have control of everyday life.  Along comes Mr. Duterte with his 'no nonsense' style of Government and the people say 'yep that is for me'.  The result, he wins in a landslide.

It was suggested in another post that these rank and file citizens have had enough and the same is happening around the world.  I agree totally with this summation, it is happening in Oz also and I look forward to the day when 'political correctness'  gets the boot well and truly.

• Like 3

northtoalaska
Posted
Posted

One either believes in The Rule of Law or one doesn't. Like democracy, it is the worst form of law, except for all others 

The shooting reported may have been completely justifiable. That isn't the issue of concern. That elected officials are putting a bounty on killings, justifiable or not, is. 

There is no end of trouble that can result from such bounties. If the cops are going to declare "open season" on the bad guys one can expect that soon it will be "open season" on the cops. With a "shoot first, ask questions later" approach the number of accidental killings of innocents will increase.

Once one abandons any semblance of The Rule of Law it is a short distance to absolute dictatorship or at the very least, the kind of chaos that exists in much of Mexico. 

• Like 3

frozenmystic28
Posted
Posted (edited)
On 5/18/2016 at 7:21 PM, robert k said:

I am big on due process. I don't want anyone to go around handing shovels to those accused so they can dig their own secret graves somewhere but I have heard enough about the Phillipines' legal system, the length of time it takes to go to trial, the tampering or outright murder of witnesses. I believe that the people who speak of the wild and wooly East have more than hot air backing their words. I wish it weren't so but what I wish has very little effect on what is. I wish every man accused of a crime could have a speedy trial, face his accusers in court and hopefully have someone versed in the law to make sure he isn't railroaded.

Heaven on earth for criminals does exist here in PH...

http://www.philstar.com/metro/2015/11/05/1518385/guns-drugs-sex-toys-seized-bilibid-raid

Edited by frozenmystic28
  • Like 1

MikeSwede
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, scott h said:

Will it work? Who knows, but here in the Philippines, the people have spoken.

Agreed, I have no difficulty to see the "why". And to the question if it will work, I say no, it wont, not with throphy money on shooting down suspects. You leave it to a single policeman, that in the heat of the moment will have to be acting a full court in a flash of a second. Vigilantes roaming the neighbourhood. Gossip turning half truth to full fabrication of reality.

Lynchmobs supported by the state is the result.

I am seriously not too fond of the current chill in humanity we are seeing, and like you say, it is happening everywhere, gardener to president, poor to rich, powerless to powerful.

Germany had a try at this in the thirties. Better not try it again.

• Like 3

Methersgate
Posted
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, MikeSwede said:

Agreed, I have no difficulty to see the "why". And to the question if it will work, I say no, it wont, not with throphy money on shooting down suspects. You leave it to a single policeman, that in the heat of the moment will have to be acting a full court in a flash of a second. Vigilantes roaming the neighbourhood. Gossip turning half truth to full fabrication of reality.

I am seriously not too fond of the current chill in humanity we are seeing, and like you say, it is happening everywhere, gardener to president, poor to rich, powerless to powerful.

I agree entirely with what MikeSwede writes here.

The solution to the "law and order problem" is not "death squads" - vigilante groups and lynch mobs - but improvements in policing and in the criminal justice system. All the evidence from across the planet shows that the only effective deterrent to crime is the certain knowledge that you will be caught, even if the punishment itself is light.

There is indeed a "current chill in humanity".  We are behaving like nasty children. 

Edited by Methersgate
  • Like 3

Jake
Posted
Posted

Jungle Rules rears its ugly head again.  I believe it will get even uglier if the new president keeps his promise of wiping out corruption, once and for all.  But I'm afraid death threats from well entrenched corrupted govt officials and PNP may one day, be successful.

I wish him the very best of luck.

• Like 3

Methersgate
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Jake said:

Jungle Rules rears its ugly head again.  I believe it will get even uglier if the new president keeps his promise of wiping out corruption, once and for all.  But I'm afraid death threats from well entrenched corrupted govt officials and PNP may one day, be successful.

I wish him the very best of luck.

Jake - we are assuming that Mayor Duterte is himself as pure as the driven snow, despite owning 41 properties and having 17 bank accounts, which is good going on a Mayor's salary... He must be a very talented investor.

• Like 2

Hey Steve
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, MikeSwede said:

I would think rather than throwing money at the problem (increasing police salaries), there needs to be better training at the "academy" level, ie training the police on how to defuse a situation with minimal loss of life so due process can take it's course based on the crime of course. There will be a come to Jesus from the human rights community IMO regarding Duterte's old west version of gun slinging justice. Done in Davao maybe, but I doubt the whole nation will see that same style of justice. There's laws on the books already-many not enforced-so maybe he will need to settle with being the "Enforcer" rather than the "Punisher".

• Like 1

robert k
Posted
Posted
10 minutes ago, Hey Steve said:

I would think rather than throwing money at the problem (increasing police salaries), there needs to be better training at the "academy" level, ie training the police on how to defuse a situation with minimal loss of life so due process can take it's course based on the crime of course. There will be a come to Jesus from the human rights community IMO regarding Duterte's old west version of gun slinging justice. Done in Davao maybe, but I doubt the whole nation will see that same style of justice. There's laws on the books already-many not enforced-so maybe he will need to settle with being the "Enforcer" rather than the "Punisher".

Who will pay to keep all the criminals locked up? If you lock them up, you have to feed them. If you lock them up do you give them medical treatment or do they just die without medical treatment if they get sick? Who pays for all this? The US is a rich country and spends a huge amount of money keeping people locked up. I don't think the Philippines could afford it, even if they could they would be accused of human rights violations in the prisons.

• Like 1