Brown Lives Matter? Not So Much...

mogo51
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, robert k said:

Really? In one post you indict the legal system and in the next you use the example of one honest man to say the culture of corruption doesn't exist?

I was not advocating handouts, I have seen what handouts produce in Oz with the Aboriginals and it is not the answer.

I was trying to put forward that new and different attitudes may bring better results for the poor and needy.  There is evidence that I have watched and read that has not happened over the past 6 years.  This seems to be supoorted by the landslide victory of Duterte.  The people did not want more of the same.

There are some very good areas opening up if Philippines are ready to embrace them.  Where I am for example, over 80% of foreign investment is leaving Thailand as a result of military intervention here.  In addition, the work ethic  or lack of it by Thais and the propensity  of holidays for no particular reason,  has caused International Companies to look elsewhere.  

If Duterte seizes some of these opportunities that is all positive for Philippines.  If he is serious about tackling corruption as he is suggesting, that is also a  good thing.

I don't see any piositives in members here crying foul when Duterte has won by a large majority.  Sooner or later you have to suck it in and say, give it a try and see what happens.  That is what democracy is about.  What he does, whether he swears in public or whatever, the people have spoken - game over.

mogo51
Posted
Posted

Very good point Robert, does seem a contradiction of termsl

i wonder how much more he had to win by for some people to understand democracy at work.  Whether it is what they want or not, is irrelevant.

Methersgate
Posted
Posted

Keep in mind that under the 87 Constitution the winner is the first past the post. That's not the same thing as having a majority. 

• Like 1

Methersgate
Posted
Posted

robert k
Posted
Posted
21 hours ago, Methersgate said:

Sorry, Robert but the steel mill idea is so economically daft that it really must be a cover for corruption.

Duterte wants to build a steel industry at a time when the British steel industry - built and paid for with modern equipment - is closing down because the world is awash with unwanted Chinese steel. China itself has laid off two million - that's TWO MILLION steel workers in the past year - from modern plants.  Duterte wants to build a new steel plant with the necessary port and power... with what money? And why?

Be it noted that Yao (Pacific Steel) and Jacinto (former owner of National Steel) were amongst his campaign backers.

Here's my take on what will happen...

Duterte will announce a big increase in infrastructre spending.. up to 5% of GDP

One or both of his steel industry backers will buy a complete, mothballed, Chinese steel plant, cheap... (they are giving them away..) Incidentally I work for a Chinese shipping company and we move entire factories all the time...

"To encourage the new industry" a tariff will be imposed on imported steel, and preference given to "Filipino steel" (we have been here before, by the way - take another look at "The Pretenders" - written in 62...) 

What a nice deal that will be..

The Philippines has a little iron ore and a little low grade coking coal but the access and the quality is so poor that even when the ore and coal prices were double what they are today these were barely exploited for export. I'm in the business of hauling coal, iron ore and steel across oceans -at this very moment I have two ships discharging Chinese steels in the UK and another with iron ore... I know what is viable and what isn't because we have to adapt our fleet to the conditions... Phlippines steel - isn't!

Chinese steel may be the thing today, but a steel mill will not spring up overnight. In the USA I would expect about 3 years lead time. In the Philippines? Who knows how long? All commodities rise and fall. Cheap steel today is not a reason why you wouldn't need steel or a steel mill 5 years from now. The sooner they start building, the sooner there will be jobs. If the Chinese have some equipment going for cheap, all the better.

• Like 1

i am bob
Posted
Posted (edited)
On 5/20/2016 at 2:15 AM, Methersgate said:

Jake - we are assuming that Mayor Duterte is himself as pure as the driven snow, despite owning 41 properties and having 17 bank accounts, which is good going on a Mayor's salary... He must be a very talented investor.

Once again, you are believing inaccurate information brought out to put Mayor Duterte as the same as the others...  Bank accounts and houses that never did belong to him but a hired mouthpiece claims are and then reported by a couple press outlets as to be factual...  I'm not going to claim he's pure and innocent...  but I also don't want incorrect information spread in the forum about him - or anyone else!

Edited by i am bob
Spelling

robert k
Posted
Posted
39 minutes ago, i am bob said:

Once again, you are believing inaccurate information brought out to put Mayor Duterte as the same as the others...  Bank accounts and houses that never did belong to him but a hired mouthpiece claims are and then reported by a couple press outlets as to be factual...  I'm not going to claim he's pure and innocent...  but I also don't want incorrect information spread in the forum about him - or anyone else!

You have a good point Bob. There have often been times when the press' version of things has severely questioned. That they are assumed credible now, without publishing the evidence may be giving them too much credence.

• Like 2

Methersgate
Posted
Posted

You are quite right. The President-Elect is as pure as the driven snow. I shall inform the Marines accordingly.

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Well Blow me Down, are we only to believe the good things said in the press, That strikes me as selective Media C...P

Nuff said I think :89:

• Like 1

usa32
Posted
Posted
On 5/19/2016 at 7:50 PM, scott h said:

about what appears the blatant  disregard of published laws and common courtesy. His reply was "Its just democracy in action". In other words, if it feels good do it! Nothing is going to happen.

It's great to say to kill criminals. The only problem with that, is when innocent people are targeted, or police start targeting people for other reasons because "they saw them committing a crime"    Which could include foreigners.  That's the fear. I haven't heard much of this in Davao City. But that's my fear.

• Like 2