Manila is More Fun?

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted
14 hours ago, MacBubba said:

The article was written by a local, presumably, for locals.  They already know that Manila is polluted, overcrowded and dirty. 

What it is saying is that the first world, for all its infrastructure and free public services, comes at a higher cost and might not offer some of the things that the locals are accustomed to.

I wouldn't trade Las Vegas, Lake Tahoe, San Diego or San Francisco for any part of Manila and thats just a start.

• Like 1

MacBubba
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Gratefuled said:

I wouldn't trade Las Vegas, Lake Tahoe, San Diego or San Francisco for any part of Manila and thats just a start.

And I am sure others could add to that list.  I am well aware of how a lot of expats feel about Manila.  It just so happens that I have seen a different side to it.  If I were to see Manila on my own, or with a different set of locals, I have no doubt that I would share the opinion of others. 

• Like 4

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
14 hours ago, skyskyper said:

So let's concentrate on the artice

It is either a puff piece, meant to fill up column inches, designed for local consumption or satirical. If we search past topics here on the forum the author has basically taken complaints by "1st World" expats about life here in Manila and has place a positive spin on it.

Example:? Oh yeah, your neighbor might blare Kareoke at 2AM, BUT you can find a street vendor to get a stick of BBQ and a Sari-Sari store open to buy a bottle of beer also!!! It all evens out.

Or does it :89: 

• Like 3

chris49
Posted
Posted

Firstly.

How many of the responders have lived in Manila or QC? As did for almost 6 years.

Agree with the article 99%. Manila is more fun. But having said that I would not live there again, with kids to raise.

On a 3-5 day visit, mostly shopping and visiting food outlets, no bars or clubs. I can say it is awesome, phenomenal, esp for the Class A branded goods. Cheap and with a reasonable quality.

• Like 3

MacBubba
Posted
Posted
36 minutes ago, chris49 said:

Firstly.

How many of the responders have lived in Manila or QC? As did for almost 6 years.

Agree with the article 99%. Manila is more fun. But having said that I would not live there again, with kids to raise.

On a 3-5 day visit, mostly shopping and visiting food outlets, no bars or clubs. I can say it is awesome, phenomenal, esp for the Class A branded goods. Cheap and with a reasonable quality.

I have not made the official move, so my visits to Manila are just that.  However, I have not had to discover Manila.  I did not have to wander around on my own, or put my trust in people I barely knew.  I got to know the Manila of friends and family, which I happened to like greatly. 

Wife and I don't have kids, but I would not have any qualms about raising them there.  I see how the people I know turned out, and I have nothing but admiration for them.

I don't know to what extent I agree with the article, but probably close to the 99% Chris gave it. 

• Like 4

MacBubba
Posted
Posted
23 minutes ago, scott h said:

I do, and while it might be more "fun" in regards to bars, nightclubs etc. etc. etc. (which we do not participate in). It sure is more convenient. Stores, malls, hospitals, restaurants, good reliable internet, only one lengthy power outage in almost 4 years, (typhoon) 4-5 brownouts that lasted less than an hour.

IMO, if it wasn't for the poor road infrastructure and the traffic, it would be close to a 1st world city.  

I agree.

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
23 minutes ago, MacBubba said:

:89: So lets ask a question! Who thinks this Article would entice any one to live there and what would the people think once arriving?

Just asking :shades:

Jack:huh:

Morning All :morning1:

• Like 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
16 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

:89: So lets ask a question! Who thinks this Article would entice any one to live there and what would the people think once arriving?

Morning Jack, I reread the article, and keeping in mind that it was in the Manila Bulletin, and by the general tone of it. I believe it was more for local consumption. Another example of the "Pinoy Pride" syndrome.  Notice the section about "lax" rule enforcement? I translate it to mean,,,,,,,,,"Yes traffic is terrible, but HEY, you can whip a U turn anywhere you want!" :hystery:

But I agree, it sure had the "its more fun in the Philippines" tone.

• Like 4

mogo51
Posted
Posted
17 hours ago, skyskyper said:

Any Manileño already knows this. So let's concentrate on the artice. Which part of the article is untrue?

I was and will concentrate on the article and say it is the same rhetorical stuff that gets put out on a regular basis in so many articles.  As others with far more knowledge than me on this forum, seem to agree.  As rightly said above, they don't get paid to write back stuff about the place.

As I was told when young, believe nothing what you  read and half of what you see.

The truth is that much of Manila is polluted, foul smelling and overcrowded.  That does not mean I hold the same view for much of the remainder of Philippines.  Maybe spread your wings!

• Like 2