Manila is More Fun?

skyskyper
Posted
Posted
21 hours ago, chris49 said:

Timog Ave and Thomas Morato St. Quezon City. Upmarket, and lower level food sometimes with live entertainment.

So Morato is still thriving? I miss those weekends during my College (Uni) days.

• Like 2

skyskyper
Posted
Posted
On 8/1/2016 at 8:12 AM, MacBubba said:

When she told me this before I visited Manila, I couldn't really appreciate what she was saying.  After my first visit to Manila, and doing the rounds with her friends, I finally grasped what she meant. 

Yes, the club scene in the Metro was simply awesome (and wild).

robert k
Posted
Posted

I wonder if the working poor think Manila is more fun?

I think Manila compares favorably, as long as you are not on a tight budget, trying to work a 9-5 job. I believe once you start putting some constraints on the situation, Manila becomes slightly less wonderful, but if you are not cash strapped and your time is your own, more of the good is available to you

• Like 1

MacBubba
Posted
Posted
14 hours ago, skyskyper said:

I'm very familiar with the places you frequent but never heard of Viking's... Buffet 101.

Looks like JGF has posted helpful videos.  And yes, both have branches in the MOA complex.

MacBubba
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, chris49 said:

Funny enough I had more trouble with the traffic around Greenhills, although the parking areas were good. A phenomenal experience and I could easily spend another full day there.

Divvy has a secret multi story parking with access directly to Tutaban. Love the area and since it's just 3km down Recto Ave from where we stay, will head there again in December, next visit.

At certain hours, Greenhills traffic gets snarled up because of the schools letting in and letting out. 

I've certainly heard of the bargains to be had in Divisoria, Baclaran and Quiapo, but until my wife chooses to visit those places, those places will remain as places to experience.

I forgot to mention in my earlier post that I did the Intramuros, Manila Hotel and other historical points of interest when I first visited in the 90's, but haven't gotten around to revisiting.  Maybe some day, when we've moved to the Philippines and we have to play host to visiting Canadians, I will do the tour again.

• Like 2

MacBubba
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, skyskyper said:

Jollygoodfellow, wow that's glutton's paradise. Bad for my growing belly.

The premier buffet in Manila is at the Sofitel Hotel, and it is called Spirale.  During our visit last year, we dropped in for lunch, but it turned out that all their seatings were fully booked because they were having a limited time special.  They said that they could try to squeeze us in if there was a cancellation, but we were really and truly hungry, so we made the trek to the Manila Peninsula, where it turned out the buffet restaurant was undergoing a reno.  So, we ended up at the Manila Pen all you can eat dimsum.  Buffet was not to be had that afternoon.

Before we left Spirale, we did go around the different stations to see what was there to be had.  Let me just say that what we saw certainly left a very favorable and lasting impression.  Can't wait for our next trip.

• Like 2

MacBubba
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, skyskyper said:
On ‎2016‎-‎08‎-‎08 at 11:54 AM, chris49 said:

So Morato is still thriving? I miss those weekends during my College (Uni) days.

Yes, it is thriving, and I think that for as long as the Scout area and the New Manila folks continue to have money to spend, Tomas Morato will always do good business.

• Like 2

MacBubba
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, skyskyper said:

Yes, the club scene in the Metro was simply awesome (and wild).

I don't know about wild.  My wife and her friends are pretty sedate folks, but party they did (my wife can really hold her drink).  

• Like 2

MacBubba
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, robert k said:

I think Manila compares favorably, as long as you are not on a tight budget, trying to work a 9-5 job. I believe once you start putting some constraints on the situation, Manila becomes slightly less wonderful, but if you are not cash strapped and your time is your own, more of the good is available to you

I think that the working poor in Manila think it would be much better to live abroad so they can earn more money.  But, if Manila is really their home, they will miss its tempo wherever they go.

If they are moderately successful in their new home, they might not want to move back, but they will still reminisce about the things they miss.  Or, they might miss it enough to move back when they retire.

This I gather from Filipinos I've met in Toronto.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, robert k said:

I am not poor, so wouldn't know.:hystery:. If I was poor I would still be back home working so I wasn't poor:thumbsup:

• Like 1