Manila is More Fun?

mogo51
Posted
Posted

Well if we are voting, I am a 'No' would not live there. I qualify this by saying at my age, I am past living in busy, noisy, polluted cities, after 40 years in Sydney and another 10 in Brisbane. So I admit I may be prejudicial, give me the quieter life thank you, but not in 'the sticks' still like decent infrastructure.

• Like 3

MacBubba
Posted
Posted

Noted that I was quoted as saying:  "Agree with the article 99%. Manila is more fun. But having said that I would not live there again, with kids to raise. "

I don't know why it picked up my name, but it was Chris who said it.  I know it happens now and then, but just wanted to clarify.

• Like 2

MacBubba
Posted
Posted
36 minutes ago, mogo51 said:

Well if we are voting, I am a 'No' would not live there. I qualify this by saying at my age, I am past living in busy, noisy, polluted cities, after 40 years in Sydney and another 10 in Brisbane. So I admit I may be prejudicial, give me the quieter life thank you, but not in 'the sticks' still like decent infrastructure.

We're at that stage too.  That's why for our impending retirement, we've opted for quiet beachfront, with periodic visits to Manila.

• Like 3

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
11 minutes ago, MacBubba said:

Noted that I was quoted as saying:  "Agree with the article 99%. Manila is more fun. But having said that I would not live there again, with kids to raise. "

I don't know why it picked up my name, but it was Chris who said it.  I know it happens now and then, but just wanted to clarify.

lines (Bart).jpg GUILTY Your Honour  embarrased  man.jpg

• Like 3

chris49
Posted
Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, mogo51 said:

The truth is that much of Manila is polluted, foul smelling and overcrowded.  That does not mean I hold the same view for much of the remainder of Philippines

That is not under dispute Ron.

You have yet to visit San Fernando, Pampanga or Lubao, or Gua Gua Pampanga ( SF Pampanga, not La Union), places that are intermittently flooded, polluted and offer no "fun" per my observation.

I also had "fun" in your area, Pattaya, East Pattaya and Jomtien, but I wouldn't live there either.

Fun in the context of the article means "fun"....give me a decent budget and I could have fun in Manila for sure.

Edited by chris49
  • Like 2

mogo51
Posted
Posted
6 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

lines (Bart).jpg GUILTY Your Honour  embarrased  man.jpg

It's because you are a ventriloquist Jack.

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
13 minutes ago, mogo51 said:

It's because you are a ventriloquist Jack.

:hystery:

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, mogo51 said:

Well if we are voting, I am a 'No' would not live there.

Depends what they consider Manila.  If they are considering adjacent cities then I would vote Yes to living in Alabang.  I think its great, but too expensive. But since the article compares Manila to first world cities then Alabang is way up there on the list that compares cost/livability/climate/traffic/shopping etc.

• Like 3

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, MacBubba said:

And I am sure others could add to that list.  I am well aware of how a lot of expats feel about Manila.  It just so happens that I have seen a different side to it.  If I were to see Manila on my own, or with a different set of locals, I have no doubt that I would share the opinion of others. 

Well, it's like someone once said, "you can put lipstick on a pig but it's still a pig".

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
12 minutes ago, Gratefuled said:

Well, it's like someone once said, "you can put lipstick on a pig but it's still a pig".

My Old C/O used to say paint it, you can't Polish a "Turd"

• Like 1