Timmy's in PH

not so old china hand
Posted
Posted (edited)

I buy the local coffee here. Grown in Yunnan in the Southwest of China. I usually get a breakfast bend which retails for RMB 22 for half a kilo. So a tad under $4 a pound. Nothing fancy, I suspect it is mostly Robustica, but a fifth the price of imported brands.

i drink my coffee black and without sugar so don't like instant coffee, which to me has an unpleasant bitter taste very different to the bitterness of freshly brewed Java. However on occasions when I have been staying with a family in the Philippines they have offered coffee that invariably turns out to be the 3 in 1 that comes in a tube. To my surprise I have always found it drinkable and even enjoyable. Perhaps the provenance helps. ☕️

Edited by not so old china hand
  • Like 2

Sander Martin
Posted
Posted (edited)

The Civet coffee is pure for money venture. If the animals are free, then they choose the most ripe beans to eat (best for poop coffee) and they eat other foods aswell. Most civet coffee comes from farms, where the animals are kept in really shitty conditions and mass feed coffee to produce as much poop coffee as possible. Not the quality they claim on the packaging.

Best to avoid as its no where near the money it costs...

Not a big coffee drinker myself, but i did visit Bo's coffee once or twice a week (they knew me by name and what i want haha). Best coffee i managed to find in PH. 

I totaly hate instant coffee and it seemed that supermarkets only stocked instant coffee in PH (atleast Iloilo)..

Edited by Sander Martin
  • Like 1

i am bob
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Sander Martin said:

The Civet coffee is pure for money venture. If the animals are free, then they choose the most ripe beans to eat (best for poop coffee) and they eat other foods aswell. Most civet coffee comes from farms, where the animals are kept in really shitty conditions and mass feed coffee to produce as much poop coffee as possible. Not the quality they claim on the packaging.

Best to avoid as its no where near the money it costs...

Not a big coffee drinker myself, but i did visit Bo's coffee once or twice a week (they knew me by name and what i want haha). Best coffee i managed to find in PH. 

I totaly hate instant coffee and it seemed that supermarkets only stocked instant coffee in PH (atleast Iloilo)..

Watch for the crystals...  Nescafe Gold would be the probably imported brand...  Great Taste is the popular local brand and much cheaper..   Crystals are also what we know as freeze-dried...

• Like 1

i am bob
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, Gratefuled said:

I just use Coffeemate. There are many different flavors available. Some even sugar free.

I do too...  Unfortunately...  People say to use the full cream but it's too much fat for coffee...  I'm looking for a cheap version of a Magic Bullet...  I've had coffee made with whipped coconut oil before and it's actually better than using coffee cream...  But it has to be whipped at high speeds or it separates after you put it into the coffee...  And oily coffee really sucks - just like using full cream...  Hehe!

• Like 1

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted
50 minutes ago, i am bob said:

I do too...  Unfortunately...  People say to use the full cream but it's too much fat for coffee...  I'm looking for a cheap version of a Magic Bullet...  I've had coffee made with whipped coconut oil before and it's actually better than using coffee cream...  But it has to be whipped at high speeds or it separates after you put it into the coffee...  And oily coffee really sucks - just like using full cream...  Hehe!

I'm borderline diabetic and doc has advised me to take it easy on cholesterol or I will be prescribed Rx for it. 

So, I gotta watch my diet now more than ever.

Yet, I don't want to live to be too old. 

I think California now is allowing medicated suicide. 

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Sander Martin said:

the animals are kept in really shitty conditions and mass feed coffee to produce as much poop coffee as possible.

I understand the logic of this, for the coffee farmer.  Is it not the same as the farmer who supplies the eggs that go with my coffee and my breakfast?  In either case the animals do better than the ones that supply me my bacon.

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
16 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

I understand the logic of this, for the coffee farmer.

I Think I will stay with my 3 in one, Now I guess, one of you will tell me that's got Poop in it too. :89:confused baby.jpg :hystery: 

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
39 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

one of you will tell me that's got Poop in it too

I'm not sure of the ingredients but I know it tastes like sh . . . . . :morning1:

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

I'm not sure of the ingredients but I know it tastes like sh . . . . . :morning1:

:hystery:  AH! so, if you know this, We will not accept "Bobs" invite for coffee :89: He didn't invite us? Bad I say Bad of him:mocking:

• Like 1

i am bob
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, Jack Peterson said:

:hystery:  AH! so, if you know this, We will not accept "Bobs" invite for coffee :89: He didn't invite us? Bad I say Bad of him:mocking:

It wasn't coffee, it was San Miguel...  :mocking: