Trip to the dentist

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
27 minutes ago, jpbago said:

Most people in Canada have insurance from their work that covers all or 80% of the cost, so the cost is high for those that don't have insurance. My wife is covered under my insurance now.

Yes, I did have that, and taking that into consideration it is still cheaper here than paying the 20% deductible.

Example.  A filling and cleaning here costs me 1,000 pesos.  A crown costs me 8,000 pesos.  A root canal is currently costing me 8,000 pesos but that is the "I like you" price.  So compare those prices with what your 20% portion would be in Canada.  Without knowing your plan or your dentist I'm gonna take an educated guess that your portion is at least double what my entire bill is.  But I am surely open to being told different.  Perhaps dentists in Canada are getting cheaper these days.

Now as to the quality?  I can tell you that Canadian dentists are more meticulous with fillings and cleanings but I would compare the crowns and root canals I have had here with those I have had in Canada.  By that I mean you have to pick and choose your dentist and some are crappy here OR in Canada but if you get a good one then I am happy with the Major work I have had done since being here.

Here is what I have had done in the last 6 years or so and what I have paid, just in case you want to run a comparison with your cost in Canada:

4 teeth bridge on front top teeth: 32K pesos

4 porcelain caps at 8K each

countless cleanings and fillings at about 500 a cleaning and 500 a filling on average.

2 root canals at 8K pesos each.

NOTE:  I am British by heritage and one thing we Brits have in common is crappy teeth.

• Like 3

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, stevewool said:

Once over there Emma would like a brace fitted, i wonder what that will cost , but i am assured its much more cheaper then it would be here in England.

ummmm, is that to straighten her teeth or wire your mouth shut???????? (sorry Steve, as you know us Steves can't help ourselves sometimes)

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

That's the cheap part.  Wait until she wants it put back in.  That's when it'll cost ya.

She just told em 4k I said forone tooth she said no I have 4 missing oh well

• Like 2

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted

One thing dentists do differently here we've found, is when you go for a check up and cleaning they don't take routine x-rays of your teeth if you are their patient. They told us that if you came in with an issue on a particular tooth, they could x-ray that but not do a full set.  If you need something more involved done that requires more than one x-ray, a dentist might or will send you to one of those private imaging centers and ask for a panoramic set of x-rays taken. I think it's about 1000 pesos. I've inquired at different dentist offices, and this was the same reply I got. I wouldn't mind doing that for the year next time, but I miss having x-rays done to find a small cavity that can be fixed easily. I don't like the idea of having to wait till I have a real issue with a hidden cavity that has been there a while and gotten bigger, or is now in bad shape. Also I wondered too if the imaging place provided you with a protective lead vest when taking these full mouth x-rays.:89: I'm sure cost is a factor for some patients, and many of our relatives wait for a tooth to go south, because it's cheaper to pull it than fill it.

• Like 4

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
17 hours ago, bigpearl said:

2 bob and a bottle of beer, dentists in Phills are too expensive.

Cheers, steve.

What you have said works out at 36 peso.

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
15 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Yes, I did have that, and taking that into consideration it is still cheaper here than paying the 20% deductible.

Example.  A filling and cleaning here costs me 1,000 pesos.  A crown costs me 8,000 pesos.  A root canal is currently costing me 8,000 pesos but that is the "I like you" price.  So compare those prices with what your 20% portion would be in Canada.  Without knowing your plan or your dentist I'm gonna take an educated guess that your portion is at least double what my entire bill is.  But I am surely open to being told different.  Perhaps dentists in Canada are getting cheaper these days.

Now as to the quality?  I can tell you that Canadian dentists are more meticulous with fillings and cleanings but I would compare the crowns and root canals I have had here with those I have had in Canada.  By that I mean you have to pick and choose your dentist and some are crappy here OR in Canada but if you get a good one then I am happy with the Major work I have had done since being here.

Here is what I have had done in the last 6 years or so and what I have paid, just in case you want to run a comparison with your cost in Canada:

4 teeth bridge on front top teeth: 32K pesos

4 porcelain caps at 8K each

countless cleanings and fillings at about 500 a cleaning and 500 a filling on average.

2 root canals at 8K pesos each.

NOTE:  I am British by heritage and one thing we Brits have in common is crappy teeth.

I had a crown put in over in Dalaguete 3 years ago and it was 500 peso.

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted

I get my dental exams and cleaning once a year when I go back to the states. So far, just fillings. I had my wisdom teeth removed a long time ago. 

Once, the lady who cleans my teeth asked me, "when was the last time you ate popcorn? I answered, " about 4 moths ago". she said  something like, "Peuw" and we both laughed. It had not been that long but it is hard to get out even with flossing. I usually do not floss. I just use a toothpick.

mogo51
Posted
Posted
18 hours ago, sonjack2847 said:

Well she is back from the dentist her tooth is out and she had them cleaned 1200 peso.I have to pay so it hurts me more than her I think.

How are things in Jerusalem Kev????

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
19 minutes ago, mogo51 said:

OUCH.jpg :whistling:

Jack :mellow:

Morning All :photo-109:

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, sonjack2847 said:

I had a crown put in over in Dalaguete 3 years ago and it was 500 peso.

48 minutes ago, mogo51 said:

Not sure where you are going with this but I'm thinking 500 pesos is cheap, even for a crown of thorns.  How in the heck do you get a dental crown for 500 pesos unless they just gave you a huge lump of filling material?  I've had that done but thats the kind that falls out in time.