Do you still eat Western food?

Mark Berkowitz
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, Jack Peterson said:

Do you have a Belcris near you?;

http://website.belcris.com/

Pretty Good for a lot of things :smile:

Thanks Jack! Belcris looks like a another great place to shop but it's also too far away from me. My family wants to move away from Batangas for many reasons and this is just one of the reasons--i.e. there are no high end stores to shop at, especially for food and especially for western sources of meats and other ingredients. Even the local 'Pure Gold,' which is not even a high end type of market seems like it will be going out of business soon, since the most of the locals are always looking for the cheapest places to buy food.

• Like 2

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

There a couple of online shops selling foreign goods. The Welsh deli and Mikes imported English goods who deliver.

• Like 1

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

I do pretty well with adjusting recipes for local ingredients.  My wife has taken a liking to tossed salad (I make a nice vinaigrette). And she actually requests my wiener schnitzel and stir fry (ok, stir fry is not strictly Western ha ha).  I make a mean pot of chili, my baked mac is always a hit at parties. I have a cheesy baked mac, and a garlic/shrimp baked mac; my asawaswang lets me know which one to make for which party. (asawaswang is my own "Tagalog" word. It means my wife is a vampire :christmas_emoticons_187:)

I would love to make a nice lasagna, but even S&R does not have ricotta. So, no luck. I am about to order a gas grill from Lazada so I can do some grilling at home. No sense in firing up wood or uling for one steak ha ha.

• Like 4

intrepid
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Tukaram (Tim) said:

I do pretty well with adjusting recipes for local ingredients.  My wife has taken a liking to tossed salad (I make a nice vinaigrette). And she actually requests my wiener schnitzel and stir fry (ok, stir fry is not strictly Western ha ha).  I make a mean pot of chili, my baked mac is always a hit at parties. I have a cheesy baked mac, and a garlic/shrimp baked mac; my asawaswang lets me know which one to make for which party. (asawaswang is my own "Tagalog" word. It means my wife is a vampire :christmas_emoticons_187:)

I would love to make a nice lasagna, but even S&R does not have ricotta. So, no luck. I am about to order a gas grill from Lazada so I can do some grilling at home. No sense in firing up wood or uling for one steak ha ha.

Okay Tim,  I'm sold.  Next time your in my area you are invited for lunch,..and dinner.  Just give ma a list for the market and the kitchen and grill are yours!:SugarwareZ-047::th_thbarbaque:

• Like 5

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Tukaram (Tim) said:

Do you deliver ?

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, sonjack2847 said:

Do you deliver ?

Yeah... to my table ha ha  :tiphat:

• Like 2

davewe
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Having a nice meal of Yellowfin Tuna and rice as I write this.  We took a walk to the market and bought 4 big slices for 90 pesos so that will feed the 2 of us for 2 nights.  Lynn cooks it at home, just fries it and serves it with rice.  As good as western food once you get used to eating rice most meals.  And the beauty of it is:  I never find any bones in this fish and yet its tasty ,mmmmmmmmmm.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yellowfin_tuna

I love many types of fish. Since salmon is king here in the Northwest, I eat it often. At first Janet did not like it but within a year or two came around and now likes it a lot and has gotten used to the concept that not all fish has to be fried. No idea whether there is anything in the Philippines that comes close to salmon, but as I say since I like fish in general, am not anticipating any big fish issues, especially since Jack says I can get good fish and chips in Dumaguete.

• Like 3

virginprune
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, davewe said:

I love many types of fish. Since salmon is king here in the Northwest, I eat it often. At first Janet did not like it but within a year or two came around and now likes it a lot and has gotten used to the concept that not all fish has to be fried. No idea whether there is anything in the Philippines that comes close to salmon, but as I say since I like fish in general, am not anticipating any big fish issues, especially since Jack says I can get good fish and chips in Dumaguete.

Salmon is available but hideously expensive, where I am anyway. They have another fish that the locals call salmon, pronouncing the L, that is actually rather like sea bass regarding taste and texture.

Good on you Tim for making your own salad dressing, I do too and nothing is easier!