Philippines Nuclear Plant Opening

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
12 minutes ago, Steve GCC said:

I think Solar is the way to go.............

In many ways and in many places I agree, but put yourself in the shoes of the local electric company:

Someone comes to you with this huge amount of solar power they are harvesting from a 10 sq km field and offers to sell it to you cheap because it is so cheap to produce.  Hey this is great.  So you tell them that your peak period of demand is from 6 pm to 9 pm when all  your customers get home from work and cook dinner, turn on the aircon, have a hot shower and watch tv etc.   Now the solar company tells you that the sun goes down at 6pm in Philippines and they have no way of saving all that power to use after the sun goes down.

So whose going to provide the power during the peak period?  Do you think someone is gonna build a power plant when the electric company only wants to buy their power for a few hours a day because they use cheap solar the rest of the time?  I can't see it working until that solar plant can produce consistent power 24/7.  Can it?

• Like 1

Steve GCC
Posted
Posted

In so many countrys where power has scheduled brown outs, throughout the day, year round I think every little helps.  The added benefit it is cheap in comparison to many alternative fuels and environmentally friendly.

• Like 2

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

I've read a few reports on Solar and by all accounts if it wasn't for subsidies it would be like a lead balloon. The panels are relatively inefficient and expensive to produce. A case of taking tax payers billions to produce millions. 

• Like 2

Steve GCC
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

fuel pellets to fuel Generator Furnaces 

In uk lived c10 miles from a power station fueled entirely by chicken poo pellets and never saw smoke or smelly anything there, was about 12 years ago.  

• Like 3

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, Steve GCC said:

In uk lived c10 miles from a power station fueled entirely by chicken poo pellets and never saw smoke or smelly anything there, was about 12 years ago.  

Thar you go

• Like 1

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted
17 minutes ago, Snowy79 said:

The panels are relatively inefficient and expensive to produce.

Not to mention very UN-environmentally friendly to produce. I have seen (memory so no link) including the production of panels and 20 years later disposal of them when replaced in the formula, clean coal plants rate above solar as clean energy.

• Like 2

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted
20 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

Not too sure if that would be fitting here.

To my mind, the PI needs to get its waste problem under control, Compacting the waste into fuel pellets to fuel Generator Furnaces would kill 2 birds with one stone it has been tried and works, The Visayas has such a Compactor left to rot now and Manila had one that was successful but President Arroyo Poo Pooed the Idea so Both companies gave up maybe before embarking on things they may not understand & can  ill afford  they should think again about reducing waste OH! the fall out of Smoke? well it does not seem to worry many with all the Pollution here already

JMHO 

That seems like a better option, the other one is still good. Covering the landfill and recovering the methane (gasul) it produces.

• Like 2

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Steve GCC said:

In so many countrys where power has scheduled brown outs, throughout the day, year round I think every little helps.  The added benefit it is cheap in comparison to many alternative fuels and environmentally friendly.

Safe nuclear power able to be built in smaller plants, burning 99.0% of fuel vs 0.7% of fuel the current plants burn, running at high temperature so carbon can be reclaimed from the air for production of a diesel replacement, built on a coast can also be used to run as a desalination plant, with byproducts being medical isotopes and isotope used to run spacecraft and satellites (both of which are in short supply), and no byproducts weaponizable. All running 24 hours a day. Seems to trump (no relation) every other energy source to me.

Watch the video, search and watch other videos for more information.

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
6 minutes ago, AlwaysRt said:

All running 24 hours a day. Seems to trump (no relation) every other energy source to me.

I don't think Generating is the problem here, it is the Distribution and that won't change for decades, and until they can do away with overhead spaghetti in towns etc; the problem will always be there. Almost every time there is a "Brownout" it is either a Pole gone or cable breaks and such like, "Cart before the Horse" springs to mind :89: It is what it is 

• Like 3